Profile for P. Layton > Reviews

Game of Thrones Longclaw Letter Opener
Game of Thrones Longclaw Letter Opener
Offered by The Noble Collection UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for men of the Night's Watch, 22 Jun. 2014
I ordered this as a birthday gift for my sister (she likes Jon Snow, you see), and set her place as the delivery address. Shortly afterwards, I saw it in Forbidden Planet and it look such more plasticky than in the pics on Amazon. Imagine my relief when it never arrived, and the third party seller contacted me to say they didn't send it because it was out of stock! I got a refund and bought her some champagne. She liked that even better.

Mophie Juice Pack Air External Battery Case Made for iPhone 5/5s in White - MFi Approved

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome except for a couple of niggling design flaws, 23 April 2014
I had a Mophie case for my iPhone 4 and I loved it so much that I bought another for my iPhone 5S. The battery life in considerable (and entirely necessary for these smart phones). I bought the white case with silver and black trim, it looks like it fell out of a Stormtrooper's pocket and feels great in my hand.
My previous case had a rubberised finish which made it stick in the hand, but this case has a smooth finish which makes it easy to drop. The power button is no longer in a discreet recess on the corner but sticking out the back like a pimple, which makes it easy to switch on/off in your pocket.
Overall the case is awesome and I'd recommend it to anyone, but I'd prefer to see the power switch hidden in a corner again.

Anker® 2400mAh MFI Apple Certified Premium Rechargeable Extended Battery Case for iPhone 5s, 5 [18-Month Warranty]

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but too fiddly, 23 April 2014
I returned this before I used it, so I can't comment on the battery use. The power buttons were well-placed and it had a good hand fit, but the plastic case that you snap on before attaching to the battery case and the snap-on mechanism were too fiddly, and I could see them snapping before too long. Maybe that's why you get two in the box? The packaging was minimal and entirely recyclable though, which I always appreciate.

120W Spice / Coffee Grinder - Black / Silver
120W Spice / Coffee Grinder - Black / Silver
Offered by Prime Furnishing

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty poor, 23 April 2014
No matter how long you grind, it still leaves large lumps of coffee bean. Not great.
The wind-up cable is ingenious though.

Kinky Boots - Original Soundtrack
Kinky Boots - Original Soundtrack

5.0 out of 5 stars Ladies, gentlemen..., 9 Feb. 2014
...and those who are yet to make up their minds. This soundtrack is fabulous. Whenever your life is a little plain, give this a whirl and Lola will make you feel supreme.

Swan SF14010N Popcorn Maker, Silver
Swan SF14010N Popcorn Maker, Silver

1.0 out of 5 stars Anyone for a game of Russian roulette?, 9 Feb. 2014
I do wonder whether the designers at Swan tried out this device as a prototype, or if they simply explained the concept of a popcorn maker to a gang of chimps and hawked the resulting shambles to the public. There does not appear to have been be any thought put into it at all. The ides is sound, sure; kernels go in and popcorn comes out. But as soon as the popping starts, the explosive nature of this foodstuff sends both flying out, skittering around the curved upper chamber which seems purposefully designed to guide missiles out at you in random directions. We used this once. And they went EVERYWHERE.

On the positive side, operation of the on/off button is childsplay, the lucky kernels that made the change were delicious and well-popped, and it isn't pink.

Plantronics ML12 Bluetooth Mono Headset - Black
Plantronics ML12 Bluetooth Mono Headset - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars There are much better headsets available, 28 Oct. 2012
This is the third Plantronics headset I've bought. The first two were both the ML20, and both met a watery doom in my trouser pocket on laundry day. I was so impressed with the quality and lengthy battery life of the ML20 that I got the same model the second time. I decided to try something different the third time, and chose the ML12 as it seemed similar...how wrong I was.
The sound quality on the ML12 is abysmal; it's crackly and distant, like a vintage dog and bone.
I really liked the little American woman in the ML20 telling me the headset is on and the battery level is high; it felt all Sci-fi. Yeah it's sad but true. The ML12 just beeps at you in various ways, sounding as if a cut-price R2 unit is attempting to communicate with you and you're expected to interpret its meaning. English, please.
The headset itself is a little more robust, and has more pleasing lines, but feels chunky and plasticky in comparison to the ML20.
The ML20 is about the same price as the ML12, and although it isn't a luxury model by far, it's a superior headset to the ML12. I have a notion that other Plantronics models are better as well, though I've not had experience of any others besides these two. You'd be better off not getting this headset.

Sennheiser Eco Ear Canal Headphones - Black
Sennheiser Eco Ear Canal Headphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for a great price, 3 May 2009
I've been using my standard-issue earphones for 3 months and find they keep falling out of my ears, plus you can still hear everything going on around you - not good when you need to block out the rubbish R&B that they guys at the back of the bus blare out of their mobiles. You know who you are. Anyway, I'd heard about noise-cancelling in-ear buds, but I didn't think they'd be as effective as they are - I was thoroughly impressed. You can hardly hear anything outside your head, which means you can use a lower volume (saving your precious batteries, and possibly your eardrums too) and you can also use them as earplugs when you need to nap on an aeroplane. The sound quality is great, and the packaging is just unprinted corrugated cardboard - not the usual excessive amounts of heat-sealed plastic - so it's really easy to recycle (this is important to me anyway). They do maximise conductive hearing though, so don't expect to eat crisps and listen to your device at the same time. I think this is a small price to pay for the benefits you get from these little winners :-)

Creative ZEN 4GB MP3 Player
Creative ZEN 4GB MP3 Player

4.0 out of 5 stars Creative Zen 4B, 23 Sept. 2008
I bought Creative after getting cheesed off having to install the dreadful iTunes with my ipod all the time. Creative make cheap electronics and it feels a bit plasticky, but it does its job just fine.

Pros:
* Good memory capacity;
* SD card expansion;
* drag and drop or use with Windows Media Player seamlessly (unlike iTunes - a big plus if you ask me!!!);
* glossy design with a decent size screen

Cons:
* Unintuitive interface, e.g. pressing the central button doesn't play song - the play button is a small one on the side, almost an afterthought, whch seems strange given it's the raison d'etre of the device;
* FM radio doesn't work AT ALL! Don't buy this unit with the radio in mind, it's non-existent;
* Volume is on the quiet side