Profile for MaryJane > Reviews

Terra Nova - The Complete Series [DVD]
Terra Nova - The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason O'Mara

2.0 out of 5 stars Fooled!, 10 April 2013
This series is a very Zone Horror daytime viewing sort of otherworldly sci-fi yarn. I suppose it could be considered good wholesome family viewing in a less scary Dr Who stylee with a strong emphasis on doing the right thing and learning from your mistakes, but it's very predictable for anyone over the age of 10! Reading this makes me feel I have been a bit harsh, so I might give it another go, but I managed the first 3 discs and found it a bit cloying, so we'll see. Kids will probably like the dinosaur element, so perhaps I am the wrong market?

Victims: Alex Delaware 27
Victims: Alex Delaware 27

5.0 out of 5 stars Each one as good as the last, 10 April 2013
I have been a Jonathan Kellerman fan since the first one I read, way back when and am pleased to say that this is as good as anything he has ever done. The story is well paced and plotted, with interesting if not always sympathetic characters and plenty of twists to keep the reader hooked and guessing. Readers who enjoy Sue Grafton, Harlan Coben, Robert Crais and other writers of crime will really like this and I would definitely recommend it.

Sanctuary Complete Season 1 [DVD] [2007]
Sanctuary Complete Season 1 [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Amanda Tapping

2.0 out of 5 stars Lame,lame,lame :(, 10 April 2013
I chewed over buying this for ages, as I don't normally go for series that run on so long, as they seem to get lamer by the episode. I needn't have bothered - this started out lame from the get go and sadly didn't improve. I did watch half the series to give it a chance to get going, but it just got gone. Work colleagues have watched all the series and enjoyed them, but for me it plays like a lower budget Relic Hunter. Also I didn't really get the point of catching mythical creatures in the wild to put them in some sort of private jail.
Avoid.

Greatest Guitar Riffs of All Time
Greatest Guitar Riffs of All Time
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars What's a riff, please?!, 10 April 2013
I admit to buying this because I wanted "Yellow" and "Chelsea Dagger" and liked about fifty percent of the tracks on this 3 CD set.
I have no idea what a riff is (do fish live in one?) and do not like what my daughter refers to as "Old Man Rock" like Iron Maiden etc so some tracks were getting skipped over regularly! However, that said, as this compilation consists of really well known tunes that I actually knew, it now plays all the way through. the CD's were a really good price too and all in all this was a really good buy.

Greatest Ever Summer
Greatest Ever Summer

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Feelgood Songs, 10 April 2013
This review is from: Greatest Ever Summer (Audio CD)
It doesn't seem quite right listening to summer tunes while it's still wintry outside, but this CD set is a real collection of spirit raisers. There is something for everyone and this is a great compilation to have in the car. There are perhaps a couple of songs that I would swap, but nothing that I really hate and as "Greatest Ever" are such good value for money I don't feel ashamed in admitting that I actually bought this because I wanted one particular song! I would definitely recommend this series :)

Greatest Ever Summer Love
Greatest Ever Summer Love

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Sing-a-Long Stuff, 10 April 2013
This is a really good compilation of pop/love songs that everyone will know and you'll find yourself singing along to whether ironing or out driving. There are a couple of tracks that I would've swapped for other more contemporary ones, but that's just a matter of taste. I think it's quite a girly mix, but covers the last forty years comprehensively and is a nice feel good collection.

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter [DVD]
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benjamin Walker

3.0 out of 5 stars Great cover - not great film., 17 Feb 2013
Its got Abe Lincoln, its got undead - whats not to like? Well, quite a lot really. Sadly, it's dull, boring and a bit of a yawn fest. I understand the romantic line is necessary for the later developments, but it moves so slooowly. I admit to being surprised that this isn't a comic book adaptation, as that's how it seems and given the amount of them being made at the moment, understandable, but others have been done so much better than this. I had to fight to grant this 3 stars, the rest of the tribe vote it a 2.

Sons of Anarchy - Season 1 [DVD]
Sons of Anarchy - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Charlie Hunnam

3.0 out of 5 stars Biker Dudes meets Good Ol' Boys - yeah, right!, 17 Feb 2013
Hmmm. As series one this is enough for me, I won't be bothering with more of the same as there is just nowhere else left to go. I know series 5 or 6 is on tv, but why? And I can understand Jackson is easy on the eye - but Mr Caring, Sharing emotional and kind - hearted biker 2008..please! This lot are a gang of Angels, running guns, drugs and all the assorted plethora of illegal doings that the real ones are known for, but still manage to be Dukes of Hazard style good ol' boys for their town of Charming! Question - If Clay has been running the town for the last 25-30 years, how come the gang are always broke? And if they are always broke, how come they haven't been taken over? As this suggests as leader, he is pants! Grrr, this kinda nonsense romanticises the monsters the real Angels are, but if you can suspend disbelief it's watchable telly for a while.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2014 2:22 AM BST

Cleanskin [DVD + UV Copy] [2012]
Cleanskin [DVD + UV Copy] [2012]
Dvd ~ Sean Bean
Offered by rsdvd

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, an intelligent film - watch it!, 17 Feb 2013
As a fan of the Beaner, I would have watched this anyway - even if some of his more recent efforts have been lacking. This is a cracking film, well written with a believable plot, characters and a satisfying and unexpected ending. It does well to avoid tired "terrorist" cliches and stereotypes and delivers a convincing story that is gripping and unpredictable. Why is it that so often great films like this pass by almost unnoticed? Definitely recommended - watch it.

How to Train Your Zombie (A zombie romcom)
How to Train Your Zombie (A zombie romcom)

4.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud - not always in the right places., 17 Feb 2013
I liked this - right up to the end, which doesn't always happen! It's a really well written readable story and although zombies are a la mode at the moment, it doesn't follow the same old well trodden formula. The characters are likeable, funny and its nice that just sometimes people get exactly what they deserve, if not in life, then in fiction. I would definitely recommend this, its a really good read and not at all "girly" - which I loathe!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3