Profile for Colin J. Herd > Reviews

Content by Colin J. Herd

Colin J. Herd "colin j herd" (Edinburgh)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
New Collected Poems
New Collected Poems
by George Oppen
Price: 14.08

5.0 out of 5 stars tricky, 21 Nov 2008
This review is from: New Collected Poems (Paperback)
I was recently at the Oppen conference in Edinburgh and Michael Davidson, who has done a fantastic job of editing this collection, gave a fascinating paper about 'class' issues in Oppen's poetry and poetics. He shone his beady torch straight at fascinating examples that really drew attention to the tensions paradoxes at the heart of this body of work.

George Oppen, one of the great poets associated with the Objectivist movement, writes with a spareness and stuttering rhythm that is made even more interesting by the big gap, or to use Rachel Blau Duplessis' term 'fold or crimp', in his career: Oppen did not write poetry for almost thirty years from the thirties till 1958. If you have never read his work then I suggest you take a punt on this book. To whet your voracious hungers: Artist.

' he breaks the silence
and yet he hesitates, half unwilling

something comes to his mind
it is something about something'

So aware of artists' self-absorption yet so self conscious itself, I can't get over how surprising, tense and intricate this poem, and the rest of Oppen's poetry, is.

This is a beautiful edition and comes with a CD of Oppen reading which is definitely not to be missed!!

Juno [DVD] [2007]
Juno [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Ellen Page
Offered by gowingsstoreltd
Price: 2.75

5.0 out of 5 stars give me an I give me a N give me a D give me an I give me an E, 21 Nov 2008
This review is from: Juno [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
If someone recommends a film I generally go and see it, or buy it on dvd. But if loads of people tell me about a film before i've been to see it or bought it I often don't bother. So that explains why I have only just got around to watching this. My mum leant it me (thanks, mum).

It is fun, sassy, and the characters are complex. It resists simplistic moral judgements. The acting is great, if you like quirkyness better than realism. In the same vein as other indie-mega-hits like miranda july's 'me and you and everyone we know' but i think less cloyingly and studiedly cuckoo than that movie.

Really enjoyable. Borrow it off your mum.

Disturbia [DVD]
Disturbia [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shia LaBeouf
Price: 3.75

4.0 out of 5 stars spy on your neighbours, get the girl!!!, 17 Nov 2008
This review is from: Disturbia [DVD] (DVD)
I really like the actor David Morse and he steals the show here. Well Labeouf is pretty good here too, in a very boy-next-door way, but Morse is genuinely frightening. The plot unravels in a pretty shoddy way. I mean what happens at the end? I understand it's a fun film but none of the characters look at all shaken up by what's happened; it's a bit sick actually, as if this is what happens regularly.

much camper than rear window, and downright silly in places, it is worth a watch, if that's your cup of tea and i have to admit it is mine.

LOST
LOST
by SIMON FAITHFULL

5.0 out of 5 stars don't lose this book, 12 Nov 2008
This review is from: LOST (Hardcover)
I swear Simon Faithfull loses more things than the average person. I have never lost my passport as he has. The only thing I can seriously be counted on to lose is watches, so i've stopped wearing them. But Faithfull's book, 'An Inventory of Wayward Things' is a quite beautiful meditation with photos of things that have been lost. Some things slip away, some are stolen, and the disappearance of some bring with them consequences.

Psychogeography (Pocket Essentials)
Psychogeography (Pocket Essentials)
by Merlin Coverley

4.0 out of 5 stars hand in chtcheglov, 12 Nov 2008
i have sympathy for the positive and the negative reviews of this book, though i must say i zipped through it and liked it a lot. it is a 'pocket essential' introduction to the ideas of psychogeography. it traces psychogeography from bases in london (defoe, machen, blake, de quincey, sinclair, home, keiller) and paris (baudelaire, benjamin, debord). It introduces the ideas and although there is much left out [i personally think frank o'hara is the psychogeographer of new york] and although it is very london-paris-centric it does raise questions and gives interesting facts. Not bad at all, but I'm waiting on a really really great intro to psychogeography. oh and i agree with the reviewer who said merlin requires a better editor and proof reader. i went looking for chtcheglov's name spelled chtchelgov, since that is how it is spelled at one time in the book, and at others it is spelled correctly. i mean: is it not a difficult enough name as it is???

The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old-Fashioned Recipes from New York's Sweetest Bakery
by Jennifer Appel
Price: 15.27

5.0 out of 5 stars just one more..., 6 Nov 2008
No matter how many pounds you expend on this book you will get them all back, and more! They may not be the kind of pounds you want, but as you're standing on the scales seeing another stone clock up, you will, at least, be happy! These recipes are so feel-good! I mean, I never had 'Oatmeal Muffins' before but I feel like I've been eating them all my life, so nostalgic i feel munching into one. The recipes are fairly simple, and they always seem to work. The cakes are invariably FANTASTIC. Try the apple and walnut butterscotch layer cake. gee, that sure is the kind of cake momma used to make. What am I talking aabout? I don't speak like that.... but this book makes me, so good are these cakes.

The Cat And The Canary [1979] [DVD]
The Cat And The Canary [1979] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Honor Blackman

5.0 out of 5 stars canary whaaaaaaaaaaaarf!, 6 Nov 2008
in contrast with the previous reviewer i really like this remake. I found it creepier, and actually MORE funny than the Bob Hope version. There's a fantastically catty, vindictive performance by Honor Blackman; Olivia Hussey looks fantastic and i mean what can i say about dreamboat Peter McEnery, (except when he has his mask on that is!) Oh but I'll tell you who steals the show: Wendy Hiller (who else?). Will you permit me a wee bit of pretension?, this is one of the best films I've seen about 'film' itself. The scene around the dinner table with the dinner going on, orchestrated by the 'eccentric' Cyrus. It is a film about control, about money and greed, about 'directing', manipulating, sanity/insanity etc. etc.

Not a bad film at all, worth a view definitely.

And the Hippos Were Boiled in Their Tanks (Penguin Classics)
And the Hippos Were Boiled in Their Tanks (Penguin Classics)
by Jack Kerouac

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting, yes., 6 Nov 2008
If, like me, you are a big fan of Burroughs and Kerouac's eh 'solo efforts'; if you have raced through 'On The Road' while pitifully short on gas, and shot up on 'Junk' when you knew you shouldn't; if you have searched through 'Cities of the Red Night';if you have broken down in 'Big Sur' and shifted your way through all those frozen moments of 'Naked Lunch' then you will probably want to buy this book. It is the heretofore unpublished collaboration from 1944 between these two greats of Twentieh Century Literature, written as alternating chapters, one by Burroughs followed by one by Kerouac and on like that, from the point of view of William Dennison and Mike Ryko respectively. It tells the story of a crime from the point of view of two mixed up in it. It is apparently based on actual events. I wouldn't call it a work of juvenalia exactly, there is a lot to like here, but it doesn't reach the heights (or the depths) of either writer's later stylistic flourishes. It is in fact a pretty conventional novel. The main enjoyment for me was in seeing the differences between the two writers even at this embryonic stage, spotting the germs of what they would become. But I don't want to dissuade anyone from buying this at ALL! If you like the two writers' work then buy it by all means. I really enjoyed reading it. All I would say is 'Don't start here' if you've never before read Burroughs or Kerouac.

Visual Voices: The Poem As a Print Object
Visual Voices: The Poem As a Print Object
by Irving Weiss

5.0 out of 5 stars looking at poems, 6 Nov 2008
As the title of this book suggests, Irving Weiss is concerned with the poem as an 'object', that is to say, he is exploring concrete poetry. This book presents traditional English poetry in a variety of concrete realizations. If you are interested in the 'moment' of poetry, i.e. the individual experience of the poem as an object, the 'encounter', then this book will give you some things to think about. My favourite piece in this book, and the reason i'm giving it 5 stars, (it's a really beautiful piece actually, but then i'm a sucker for things like this, slightly corny), is the piece entitled 'The Book Closed, the Facing Pages Kiss'... All in all, there are lots of interesting ideas in this book, and it deserves a place on any poetry-lover's shelf.

Last Novel, The
Last Novel, The
by David Markson
Price: 9.23

5.0 out of 5 stars you learn 365 somethings new every day, 6 Nov 2008
This review is from: Last Novel, The (Paperback)
I completely disagree with the other reviewer! I really loved this book. David Markson is one of the most interesting and surprising novelists about at the moment, and this novel, his latest (i think) continues the exploration begun in Markson's other books, such as 'This is not a Novel' and 'Wittgenstein's Mistress'. Markson's book is made up of short anecdotes and facts about writers, philosophers, artists, mathematicians, composers, operatic stars, film stars etc. It is a great book to read with wikipedia (or even amazon) open on the screen of your laptop on your lap because there are so many things and people to look up. Gradually, through the accumulation of anecdotes, a plot does emerge, veiled, shy, lonely and behind closed doors. A great part of the book's enjoyment comes from learning new things and seeing connections between things. There are some very funny anecdotes too. But this book is more than just a puzzling heap of fuzzy fragments. The ubiquitous descriptor, 'fragmentary', which anyone who has read anything even remotely modernist will have encountered, doesn't really fit this book; the sense i got of reading this book is not of anything fragmenting, but of accumulation, collection, refrains and leitmotifs. This is ALSO a very moving book, one particularly intereting repetition being the dates of artists' deaths. It is a celebration of art, and it is art worthy of celebration itself: Markson's novel caught at my throat as the suggestiveness of his various anecdotes form in a constellation of disappointment and loneliness. If you love reading, I recommend this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7