Profile for Amy C > Reviews

Amy C (England)

This Is All Yours [Explicit]
This Is All Yours [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars A band that grow on you, 11 Nov. 2014
Alt-J have always been a band that grow on me. I first heard them because my brother was playing a song from 'An Awesome Wave' and originally I wasn't sure but I listened to a couple of others and then the entire album and a couple of weeks later I was hooked. The same is true of 'This Is All Yours', there are stand-out tracks as always but the album works best when listened through. Thoroughly enjoyable, and different, music.

Jazooli Replacement High Capacity Internal Battery for Apple iPhone 5
Jazooli Replacement High Capacity Internal Battery for Apple iPhone 5

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but make sure the battery's Japanese., 3 Aug. 2014
Firstly, I can't fault the service I received from this company. They were polite, prompt with solving issues and happy to replace faulty parts.

The first battery I received was made in China and the print was crumpled in places, we tried it anyway and all it did was make my phone restart every five minutes (the screen would dim for a moment then restart). So I sent that battery back.
The second one was made in Japan and visibly better, we put it in and at first it did much the same but after a couple of restarts settled down and is now working perfectly, it is also identical to the original battery (also made in Japan).
The screwdrivers's aren't really small enough but all the other tools work fine if you are careful in their use.

Overall, I would make sure you get a battery from Japan (it says on the back) and make sure you are confident in taking apart a somewhat fiddly phone before attempting to replace it, so long as you follow the instructions from a site such as https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+5+Battery+Replacement/10587(I would recommend skipping steps 8-11 and getting someone else to hold the screen up for you so you limit chances of damaging something else) the phone should be fine. Whatever you do, don't lever the battery out near the logic board connection, if necessary use the side next to the edge of the phone, if you damage the logic board it's one heck of a job to replace it.

Sherlock - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Sherlock - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch
Offered by Shop4World

5.0 out of 5 stars I am Sherlocked, 10 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Sherlock - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
A couple of years ago I was introduced to the world of Sherlock Holmes through Guy Ritchie's film, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and consequently began to read the books. I remember watching the trailer for Sherlock and doubting that the series would work, never have I been so glad to be proved so wrong.

First and foremost is the script Moffatt, Thompson and Gatiss seamlessly made the script accessible to Sherlock newbies whilst simultaneously adding in one-line references to make Sherlockians snicker, anyone who has read the books can tell that they're fans of the originals. By bringing Sherlock into the 21st century they have also managed to remain completely true to Conan-Doyle's books whilst giving the franchise and new and exciting change. Sherlock just fits beautifully into the 21st century, John Watson is invalided home from Afghanistan - just as in the original. Whilst the Victorian setting added to the beauty of the stories I think the focus was always meant to be on the characters and their interactions, and the writers to just that. Sherlock, as Conan-Doyle, was at the forefront of the science of the time and Sherlock using a mobile phone or the internet is doing the same for the modern age. The writing is - simply put - a joy to behold.

Then there's the acting. Benedict Cumberbatch is, as always, exemplary and he was born to play this role, keeping Sherlock both true to the originals and just on the side of likeable. Over the series Cumberbatch beautifully portrays Sherlock's slow shift to becoming more human and by the end of series two he had me in tears. Now I can barely remember a time when Cumberbatch wasn't a household name! Martin Freeman was also the perfect choice, the complete opposite of Cumberbatch's portrayal Freeman really brings the production down to earth, his reaction shots provide the audience with something to relate to and he has a beautiful understated way of bringing John Watson to live. Together their chemistry is enthralling and electric.

I must of course, give a shout-out to the secondary characters as well, Andrew Scott rightfully won his BAFTA for his chilling and hilarious Jim Moriarty but equally impressive are Una Stubbs as the motherly Mrs Hudson, Rupert Graves' exasperated father-figure Greg Lestrade, Louise Brealey as the likeable Molly Hooper all add to the perfectly cast show. Even Mark Gatiss sneaking in as Mycroft Holmes, whom he plays magnificently. You have to keep an eye on them during any scene they're in.

Finally I must highlight those behind the scenes, the directors for being so endlessly inventive, the costume designers for really bringing the characters to life, the hauntingly fitting soundtrack, even the guy who taught Cumberbatch the violin - they all played a vital role in bringing the best thing on the box in years to life, watching unlockign Sherlock and listening to the commentaries really drew my attention to the smaller details.

So thank you BBC for Sherlock, you've restored my faith in British television, long may it continue.

The Silly Side of Sherlock Holmes: A Brand New Adventure Using a Bunch of Old Pictures
by Philip Ardagh

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarous my dear Watson, 29 Nov. 2010
I recently found this book and couldn't help but buy it, I was giggling all night as the captions fit the pictures perfectly and create their own mini-stories. Watch out for the lottery ticket, the elcetric chair and a lion costume. A worthwhile buy for those who want a good laugh at a bit of priceless silliness.

Sherlock Holmes [DVD] [2009]
Sherlock Holmes [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Robert Downey Jr
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Roll on number two!, 17 May 2010
This review is from: Sherlock Holmes [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Just a pointer to the amazing quality of the acting in Sherlock Holmes, when I first watched this I didn't realise that Holmes was played by an American (well done on a very convincing accent Downey Jr). I wish I could have seen it twice because this film is so full of banter, actions and beautifully pitched characters that you couldn't possibly catch everything on the first viewing.
Ok, so it's not the traditional image of the famous pair, but having now read the books I can see just how true this film is to the original stories. It jumps between action, the serious and the comedy and has something that everyone can enjoy. There are so many quotes from the books and Holmes and Watson's relationship is played out perfectly by Downey Jr and Law. It might not be your grandparent's idea of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson but it's a fresh view and it's certainly worth the watch, this new action-hero Holmes appealed to both me and my parents. What can I say? Roll on the next one!