Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Amazon Customer

Funny in Farsi: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America
Funny in Farsi: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America
by Firoozeh Dumas

1.0 out of 5 stars there are the kind of stories that you might tell your friends and family and also the language used by the writer is very primi, 23 Jan. 2016
I was looking forward to reading this book as I am also an Iranian ex pat living in UK and I thought that I could relate to this book. Firstly this is not a memoir: it is a very short book which consists of little anecdotes that do not flow.

The story is not told in a fluid, linear manner and even if we allow that the stories that the writer ( F.D) tells are not that amusing or unique to be published, there are the kind of stories that you might tell your friends and family and also the language used by the writer is very primitive and basically the book reads like a middle school student wrote it. Can anybody publish a book ?

I believe that F.D has targeted Western, especially American, readers as she follows in the footsteps of similar books written by Iranian female ex pats: e.g. Reading Lolita in Tehran , and Lipstick Jihad. In these books writers provide their readers with what they want to hear/read about poor put upon Moslem/ Middle Eastern women who do not have access to education, freedoms etc. until they arrive in US. furthermore M.D applies her own family's idiosyncrasies to the whole population of Iran: In one chapter she tells us that her mother like all the women of her generation from Iran was not educated, to counteract this I can follow the writer's example and perhaps point out that my mother who was born in a small village in the early 1930s and her 5 female siblings all went to universities and worked as doctors, teachers, headmistresses until retirement. It seems a very basic point but surely you can bot apply from one example i.e. your mother to the whole country which has a population of 80 million people! There are many such generalisations throughout the book; Iranian women don't drive (!), Iranian children do not learn to swim, etc..

I can only guess that the writer in pursuit of recognition and monetary success has succumbed to the stereotypes and wishes of her supposed target group of readers. Or it could be that some Iranian middle classes in order to assimilate with the host country try too hard and end up being self hating as I note that she mentions that her children do not speak Farsi/Persian as she does not have family nearby? However did she not tell us that most of her extended family have emigrated to US and she dos live in California which has a ??? Iranian population.

Finally I believe that it is very sad that the writer constantly pokes fun at her parents for being Iranian, her mother does not speak English well. Could I ask F.D. how many American women of her mother's age (The writer is about 50 years old so I guess that her parents are in their 70s to 80s) speak French, German or Spanish? F.D.'s mother has done very well to emigrate at her her age to such a foreign land and adjust so well. I think that the writer abuses her parents' kindness, nativity to make them butt of all her jokes and I suppose make some money also.

In times of difficulties with so many people living outside of their country the so called memoirs should be kind hearted and evocative of the lives lost or left behind and the the kind, self-sacrificing Iranian parents should be celebrated.

I am also further dismayed that the writer purports that her book is being studied at American High schools; Frankly I can not see what benefit this simple, not well written book would have. I am now left with this disappointing paperback that I paid about £10 for that offends me to add it to my book collection and I won't even be able to sell it for a pound at the forthcoming car boot sale!!

Andrew James Professional 850W Whole Fruit Power Juicer, Includes 2 Year Warranty, Juice Jug And Cleaning Brush

1.0 out of 5 stars I bought this juicer as the price was very good and it had a lot of favourable reviews, 8 Sept. 2015
I bought this juicer as the price was very good and it had a lot of favourable reviews, however after using it for a short time it stopped working with smoke coming out. When I contacted the company I was told that it has to be used only for 1 minute then given a 5 minutes break! However as it was within the first month of purchase they sent a replacement for me. The same happened with the next one and that was also replaced, obviously not forgetting the bother of having to call the company being told by the person that you are incapable of using a basic gadget and then having to
convince them that that is not the case and it is their machine which is faulty, having to package the old item, print the labels etc....which is you not what you need.
When I used it again last week and I was careful not to go over 1 minute , but again smoke came out and even though it did not stop working but the juice smelled strongly of smoke I finally gave up. I called Andrew James for a refund and after the usual arguments ( refer to above) I finally asked for a refund.
I will now spend a lot more and buy a Phillips model that I know will work properly. I my belief this machine should be withdrawn as it is faulty and a waste of time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2015 12:53 AM BST

The Happiness of Blond People: A Personal Meditation on the Dangers of Identity (Penguin Specials)

2.0 out of 5 stars I am just surprised that she says that she is in love with Istanbul, 3 July 2015
I was very interested to read this book and I actually finished it in one day. The premise was highly interesting and relevant to me. However although it started really well, I am still unsure about the ending and/or the conclusion of this book. I even reread the final chapters again but I am not sure what the author is trying to say.
On a different note I am also a little confused why the author chooses to live partly in London where she has to commute to Istanbul to see her husband and father of her two children. Obviously I have very little information about the author's personal life and it is not for me to make judgements about her life. I am just surprised that she says that she is in love with Istanbul, she has achieved fame and recognition and presumably money by being a Turkish writer so why live in London??

Staging a Revolution: The Art of Persuasion in the Islamic Republic of Iran
Staging a Revolution: The Art of Persuasion in the Islamic Republic of Iran
by Peter Chelkowski

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Jun. 2015
This is an amazing book , with lots of wonderful, interesting photos. The delivery was efficient and fast.

Persiana: Recipes from the Middle East & Beyond
Persiana: Recipes from the Middle East & Beyond
by Sabrina Ghayour

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a good comprehensive cookery book but unlike my other books is ..., 11 Sept. 2014
I collect Iranian cookery books so I was very much looking forward to getting Persiana. This is a good comprehensive cookery book but unlike my other books is not as beautifully written or sentimental about Iran. Basically Persiana is a cookery book which happens to be about Persian food, it is not a memoir so may be the title is not as relevant as it should be. Considering that the author is writing about Persian cuisine may be she should be a little more complimentary of her subject matter and not treat it as a quaint novelty type food that strange people eat.
This book feels as if it is written by Jamie Oliver but the food happens to be Middle Eastern. The better Iranian cookery books are Margaret Shaida and New Persian Cooling by Jila Dana-Haeri.

Eylure Dylash - Eyebrow Dye Kit 45 Day - Dark Brown
Eylure Dylash - Eyebrow Dye Kit 45 Day - Dark Brown
Offered by Greens Pharmacy

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great find, it is very easy to use but ..., 11 Sept. 2014
This is a great find, it is very easy to use but make sure that you leave the dye for 10 mins or so. It is saving me a lot of hassle and money as I do not need to go to the local beauty salon to do my eyebrows every few weeks. The results are better than the salon. A great product.

Bart Simpson Digital Lunch Bag
Bart Simpson Digital Lunch Bag

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a nice, spacious lunch box for a young child, 11 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Bart Simpson Digital Lunch Bag
It is a nice, spacious lunch box for a young child, it arrived promptly and it is a good choice.

Bright Young Things
Bright Young Things

1.0 out of 5 stars Bright young things, 13 May 2013
I read this book in two days as it is a very simple easy book. It I like when you are channel hopping and come across a movie on channel 5. It is a silly pretentious book and I only read it as it was free on kindle.

Limit Women's Quartz Watch with White Dial Analogue Display and Silver Bracelet 6704G.01

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful watch, 26 April 2013
I bought this for my daughter. It arrived promptly and the packaging is beautiful. It looks wonderful and a lot more expensive than it is. A great gift.

New Persian Cooking: A Fresh Approach to the Classic Cuisine of Iran
New Persian Cooking: A Fresh Approach to the Classic Cuisine of Iran
by Jila Dana-Haeri

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing book, 2 Feb. 2013
I am not Iranian but was given this book as a present. Even though I am not that well acquainted with Iranian food I have made several meals using the recipes in this book and they have all been delicious. My Iranian friends could not believe how authentic and wonderful tasting they were. Definitely recommend this book to novice and experienced cooks.