Profile for paulk > Reviews

paulk "ficta" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Cras, Reger, Dohnanyi, Kodaly
Cras, Reger, Dohnanyi, Kodaly

5.0 out of 5 stars this is one of the most beautiful string trio compilations I am lucky to own, 12 Nov 2014
Truly, this is one of the most beautiful string trio compilations I am lucky to own. Excellent playing, recording, and repertoire choice. The composers wonderfully illustrate their skill in writing for this medium and I would recommend anyone who has not ventured into string trios to try this. Accessible and tonal harmonies are used throughout.

Novak - Six Sonatinas;Bagatelles
Novak - Six Sonatinas;Bagatelles

5.0 out of 5 stars Very attractive works, 2 April 2014
Having known Novak through his tone poems In the Tatra Mountains, Eternal Longing, South Bohemian Suite, etc. I took the opportunity to acquire the Piano Works. I'm delighted, partly because the music is attractive from start to finish, and partly because this is a ridiculously low-priced 3-CD set. The pianist Frantisek Rauch, whom I had not heard before, does a superb job on all the pieces. The variety is good, all the works are accessible and tonal, but Novak is a supremely lyrical composer and the interest never fails. The Sonata Eroica is the only item which I will have to devote more time to; I found it less accessible than the other works, and it carries a lot of other composers' influence, particularly Liszt.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2014 8:50 AM BST

Riisager - Archaeopteryx; Benzin; Til Apollon
Riisager - Archaeopteryx; Benzin; Til Apollon

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing versatility, 17 Dec 2013
One never knows what is to come from Riisager. Nothing is beyond his reach. Every compositional style and orchestral technique find their way into the numerous CDs of his music now available. This one is a superb example: great recording, playing and conducting. Archaeopteryx (the oldest known bird) is a truly remarkable piece of music - I was totally enthralled with the atmosphere Riisager creates, and I defy anyone listening to it not to conjure up a dream-like illusion of this mysterious prehistoric creature in its environment and time completely remote from ours.

Romantic Violin Concertos
Romantic Violin Concertos

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK.., 19 Oct 2013
As the Amazon rating of 3-stars says: It's OK. One should not have heard Brahms violin concerto before hearing the Gade. Written 2 years after the Brahms, Gade clearly is under its influence. The liner notes tell us that Romantic composers were under some sort of obligation to compose a weighty violin concerto. Well, Gade did, but unfortunately it says nothing which Brahms didn't say better. It's beautifully polished and conceived but doesn't get anywhere. I found both the Lange-Muller and Langgaard interesting and attractive, if not great. The whole CD is beautifully played by soloist and orchestra, and the recording is excellent. Pity about the Gade.

Schulhoff: Concertante and Ballet Music
Schulhoff: Concertante and Ballet Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!, 23 Sep 2013
I've explored many of the works of composers who were unfortunate to suffer tragic fates under the Nazis. Schulhoff is a particularly splendid composer of that time: much jazz influence, but stylishly organised into classical thought, and I have detected some similarities to musical phrases in the works of Martinu. Schulhoff is a master of all forms but this is a great collection of his larger instrumental works.

Mr Strand CD Paper Sleeves with transparent window - 100 pack
Mr Strand CD Paper Sleeves with transparent window - 100 pack
Offered by Media Replication

2.0 out of 5 stars Low quality and non-branded, 18 Sep 2013
When Mr Strand is the selling brand, why do we receive the item without any labelling on pack? This is deceit, particularly as I find these are inferior quality to the actual Mr Strand product. Buy elsewhere.

100 x Mirror PVC CD DVD Sleeves - 100 Micron
100 x Mirror PVC CD DVD Sleeves - 100 Micron

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I ordered....., 16 Sep 2013
Great price...pity they aren't what I ordered. Product advertising says 100 micron / item wt. 318 g. Well, the item came without a brand name anywhere, and they feel like 80 micron, weighing only 222 g. Draw your own conclusions... and buy elsewhere.

York Bowen: Piano Works [Joop Celis] [Chandos: CHAN 10774(4)X]
York Bowen: Piano Works [Joop Celis] [Chandos: CHAN 10774(4)X]

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 12 Sep 2013
I have Bowen's sonatas by Danny Driver on Hyperion and I thought I would go for the collection of miniatures and lighter pieces here. It was a wise move. These are delightful pieces, all played superbly by Joop Celis, and the recordings are excellent. I wouldn't be without this set.

Koechlin: La Course De Printemps (Jungle Book), Le Buisson Ardent
Koechlin: La Course De Printemps (Jungle Book), Le Buisson Ardent

5.0 out of 5 stars Words fail me, 7 Sep 2013
'..he puts such an unlimited range of colours and gradations at his disposal that we can almost speak of a utopian mode of orchestration'. So it says in the insert, and so it is. There is simpy nothing that Koechlin can't do. Here is some of the most profoundly expressive and contemplative music I've ever heard - and I've heard a lot. I wanted the final work to go on forever. This is true musical genius. Don't miss it. I can't praise the orchestra,Holliger, and the recording enough.

Copland Conducts Copland
Copland Conducts Copland

3.0 out of 5 stars Preliminary comment, 19 Aug 2013
Considering this Regis CD was only released 29th July 2013 here in the UK, I think it is misleading to put a review of it from Amazon.com dated March 2013, which apparently discusses a Sony recording. There is no reference anywhere on the Regis CD regarding SACD or any other format and no recording dates except 'First published 1960'. My Regis CD hasn't really got much stereo separation. I await other reviewers comments.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2014 7:03 PM GMT