Profile for C. Hamer > Reviews

Content by C. Hamer
Top Reviewer Ranking: 385

C. Hamer "chrisahamer" (London, UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
BitDefender AntiVirus Plus 2013 - 3 User 1 Year
BitDefender AntiVirus Plus 2013 - 3 User 1 Year
Price: 21.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Good software - weird install, 13 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The actual anti-virus seems to be doing what it is supposed to do which is ace.

The actual interface is easy to use and it set itself up automatically so no complaints.

The only thing is that it took me 3 attempts to install and it wouldn't recognise the product key a few times. It did eventually works but the gaffing about lost it a star!

G Data Internet Security 2013 3 user 1 year license (PC)
G Data Internet Security 2013 3 user 1 year license (PC)
Price: 45.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid antivirus, 5 Dec 2013
I love GDATA.

It is like they have actually thought about what you want, left out all the crap and that's it.

Install it and forget it's there.

Be prepared to spend a few minutes setting it up with auto scan times etc but once this is done at least it is worry free.

Been using it for a few weeks and it hasn't slowed down my computer.

Probably one of the best out there along with avg

Creative HITZ MA2600 on-ear Premium Headphones with 40 mm Drivers, Flat Folding Ear Cups, in-line Remote and Mic - Black
Price: 42.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but not comfortable, 5 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are some pretty solid headphones but I must say that the comfort levels aren't great.

Sonically they were surprisingly rewarding, I felt that they performed well, the audio quality was solid with good high surprisingly deep lows and quite good highs. The midrange didn't get lost either.

On the other hand I found the plastic actually hurt after a while as they really did sit directly on my ear which was disappointing.

So really these are very good headphones and maybe it is just the shape of my head but they weren't super comfortable. I'd still be happy to recommend them though with the caveat of trying before buying!

Playing to Win: How Strategy Really Works
Playing to Win: How Strategy Really Works
by A.G. Lafley
Price: 14.39

4.0 out of 5 stars A high level book for a high level employee, 28 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think this is a pretty good book on strategy, I have read a few and it ranks up there with the best.

The only reservation that I have is that it is very high level. I know that that is the angle it's being sold at but I feel that there are distinctive advantages to covering more bases.

If you are an account manager, business owner or CEO, yes this is probably for you. If not and this is your first foray into such a book might I suggest you start a little lower down the tree in order to learn more faster ;)

Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Price: 124.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Feels so good, 26 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to say that even though I don't game much anymore this keyboard is simply stunning!

For people who are used to laptop keyboards it will be hard to understand what a real mechanical keyboard feels like.

In short it is amazing. Each key is easy to press and gives really positive feedback. You just know when you have pressed it and can move on to the next key rather than having to look onscreen. It is weird but it does make a minute difference that makes the whole experience better.

It also has programmable gaming keys which are brilliant and the backlighting is superb with various level of lighting.
I am not a huge fan of the volume roller but it isn't too bad.

I love the fact this comes with a set of arrow keys so you can choose which to use and you can remove the rubber o rings if you want an even clickier keyboard.

I am not a fan of the thick dual usb cables to connect this to my computer which seems a tad unnecessary but at least you'll know they'll never break.

Over engineered? Yes, in the best possible way!

Was She Pretty?
Was She Pretty?
by Leanne Shapton
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clever, 26 Nov 2013
This review is from: Was She Pretty? (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I never thought that so few words could say so much.

When I read this it was insane to think that entire relationships were passing by in less than 20 words. Summed up in a few words were the sometimes jealous takes on time spent together by two people.

It is actually really clever. Made me feel sad about how relationships have been commoditised to such an extent nowadays.

Buy this book, flick through it, reflect and take it in.

That's my advice.

On the other hand if you want something more in-depth on the subject get The Curious History of Love

Manly Food
Manly Food
by Simon Cave
Price: 17.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook once you get past the cover, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: Manly Food (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like this cookbook.

It does very nicely what it says on the tin!
Manly Food. It is what you expect, hearty meals, decent portions, it's actually really good.

Not simple either, don't get me wrong some of the recipes are quite easy but most are standard difficulty.

Which is actually really nice! I loved some of the burger recipes whig are really nice.

Behind the facade this is actually a solid cookbook that even has a cocktails section which is great when entertaining!

Recommended!

Sushi Slim
Sushi Slim
by Makiko Sano
Price: 9.09

3.0 out of 5 stars A great cookbook! Really not a diet plan though!, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: Sushi Slim (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Now to me I felt a little disappointed as this really isn't a diet plan.

It is a good sushi cookbook which covers everything from the basics to medium advanced. But it seems to sell itself as a diet plan which it quite simply isn't.

The cookbook element is actually very good and I came across a few recipes of things that I didn't have in my super simple starting cookbook.

But this gets three stars as it isn't what it sets out to be!

Audio-Technica ATH-CKX5IS Sonic Fuel In Ear Headphones  -  Black
Audio-Technica ATH-CKX5IS Sonic Fuel In Ear Headphones - Black
Price: 39.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really good enough, 11 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am going to keep this relatively short because I don't think I need to waste your time.

These are what they are. The headphones are not bad but they aren't great either.

The only part where these stumble majorly is on bass performance - there is hardly any . However the mid-range and high range isn't too bad.

My main gripe is that they are PAINFULLY uncomfortable after an hour or two. Which is shame as I can imagine the design would be good for runners and the like.

I was surprised by the noise isolation which is very good but they just aren't sonically up to standard. Even for 40 I'd expect more. I'd say Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Ear-canal Phones - Black are a better buy.

but if you want my advice save up a little longer and buy these gems: Bowers & Wilkins C5 In-Ear Headphones B&W - Black, Look after them and they will last years and they sound sublime!

Sony QX100 Lens Style Camera for Smartphones and Tablets - Black (20.2MP, Carl Zeiss F1.8 Lens, 3.6x Optical Zoom)
Price: 285.57

3.0 out of 5 stars I so wanted to love this but it is flawed, 11 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the most frustrating product i have ever reviewed.

I totally loved the concept from the beginning and was ready to love this. I was even prepared to buy one myself before being offered one for review.
Reviewing it was very frustrating.

Let me start off by saying this is a really capable camera.
Low light performance is good. Video is very good. Focusing is fast and accurate. The lens allows a good level of zoom and it is sharp as tack.
For a compact camera it is very impressive.

But this isn't a compact camera. It is a lens with a sensor and a shutter butting and a Wi-Fi connection.

The idea is that you use a smartphone screen.

So I hooked this up to my iPhone after download the play memories app. It is an easy affair, turn it on, connect your phone to its Wi-Fi network and launch the app.

Then clip the 'lens' to your phone using the super sturdy clip it has built in (I really like this part) it is brilliantly designed. It fits an iphone well and you don't feel like it will fall off, but it won't damage your phone with a vice like grip like you might expect it to.

I'm afraid my love affair with this camera ended right here and very abruptly.

When everything works there is only a slight delay between pressing the shutter button and getting the photo. But the camera is slow to send the image to the phone, it crashed CONSTANTLY. The controls are pretty rubbish. You can't really use manual settings, you can't choose iso. you can't take photos in RAW format... SONY, WHAT ARE YOU DOING???

They literally created a BRILLIANT device, in a new segment and then ruined it with a shoddy app!

This camera has the same electronics as the Sony Cybershot DSC-RX100 Digital Camera (20.2MP, 3.6x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCDso this has some seriously solid foundations.

It really is the app that lets it down. Despairingly the Android app wash't much better.

So want my advice? Don't buy this. If you really want one get a Sony QX10 Lens Style Camera for Smartphones and Tablets - Black (18.2MP, 10x Optical Zoom) which is half the price. It won't have the same optical performance as the QX-100 but you won't have wasted 200 extra.
There is however one huge caveat. If sony has the ability to put out an app which does not crash, which is quicker to update this becomes a 4 if not 5 star product.

This is literally one step away from being an incredibly good idea!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2014 10:06 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20