Profile for J. Mead > Reviews

Content by J. Mead

J. Mead (South West UK)

Thelma & Jerry / Two To One
Thelma & Jerry / Two To One

5.0 out of 5 stars If you appreciate fine soul singing and lush but subtle orchestrations...., 21 Oct. 2013
The 'Thelma and Jerry' album is a personal favourite of mine. I bought it on release when I was a teenager, after first picking up a single of 'It's A Lifetime Thing' in a bargain bin and loving it. Have enjoyed listening to it ever since and bought it on US CD over 20 years ago. Sound quality for the album is very good (as was the old US CD). Interestingly, the first track 'Only the Beginning' is a good 2 minutes longer on this re-issue than on vinyl and original CD, a fact not referred to in the informative booklet. The extra 2 minutes is largely 'live'-type banter, and to be honest you can understand why it was cut, because it is a bit annoying on repeated listening! Favourite track on 'Thelma and Jerry' album a superb rendition of Stevie Wonder's 'Joy Inside My Tears'.

The 'Two to One' album is a bit of a curiosity, as there are only two duets (not selected for the first album), the balance being 3 miscellaneous solo cuts from each singer. Obviously, much less cohesion, but still first class vocals. One Thelma track, 'Don't Pity Me' is particularly good. You know from the first few bars it is a Van McCoy production, and style-wise it makes rather a lovely companion piece to David Ruffin's 'Walk Away From Love'. Sound quality for the 'Two to One' tracks also excellent.

This CD would have been well worth the money just for the 'Thelma and Jerry' album. As presented it is outstanding value. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Nile Rodgers presents: The Chic Organization, Boxset Vol. I / "Savoir Faire"
Nile Rodgers presents: The Chic Organization, Boxset Vol. I / "Savoir Faire"

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent box-set, 12 Nov. 2012
I am a long-time fan of the Chic Organisation, but bought this set with some trepidation due to the comments made in some reviews about the sound quality. Turns out there was no need to worry on that score: the tracks have never sounded better. (A subtle but signficant improvement on the very good sound presented on the Rhino 'Definitive Groove' set). Highlights for me: the 12" version of 'My Forbidden Lover' which I had never heard before - and this is a very good remix rather than just an extended version- , the Fonzi Thornton tracks which again I didn't know before, a beautifully mastered version of 'Spacer' and the Dimitri from Paris remix of Sister Sledge's 'Thinking of You', the only one of the Dimitri remixes which in my opinion improves on the original.

So glad I bought this set - and annoyed I took so long to do it! Given Chic's importance and popularity it seems strange that there haven't been definitive, expanded versions of the original albums with single versions, remixes etc. Here's hoping ....

Dionne  (Expanded Edition)
Dionne (Expanded Edition)
Offered by TwoRedSevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal!, 19 Sept. 2012
The upgrade on sound quality from the previous CD I owned (where the tracks were in the wrong order as well) is hard to believe! A brilliant album from a genius artist at the peak of her vocal power and interpretative skill.

Disco Discharge - Euro Disco
Disco Discharge - Euro Disco
Offered by PressPlay

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, superb quality, 29 April 2010
I'm not sure I'd categorise either Eighth Wonder (Patsy Kensit) "I'm Not Scared" or Laura Branigan "Self Control" as Euro Disco (surely that's Silver Convention. Giorgio Moroder etc?) but in their full length versions they are stunning and presented here in superb sound quality. Great compilaton, worth it just for the 2 tracks I have highlighted.

If the compilers of this series should read this: what about the full length version of "Get on the Funk Train" by Munich Machine? Now that really is Euro disco!

About Love
About Love

5.0 out of 5 stars A memorable combination, 29 April 2010
This review is from: About Love (Audio CD)
Is'nt it a shame that when people think of Ashford and Simpson they probably come up with "Solid" rather than "It Seems to Hang On", "Don't Cost You Nothing", Diana Ross' debut album or the superb album "The Boss", eternally brilliant songs recorded by Marvin Gaye & Terri Terrell - or this superb album recorded with Gladys Knight & The Pips?

Inexplicable why "Taste of Bitter Love" and "Bourgie Bourgie" were not much bigger hits than they actually were.

This is a hugely appealing album with excellently re-mastered sound. Great to have the edited 7" single versions - particularly "Taste of Bitter Love" which is so punchy in this slightly reduced format.

Top release for people who like classic soul music!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2013 3:23 PM GMT

Special Delivery (+Bonus)
Special Delivery (+Bonus)

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album but....., 29 April 2010
I have to confess I was a little bit disappointed with the CD.

"Special Delivery" is a particular favourite album of mine since I bought it on vinyl in 1975. It is British soul-pop at its absolute best and Polly Brown is a fantastic, soulful singer with superb phrasing and interpretative skills. It's criminal that she never obtained more professional success.

I was expecting a lot of the CD, particularly as it is a Japanese release and I paid quite a lot of money for it! So, for me the problems are:

1. Disappointing, dull sound quality. (I had copied my original LP from turntable into itunes on my computer and that sounds far brighter and better to my ears).
2. Not the correct mix of "Up in a Puff of Smoke". This is the same one as appeared on "Bewitched: the Polly Browne Story" and the vocal is way too high in the mix - it almost sounds like karaoke compared to the originally released version. (The vocal take sounds like the original one though)
3. Not the released version of "Do You Believe in Love At First Sight". This is a bonus track and in my opinion was one of Polly's best singles. Again, the vocal take is the right one, but there are more backing vocals than on the released version, which was overall better.

Let's hope a UK record company will do a decent job on this album and pick up all the other GTO label singles and B-sides at the same time.

Never Can Say Goodbye
Never Can Say Goodbye

5.0 out of 5 stars Exemplary re-issue, 29 April 2010
This review is from: Never Can Say Goodbye (Audio CD)
What a great job has been done with this album! I think the sound quality is outstanding compared to previous CD versions of these tracks (and they haven't been too bad themselves). It's all you could really want: impeccable mastering of the original album itself, all the 7" versions and the non-album B-sides and a very good, informative booklet.
"Never Can Say Goodbye" is a very important track for me as it was the record that really excited me as a teenager into a long-term interest in soul and disco music. This album was in turn the first soul album I bought, and it's great that it's finally on CD.
Very highly recommended.

Subsequent to my review above, after reading some other comments on the remastering of this album, I feel I need to re-iterate my comments. I am fussy about sound quality and I have a very good sound system. This album was never going to win any 'hi fi' awards but I repeat again that in my opinion the remastering is a great improvement. Turned up loud,as it would have been in the disco, it sounds particularly good and I find it difficult to appreciate how other people have found it distorted or unlistenable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2010 12:35 AM BST