Profile for L. Rushton > Reviews

Content by L. Rushton

L. Rushton "EFAW" (East Sussex, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Penguin Eggs
Penguin Eggs

5.0 out of 5 stars Ah! the master. Such playing and song. Here's hoping it's back again., 6 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Penguin Eggs (MP3 Download)
I'm sure any folk fan will know the story of Nic Jones' accident and the long time he's been away from playing live and recording.

I'm sorry to say, I was a dilettante of folk music in the 70's, when I went occasionally to a pub in Bounds Green, called the Springfield Tavern.

It was there that I would see Nic perform. Because of my ignorance, I would have thought that all folky guitar players/singers would be this good.

So blase, I was, that I didn't even scoop up any of Nic's recordings of the time.

So, being such a long time (kind of...) fan, but not having the recorded evidence, I was a bit wary, when after seeing Nic receive his Radio 2 award, I decided to revisit his music.

How could I have been so deaf and blind. Years have passed and nobody (that I've heard) has reached the excellence of this performing musician in this field of folk. ...and still Nic wears no itchy beard nor scratchy pullover.

It's just great. The guitar and the voice are sublime.

Listen and you will know.

Lindo ACB Series Satin Spruce Top Electro Acoustic Bass Guitar with 4-Band EQ and Canvas Carry Case - Natural Gloss
Offered by Lindo Guitars

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price., 16 Jan. 2013
To kick off, I should say, I'm not a bass guitar player. I normally just play acoustic and electric guitar, so don't have a great idea of what the tone should be like for an acoustic bass. I got this for some background rhythm in some recording work I'm planning. It sounds fine to me. Just what I'd expect from any kind of bass guitar. I don't know what Jaco Pastorius would think, but it's fine for what I want.

The construction seems solid enough. I'm guessing it isn't solid wood all the way round. Not sure if it's a solid top either, but it doesn't really matter, it seems strong enough to last for a good few years with the minimal use it'll get from me.

My son, a real bass player tried it out and he thinks it seems fine and would be happy to use it on gigs, although his stuff doesn't call for much in the way of acoustic playing. Jolly good for practice as well, for the bass player and their near neighbours.

All in all a reasonable buy that makes at least 2 of my family happy.

Shakespeare Stories: Henry V
Shakespeare Stories: Henry V

4.0 out of 5 stars Covers the gist. Good first view., 7 Sept. 2012
This is a very good summation of the story and characters.

The play will be very familiar to all English pupils and even some from the other parts of the UK.

This breakdown makes a good stab at homing in to the salient aspects, historically and within the drama itself, for those who are not so acquainted.

Gildan Heavyweight blend adult full zip Sweatshirt hoodie Mens
Gildan Heavyweight blend adult full zip Sweatshirt hoodie Mens
Offered by Outdoor Look

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice comfy hoody, 21 Jan. 2012
Nice straightforward comfy piece of clothing. The zip is on the opposite side from what I'm used to, but I've found this on some American made jackets.

Soft feel outside and in. Good colour and a good inside layer for helping with warmth on a hike along the Downs.

Muro Wall Light White / Blue Glass
Muro Wall Light White / Blue Glass

4.0 out of 5 stars Look good on the wall. Little bit delicate, 21 Jan. 2012
I had a look at these wall lights in a light shop before buying them from Amazon. Very reasonable price. Easy enough to fit and the electrical connections are straightforward.

Just a bit fiddly to get them to sit right on the bracket. I managed to break one of the screens while trying to manouevre it into the position I wanted.

You'll need to make sure the bracket connection points line up with the holes on the screen, before actually screwing the screen on to the bracket.

I think it would have helped to have a bit more flexible washers for the fitting. There are some plastic sleeves, but the screen just sits on these and they don't hold it in position.

Overall, though, quite pleased with these wall lights.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfort and style, 3 Jan. 2012
I don't buy many clothes on line, as I've been disappointed with items in the past, which don't match the picture.

This scarf looked good on line and it was great when I got it home. It matches the colour and is nice and soft, again the way it looks on screen.

It is also a nice length and can be wrapped around in the style you like.

Careless Love (International Version)
Careless Love (International Version)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant set, capable voice, 16 Dec. 2011
Pleasant is the word that comes to mind. There is some reminiscence of Billie Holiday in the recording. I'm not sure how much of a positive this is.

I went to see Madeleine at the Brighton Dome and the resemblance was less distinctive. She was very generous to her backing band, allowing them to show their stuff for a lot of the set.

Melancholic is another word, that describes her interpretation of songs.

All in all good stuff.

It's a good album to encompass your time and space in relaxed and accepting harmony.

Wynton Marsalis And Eric Clapton Play The Blues Live From Jazz At Lincoln Center

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy the experience., 9 Nov. 2011
I've always appreciated Mr. Clapton's input to the Blues and Rock/Pop idiom and that is where my preference lies in comparison to Jazz.

So, that's what drew me to listen to this album.

Obviously the tone of the music is moored in an older Dixieland concept, with players of enormous technical ability, who normally play in a more esoteric mode.

Leaving it all aside, I very much just enjoyed the feeling of compatriot souls, working with an appreciative audience.

Without delving into the technical labels then, it just sounds like fun and I like it.

William Armes Kilkis Washable Kitchen Rug, Blue, 180 x 67 cm
William Armes Kilkis Washable Kitchen Rug, Blue, 180 x 67 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value rug, 4 Oct. 2011
Pleasant look and helps to make the kitchen floor more comfortable. Looks as if it will be hard wearing and easy to clean.

Vox AC 4TV white
Vox AC 4TV white

4.0 out of 5 stars Warming up., 29 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Vox AC 4TV white (Electronics)
I've been used to using a Line 6 Pod through a Crate amp. Years since I came across a tube amp.. When I was playing seriously, there wasn't such a thing, there were only amps.. Our Lead guitarist used a Vox AC30, I remember.

There is definitely something different between tube and solid state, but amp modelling is bringing them closer.

I must say I enjoy the wait while the amp. gets round to warming up the tubes and starting to respond.

Life was slower then.