Profile for David A. Green > Reviews

Content by David A. Green

David A. Green "ofsted" (Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Timebomb
Timebomb
by Gerald Seymour

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling - but not in the usual way, 16 Jun 2008
This review is from: Timebomb (Hardcover)
I looked forward to this latest Gerald Seymour novel and was delighted when it arrived.

In common with many other of Seymour's later novels it takes a while to get into the plot. The constant switching between scenes and characters does not make for an easy read. You keep reading because you are sure it is going to "burst into flames" at any moment - and sometimes it does.

The characterisation and the detailed research and scene=setting is unmistakeable Seymour, and thoroughly done - but this novel, for me at least, lacks the compelling development of storyline and plot.

It is a vital part of the plot that it is interwoven with the telling of a horrifying sequence of events in the concentration camps. To be honest I felt this was overdone - but it did make sense in the end.

I will still wait with anticipation the next of Seymour's novels - but this one does not quite stand with his others.

John Newton: From Disgrace to Amazing Grace: From Disgrace to "Amazing Grace"
John Newton: From Disgrace to Amazing Grace: From Disgrace to "Amazing Grace"
by Jonathan Aitken

4.0 out of 5 stars Thorough - but a little staid, 3 Oct 2007
In the van of all the slavery films and books I read this biography with considerable interest. Jonathan Aitken tells a detailed story of the life of a great evangelical Christian. His work is thoroughly researched and authoritative - but I thought it lacked "punch". Perhaps that is because the subject - although thrilling enough - was more the religious life of Newton than his adventures.

Aitken portrays Newton in a sympathetic and scholarly way - but there are times when I feel he could have let his pen loose and exercised a little imagination to enliven the story for readers who - unlike myself - may want a good yarn first and authentic detail next.

The book portrays Newton in a way that leaves no doubt about his religious views and simple humanity - and for that I highly commend it - but it needs something to lift it into the realm of being more compelling. I read it thoroughly because I am interested in Newton - a more casual reader might find it heavy going. Nevertheless I highly commend it.

The Walking Dead
The Walking Dead
by Gerald Seymour

4.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, enthralling - but disappointing, 14 July 2007
This review is from: The Walking Dead (Hardcover)
Seymour is my favourite author of his genre. I look forward to every new book. I have so far never been disappointed.

Thoroughly up to date, this is a complex tale told with consummate ability. It draws us on to its inevitable climax by twists and turns - and by unnecessary detours into an old Spanish Civil War notebook. This time there are too many characters each skillfully drawn - but still too many.

If you expect a compelling read you will not be disappointed - but it is not one of Seymour's best. There are too many layers, not all of them convincing, and the main characters are not as well portrayed as in his other books, and indeed these characters have less connection with the plot as it unfolds segment by segment - rather than in a natural flow.

It is still a memorable and thought-provoking read - but worth waiting for the paperback.

Bad Luck And Trouble: (Jack Reacher 11)
Bad Luck And Trouble: (Jack Reacher 11)
by Lee Child

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read - but not as good as the others, 8 Jun 2007
I was excited at the prospect of a new Jack Reacher novel and bought it as soon as it came out.

The focus in this book is more on a group than on Jack - and although the story is well told as Lee Child always does - I found the change in focus didn't quite work. There's plenty of action - but this book disappointed me. The story is a little more pedestrian and the characters not as well described.

Perhaps my problem is that I have read almost all the Reacher novels in the space of six months. Worth buying - but not in hardback.

The Good Husband of Zebra Drive (No 1 Ladies Detective Agency 8)
The Good Husband of Zebra Drive (No 1 Ladies Detective Agency 8)
by Alexander McCall Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet!, 9 April 2007
I ordered this before it was published - and then it sat on a bedside table for weeks! I have just read it - couldn't put it down - it is his best yet Botswana story. The land and the people have developed a three dimensional quality. Now I want to know when the next is coming!

Unlike the last book in the series this volume has a greater sense of continuity. The characters are developed and have a greater part in the unfolding plot which contains fewer challenges for the detectives but a more "joined up" style. Thoroughly recommended.

Ultimate Weapon
Ultimate Weapon
by Chris Ryan

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many turns and too many typos, 1 Oct 2006
This review is from: Ultimate Weapon (Hardcover)
I enjoyed reading this book: the tension and excitement, and the two strands interwoven together. There was much compelling action and insight - but at the risk of sounding pedantic - I found myself annoyed every few pages by unneccesary typos. In today's technological age there is still a need to eradicate these blemishes. I found they were distracting me from the plot - and that says something for the slowness with which the story unfolds and the constant changes of pace. I am disappointed that a good yarn was spoiled by predicatble swings between the principal characters - and the unpredictable mistakes.

(I reviewed the hardback edition)

Blue Shoes and Happiness (No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
Blue Shoes and Happiness (No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
by Alexander McCall Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Botswana, 18 Mar 2006
I awaited the arrival of this book with anticipation. I am not disappointed. I am back in Botswana and immersed in the wisdom and wit of the characters. Whilst the chapters have a way of switching between running themes the book is delightful and I will not be giving it away but keeping it to re-read again and again. Tired of the cold English winter - step out into the sun. This book will not let you down.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 Collection
Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 Collection
by Scott Kelby

5.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive and well produced reference, 18 Mar 2006
I was impressed with this work from the start. It is a combination of two related works and I expected the parts of Photoshop Elements new in version 4 to have been rather obviously bolted on - but this is not the case. It is a rich mine of practical advice to which I will return again and again.
Highly recommended.

The Spanish Game
The Spanish Game
by Charles Cumming

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 18 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Spanish Game (Hardcover)
I fully expected to be enthralled by this book. The detail is remarkable - but sometimes intrusive. I felt that the plot moved too slowly at the beginning. The author seems more interested in creating local atmosphere - which he does magnificently - than in telling a gripping story. It is not a book I will read again - and one that, sadly, I have already given away - something I rarely do with hardbacks.

Paint Shop Photo Album 5
Paint Shop Photo Album 5

2.0 out of 5 stars Try this before you buy, 24 Oct 2004
This review is from: Paint Shop Photo Album 5 (CD-ROM)
I readily purchased the latest version - having found the usefulness of the panorama feature of version 4 and it's general facilities. I am immensely disappointed with the archiving feature which seems to me rather inscrutable and inclined to force you to archive all your image collection - when you might wish to be selective. The method for adding images to your album does not compare favourably with Adobe's offering. Try this software before buying. I wish I had.

Page: 1 | 2