Profile for Godbless > Reviews

Breasts: A Natural and Unnatural History
Breasts: A Natural and Unnatural History
by Florence Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars What a good read, 3 May 2014
Informative, easy to read and well argued. I ended up agreeing with William's point of view ESPECIALLY on the lousy pervasive over-sexualisation of breasts (even in high reserach academia) to the detriment to any research of their obviously primary function to feed an infant.

Did you know that the breast is the only human organ without its own specialization within medicine? And yet how many millions of women die worldwide each year after their highly responsive breast tissue is inflamed with cancer? To her credit, Williams never over-labours the shocking & careless sexism of these facts. I would be using capital letters to write my book if I was her.

I highly recommend this book. I am going to get my husband to read it too.

Dr Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas [DVD]
Dr Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas [DVD]
Dvd ~ Boris Karloff

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful classic, 3 May 2014
How can you not love this? My children and I watch it again and again and not just at Christmas. 'The Grinch' is good moral tale about selfishness making you unhappy. A very christian tale without any hint of a reference to Christianity in it.

Seraphine [DVD] [2008]
Seraphine [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Yolande Moreau
Offered by FilmloverUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film, 3 May 2014
This review is from: Seraphine [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
This is the kind of film that reminds you why we should all be grateful for European (in particular French) cinema. Beautiful, poignant and unpredictable.

The film is a visually wonderful account of a woman, who seems like any other on the underside of life, but who is exceptionally gifted, and through her talents shows up our preconceptions of what makes an artist or a person valuable. The film felt touched with divine grace, just like its protagonist and yes I did weep.

Marks of Distinction
Marks of Distinction
by Karen Knorr

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting work, 3 May 2014
This review is from: Marks of Distinction (Hardcover)
Knorr is an artist who shakes things up. It sounds like it would be a gimmick to place wild animals in highly stylised interiors....but take a look at her work, and actually it is challenging and discombobulating: I find it hard to put my finger on why that is..... I find her work at once ravishing visually, as well as emotionally discomforting (in a good way).

Her recent work as well as her earlier work ask questions about who we tell ourselves that we are and what we consder civilised, acceptable and social. I admire her as a major artist for our time.

Tina Barney: Players
Tina Barney: Players
by Tina Barney

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 3 May 2014
This review is from: Tina Barney: Players (Hardcover)
Not as awesome as 'Europeans' but Tina Barney is an exciting artist. In a way books of her pictures do her no justice as they are meant to be seen HUGE, as she pays such attention to detail. Barney's work needs to be looked at and looked at.

Another tip: if you enjoy her work then I highly recommend the documentary about her.

Really Rosie
Really Rosie
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, 3 May 2014
This review is from: Really Rosie (Audio CD)
What a great combination Carole King and Maurice Sendak. We listen and laugh at this in the car and the adults love it as much as the kids.

Le Petit Nicolas. Un livre pop-up
Le Petit Nicolas. Un livre pop-up
by René Goscinny

3.0 out of 5 stars Too slight, 3 May 2014
For me this was a waste of money and it didnt even engage my children very long, even though they love 'Le Petit Nicolas'.....

Very Far Away
Very Far Away
by Maurice Sendak

5.0 out of 5 stars Maurice Sendak the BEST children's storyteller, 3 May 2014
This review is from: Very Far Away (Hardcover)
Everthing Sendak produced is genius. His understanding of the internal universe of children: of the nature of their fears and fantasies amazes me. I didnt understand how good he was until I had children myself and saw their reactions to his work: it makes them feel understood. What lovely illustrations too.

Man and Boy
Man and Boy
by Tony Parsons

3.0 out of 5 stars Overrated, 3 May 2014
This review is from: Man and Boy (Paperback)
Yeah well..... Why was this book so greatly feted back on the day? I know I am reading it a decade or two late, but apart from the fact that it didnt detract from my life, in that it didnt detain me for more than a day or two, I am not sure it added to my life in any way at all. Would you know it his wife leaves him after he is unfaithful: SHOCK (well he is a MAN). He takes some vague responsability for this betrayal and consequently finds himself looking after their small son: SHOCK (well he is a MAN). Maybe back in the '80s this book was considered self-knowing or enlightened even for a 'young' man to write ...but please consider for example Rimbaud who wrote all he had to write before the age of 21 to compare the shallowness of our age.....

House Of Cards - Season 1 (DVD + UV Copy)
House Of Cards - Season 1 (DVD + UV Copy)
Dvd ~ Kevin Spacey

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 3 May 2014
What fun to relax watching Kevin Spacey doing his creepy thing. Thrilling chilling and can't wait to see season 2.

Page: 1 | 2