Profile for Dave C > Reviews

Otosan Ear Cones Twin Pack - CLF-OTO-SE02
Otosan Ear Cones Twin Pack - CLF-OTO-SE02
Offered by Happy & Healthy

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 2 Jan. 2015
Be aware. This is OTO-WAX. It is NOT Oto-San. Fake product from China.

Hair Colour Permanent Hair Cream Dye Light Grey Pearl White Reflect
Hair Colour Permanent Hair Cream Dye Light Grey Pearl White Reflect
Offered by Siam Store

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 30 Dec. 2014
Instructuions in a foreign language. Made in Thailand!

Cantilever LCD Monitor TV Arm Bracket Wall Mount with Swivel and Tilt
Cantilever LCD Monitor TV Arm Bracket Wall Mount with Swivel and Tilt
Offered by Cable Mountain

1.0 out of 5 stars Three issues, 6 Feb. 2012
I bought this TV bracket because it was automatically recommended by Amazon when purchasing a small 16" TV. It turns out that the bracket does not actually fit the TV as implied. Despite having the standard 75mmx75mm holes needed for the TV, the bracket is very wide at the edges; and these edges get in the way of some parts of the TV, which untimately make it impossible to fit. If I had an angle-grinder or metal saw I could chop off the wide parts. However, if you have resort to extreme measures to make it fit, then there's probably something wrong. In attempting to return the item, I encountered "death by a thousand e-mails" from the seller. Every day I received another e-mail asking a series of questions that had already been answered in previous e-mails. Eventually I received an e-mail simply stating that the bracket should fit, so there shouldn't be a problem. I'm still pursuing the issue and hope to let you know if it gets resolved. The final issue which I suspect some of you will have is that the wall mount is extremely narrow where it attachs to the wall, and doesn't give confidence that it will spread the load effectively. I worry that if you attach it to a less than solid wall, you may find the weight of the TV and bracket pulling the whole thing away from the wall. I suspect that some people will be happy with their purchase and will therefore rate the product highly; my own finding is that the product was simply not fit for purpose and will have to be returned; if I can get past the seller's unusual approach to returns. I hope this review helps you in your own purchase decision.

Suunto T4c Heart Rate Monitor
Suunto T4c Heart Rate Monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with the T4C, 4 Mar. 2010
The first thing I should say is that I'm very happy with the T4C - more than I thought I would be. The reason is pretty much down to how the Training Effect (TE) and Coach facilities have changed my behaviour in training.

Here's how it works:

The Training Effect (TE) essentially takes the whole heart rate zones thing and, combining it with how long you train in certain zones, simplifies it into a single number between 1 and 5. This I found to be very easy to follow and, surprisingly, much more motivating than the normal "zone" training from previous heart rate monitors I had used. I find I push myself a little further each time to hit certain TE goals.

The Coach facility suggests a rolling 5-day training plan (in terms of TE and duration) - for example, Monday: train at TE 3.2 for 60 minutes; Tuesday train at TE 4.5 for 45 minutes; Wednesday Rest; Thursday train at TE 2.5 for 75 minutes; Friday Rest. You can choose to follow the plan if you like; the Coach facility automatically adjusts the plan if you don't. It also proposes different programs depending on your progress. For example; as my fitness improved, it offered to increase the intensity of my workout plan. It also offered to adjust my maximum heart rate upwards as I became fitter and my heart became stronger.

The big benefit for me was helping me to understand when to rest and when to push myself. Before getting the Suunto, I found that I often over-trained, which led to too many recovery days or wasted (and shorter) training sessions. Now I'm able to train more effectively, more often, and to be content that my rest days are part of my training program. The Coach facility gives me something to aim for. If I hit or exceed my targets I feel very smug with myself. And when it tells me to rest, I feel I'm taking a well deserved rest (I no longer feel guilty). If I'm unable to train for any reason, I know the Suunto will simply recalculate to get me back on track.

Another important positive for me is the strength of signal from the chest strap to the watch. I do a lot of boxing so can't wear the watch when I'm wearing boxing gloves, hitting pads or sparring. I can however, attach the watch to the edge of the ring or set it on a bench (typically 5-15ft away) and the Suunto reads the signal perfectly.

If you want to track (and upload) your progress over time, there is an accessory (POD) that connects wirelessly to the Suunto. However the POD seems expensive at about £59 and I found it pretty easy to type the figures (TE, duration, average HR, maximum HR, kcals, etc) onto a spreadsheet myself. The T4C automatically remembers your last 15 training sessions, so I don't have to upload the data every day.

Two minor niggles are: (i) the Easy-Scratch face, which now has two small scratches after 6 months use, and (2) the very poor back-light. I understand that these issues can be important to some people. Since I bought the Suunto as a training aid rather than as a fashion watch (scratches) and I use it either indoors in the evening or outdoors during the day (backlight), I find the issues to be minor points.

I hope you find this useful.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 (3 PC, 1 Year subscriptions) (PC)
Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 (3 PC, 1 Year subscriptions) (PC)

1.0 out of 5 stars Regularly brought my PC to a standstill, 28 Sept. 2009
After using McAfee and Norton for years, I was taken in by Kaspersky's own performance claims and bought the Kaspersky Internet Suite. Worst software decision I ever made. It regularly ground my PC and laptop to a halt and endlessly threw up annoying pop-ups asking whether I wanted to allow one thing or another. I removed the software after three weeks and bought McAfee Internet suite. Like the Norton product, I have found McAfee to be infinitely easier to use and more effective at looking after my computers. The Kaspersky went into the bin - a complete waste of money, time and effort - and a source of great anxiety.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 12, 2011 10:39 PM GMT

Stretching Scientifically: A Guide to Flexibility Training
Stretching Scientifically: A Guide to Flexibility Training
by Tom Kurz

1.0 out of 5 stars Confusing and poorly written, 10 April 2009
I had high expectations for this book given the amount of hype that continues to surround the book. I was disappointed when I later noticed that a lot of the hype appears to have been manufactured by the author himself.
Overall I found the book to be poorly written and extremely confusing. It appears to contain a few simple messages hidden by a lot of jargon and hyperbole (to make the author sound more important and clever than he is?).
It was a real chore to get through the book and I had to read and re-read sections to find the point being made - often without success. By the end of the book I felt like I had wasted a lot of time and knew very little more about stretching than when I started.
The very lenghty FAQs section at the back is a clue to how confusing and unhelpful the book can be. Many of the questions (from people who had read the book and been as confused as I was) mirrored my own questions after reading the book. Most often I found the answers in the FAQ section to be patronising and dismissive "this will be obvious if you just read page XX in the section on YY again" was a typical response. My thoughts were "if it was obvious after reading this section then we wouldn't be asking the question".
I eventually threw the book away. If I still had it I would send it to you for free so that you wouldn't have to waste your hard-earned money on another copy.

Pinnacle Dazzle DVD Recorder (PC)
Pinnacle Dazzle DVD Recorder (PC)

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately it just didn't work, 4 Dec. 2008
I bought this product to convert my VHS tapes to DVD. The whole thing seemed straightforward and some of the reviews were positive - always what I want to hear. Turns out it wasn't so simple. I bought the Pinnacle and the cables recommened by Amazon. I loaded the software onto my 1-year old (very fast and capable) PC (with XP) and it simply froze before the end. Uninstalled and re-installed but it still didn't work. Turned off virus-checkers, firewalls, and everything else and tried again - no success. I tried it on my 2-year old laptop (also XP) and it finaly installed itself. I connected the device to my VCR and laptop - exactly as suggested and nothing worked. I then spent four days (countless hours) trying to identfy the problem; this included telephone calls and trips to PC experts and shops to isolate the problem. I tried various hardware/adapter and software solutions. Finally after trying a 2-way scart adapter I got a picture. Things seemed to be working. I pressed record and the recording was saved to the appropriate place. When I clicked on the saved file I got a message saying that Windows did not recognise the file extension. Pinnacle customer support sent me a link to software that they said should work, so I downloaded that, uninstalled the old version and installed the new. Tried it all again and it still didn't work. I do know quite a bit about computers but have not been able to get the product to work on either of two very good computers, using software provided on disc and software sent by Pinnacle. I'm sorry to say that I could not recommend this product to you; nor could I recommend Pinnacle customer support who really didn't seem to know much about the type of hardware or software involved. I do wish I'd seen a review like this before I bought the product. It would have saved me a lot of time & frustration. I'll now try a different solution to getting my VHS tapes onto DVD. Perhaps you'll have better luck than I did.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2012 12:49 AM GMT