Profile for M. S Worthington > Reviews

Content by M. S Worthington

M. S Worthington (Birmingham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
iGadgitz Pink & White Flowers Silicone Skin Case Cover for Apple iPod Touch 4th Generation 8gb, 32gb, 64gb + Screen Protector
Offered by iGadgitz

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product. Delivered quickly., 16 Nov 2010
Excellent cover. Looks really great on the iPod. The screen cover is very fiddly to apply, and almost impossible to do so without some air bubbles but generally a great product.

Officium
Officium
Price: 11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful sounds., 16 Jan 2007
This review is from: Officium (Audio CD)
The first track on this CD takes my breath away every time I hear it. It really is stunningly beautiful.

However, if you are like the poor unfortunate "music fan" above who has become such a purist that you fail to just sit back and listen to beautiful sounds and melodies (this being after all what music is in its most basic form) then please don't buy this. No, saxaphone and choral music at first sounds like a disaster...but this WORKS. Yes, as one reviewer has already mentioned, some tracks work better than others, but music is there to be enjoyed, to be played with, to have fun with and enjoyed. I am betting the reviewer above is also one of the select few who cannot abide Classic FM because it has "commercialised THEIR music". Such a shame. Enjoy this music for what it is and if, like our friend "the above reviewer" you do not like the sound of a beautifully played saxaphone, this is fine, just acknowledge that you don't like sax music, rather than slating a talented musician.

To those who still let their ears and their hearts do the listening, rather than some pompous ideas about "knowing about music", listen to this. You'll love it.

Mario Party 6 with Microphone (GameCube)
Mario Party 6 with Microphone (GameCube)

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally excellent but with flawed new technology, 1 May 2005
This is the best Mario Party game released...that is certain. Because I play a lot of computer games, I used to thrash my regular Mario Party buddies at almost all the mini-games, because they generally required only a handful of pad skills and were not that varied. However, Mario Party 6 is a much more balanced game and even my mother managed to win the mini-game star (this really is a miracle on the record of the previous games).
The only issue we have is the microphone. Don't get me wrong, we LOVE the idea of the microphone, and the games are great when they work. However, it is quite clear this microphone was programmed with an american accent for the english-speaking market. Before, there was no way to cheat in a Mario Party game, or no way for something to go wrong that would spoil the outcome of the game. Now there is both. The microphone is sometimes VERY bad at recognising what you say (especially directions or numbers). Even if you speak very clearly and slowly it still mucks up.
All the same, there are only a handful of microphone games and it is possible to turn them off if you desire. All in all, this is a fantastic game and well worth the money.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars 10 years to make this?, 24 Dec 2004
Yes, I am very suprised that this machine took 10 years to design. Why? Because the machine really isn't very good for 10 years in the making, particularly because the coffee is very sub-standard.
The main problem with this machine though is all the hype about "the unique crema layer". Yes, the crema layer is unique in that it isn't actually a crema at all. One review above was correct in that a crema is due to the force used to drive the water through the coffee, but the Senseo does not produce this. A true crema should be a creamy layer (naturally occuring residues are responsible for this). All you get with the Senseo is a layer of bubbles, which you certainly shouldn't get with a crema. Quite simply, the Senseo doesn't use enough force or good enough coffee to produce a crema.
Yes, the machine is easy to use and for the price it isn't awful but be aware of what you are buying. If you are after a real coffee with a REAL crema, go for an espresso machine.

About Schmidt [DVD] [2003]
About Schmidt [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Jack Nicholson|Hope Davis
Offered by Jasuli
Price: 3.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't do exactly what it says on the tin..., 3 Feb 2004
This review is from: About Schmidt [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Hmmmm. This is my thoughts on this one. After considering the film I do admit that it is superbly acted and certainly emotional. The problem is that it has been hailed as "funny" and "outrageous". Well, calling it funny is certainly outrageous. I sat there with a friend and we both started saying things like "well, perhaps that was a funny bit" or "maybe that got a better laugh in the cinema". We were literally trying to figure out what the funny bits were. I think perhaps those who found it funny are those so caught up in their own success that they view this as something that "couldn't possibly be real". That is the conclusion I came to anyway. This film is powerful and I think if you view it in that frame of mind then you stand a good chance of getting something from it. Just don't do as I did and put it on as a film to cheer up a very depressed friend due to all the hype about it being so funny. It really wasn't.

The Color Purple  [1985] [DVD]
The Color Purple [1985] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Danny Glover
Price: 3.80

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 29 Oct 2001
Although the lack of many special features should take it down a star, I really don't have the heart to give this DVD anything less than 5 stars. In fact, I really would like to give it 6, the film is just that good!

Queer Bashing: A National Survey of Hate Crimes Against Lesbians and Gay Men
Queer Bashing: A National Survey of Hate Crimes Against Lesbians and Gay Men
by Jack Straw

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, disturbing and often thoroughly shocking., 15 May 2001
This book is perhaps one of the most shocking texts I have ever read. The information contained within this book makes for an interesting read and shows how far the gay and lesbian community still have to go to achieve equality and a welcome place in society as a whole. The accounts from many gay people are perhaps the most shocking part of this book and at times descrive horrific violence, harassment and taunting. Although I bought this book 5 years after the survey contained within was carried out, the majority of the information still rings true today. A truly thought-provoking and often emotional read, especially for the gay community.

Adiemus - The Journey
Adiemus - The Journey
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 10.47

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring, relaxing and very enjoyable album..., 21 April 2001
This review is from: Adiemus - The Journey (Audio CD)
If you want an album to relax to whatever the time of year, THIS album is IT. The beautiful blend of classical and world music is simply wonderful and is the perfect soother after a hectic day... 10 out of 5!!

White On Blonde
White On Blonde
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 1.40

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!, 17 Mar 2001
This review is from: White On Blonde (Audio CD)
In some ways, it is a shame that Texas had to wait for this album to make them BIG!! It amazes me that it took 4 albums for the amazing talent of this group, and the beautiful voice of Sharleen Spiteri to be realised fully. I absolutley love "put your arms around me", it really is a beautiful song and I can listen to it over and over without growing tired of it at all. In an era ruled by teeny-pop its a shame that bands like Texas often get ignored by so many (although I do own some "pop" albums myself) and I would urge any music fan to purchase this album.

The Dark Crystal [DVD] [1982]
The Dark Crystal [DVD] [1982]
Dvd ~ Jim Henson
Offered by WorldCinema
Price: 7.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer brilliance!!, 16 Mar 2001
This is a film I have owned for many years on VHS and I have always been captivated by it. So, when I saw it was available on DVD I HAD to buy it and I have not been dissapointed. The sheer brilliance of what Jim Henson and his team created considering it was made almost 20 years ago is amazing!! What is also wonderful about this DVD is that the original colours have been wonderfully restored and I now notice things in the film that I never noticed on my VHS edition because they are so much easier to see. Some of the extras are brilliant as well, especially the documentary which is a fascinating insight into the making of this classic film! I have to say, I was a little dissapointed with the deleted scenes feature as I expected to have more commentary about why the scenes were deleted and also many of the scenes are just original takes on scenes that did make it into the film and were just altered slightly (sometimes u can't notice the difference other than the film quality).
However, if you have never seen this film, or if you are already a passionate Dark Crystal fan, I urge you to buy this DVD, it really is money well spent!!!

Page: 1 | 2