Profile for C. Hamer > Reviews

Content by C. Hamer
Top Reviewer Ranking: 396

C. Hamer "chrisahamer" (London, UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-25
Olympus STYLUS XZ-10 Digital Camera - Black (12MP, F1.8-2.7 5x i.Zuiko Wide Optical Zoom) 3 inch Touch LCD
Offered by SMN TRONICS

4.0 out of 5 stars Great high quality compact, not stunning low light., 28 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having a chance to review a piece of equipment such as the Olympus STYLUS XZ-10 is a wonderful opportunity to take an objective look at brand spanking new piece of hardware.

I normally right really broke up reviews but this time I feel a little passionate so apologies if I ramble a little.

The XZ-10 is a wonderfully built camera. It feels solid but does have some weight. The wide-angle zoom is great for capturing anything that doesn't require you to get too close, and it has a built in ND filter - which means you get great quality photos even in bright sunlight.
The touchscreen is slick and works brilliantly. I loved being able to touch the area I wanted it to focus on and the camera obligingly taking a sharp photo of that spot. Great idea.
The image quality on the whole was very good. I don't feel like Megapixels are the name of the game and I am glad that Olympus relented from putting a 24mpx sensor in here. 12 is enough.
Colour is bright and vivid and contrast crisp. Shooting in raw gave superb details. The only caveat was low light. I was left less than impressed by low light performance where to me it was not as good as the Nikon COOLPIX P310 Compact Digital Camera - Black (16.1MP, 4.2x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD that I own. Considering the insane price difference this was a total let down.
In fact I don't quite understand the price point difference. Yes this is a well built camera, with some great fun art modes. The autofocus is crisp and other than in low light the image quality is superb. But I feel as though this device has been over-engineered for the sake of overengeneering. For the price you get subjectively speaking not that much camera.

Don't get me wrong it is very good and feels like it is built akin to a tank. It is a joy to use and the movie mode is great. I just can't see other than a gimmicky touchscreen what I am getting over the P310?

Hence why it only gets 4 stars from me. It is great but a lack of low light performance and the necessary wow factor considering the price leaves me somewhat unimpressed, however it is hard to give it less than the 4 stars it does earn!

Rhetoric: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Rhetoric: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Richard Toye

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great but the Very short introduction series, 2 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been totally won over by the 'A very short introduction' series of books.

Since buying Poststructuralism: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions) for Uni way back in 2008 I have put together a collection of about 20 books.I love the way they cover an area in great detail but without all the fluff. Do not think these are easy reads, they are written by experts and therefore cover a lot of detail. They just cut out all the crap!

They do expect you to have some background so bare that in mind. I really enjoyed their introduction to rhetoric. It took a little longer than usual to get off the ground but was a great read once I got into it!

Enjoy!

Philips NT9145/11 Precision Styler
Philips NT9145/11 Precision Styler

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it is supposed to even if a little flimsy, 2 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well this is what it is, essentially a beard trimmer.

On the whole it is very good and performs the act of beard trimming very well.
I was a little disappointed by the quality of the attachments which are not very precise and do not seem to be hugely different in length. However taking price into consideration it is very good. I think the shaver attachment is a very nice touch and great for those hard to reach places.

Not much else I can see really. The reason for the 4 star rating is that I managed to break one of the attachments very easily - although the rest seem fine so am concerned about the quality of the attachments.

WordPress Websites Step-by-Step - The Complete Beginner's Guide to Creating a Website or Blog With WordPress

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant guide for beginners!, 28 Jun 2013
I must say I was a little skeptical with this but am now quite sold.
It does take an absolute beginners view so if you know what you are doing I'd probably say skip this, but if you aren't buy it!
I was really impressed by how well this book conveyed everything in a simple easy to understand manner.

Also bear in mind this book is relevant whether you just want to blog or if you'd like to set up a website on wordpress.
Very comprehensive and well written ! 5* guide!

Copyright and Mass Digitization
Copyright and Mass Digitization
by Maurizio Borghi

4.0 out of 5 stars Thorough and detailed - not exactly light reading., 24 Jun 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I decided to review this book as I found the topic rather interesting. Working in the communications industry copyright is an issue which regularly comes to the fore so I felt reviewing this book would provide me with some much needed insight.
Although I realise that copyright is a question of laws, I feel that this work is too much of a guide to lawyers rather than a book aimed at media professionals.
It deals with a range of topics from Fair usage to orphan works (a part of the book I tackled in some detail and found very interesting) and everything in-betwteen.
I am the first to admit that I have no read every page. A fair assessment would be 40-50% of the book. Why do I feel I am still in a position to review it? Because it is clear from the sections I have read that this is a well researched work with example cases and extra information. The sections I have read make me feel well informed on the topics. Chapter 6 was the section I enjoyed most, it posed a series of ethical questions giving possible answers. To me a part on structural and contextual integrity really rung home.

So yes I'd say if you are interested in any aspect of mass digitalisation and its effect on copyright this is the book for you. Just be prepared for some laborious reading at times!

Bose ® Companion ® 2 Series III Multimedia Speaker System
Bose ® Companion ® 2 Series III Multimedia Speaker System

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good sound considering the size and cost!, 22 Jun 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I will admit I haven't really been BOSE's biggest fan.
Having said that my first Bose product was the first version of this speaker so perhaps it is fitting that I should find myself reviewing the Series III version.
First thing I'd like to say is this, I think Bose has learned a lot since the first iteration of this speaker, it is a definite improvement.

I think if you are looking for loud base heavy speaker it may be worth giving these a miss, they won't give you what you want. But if you like listening to an encompassing genre of music and listen to the charts and mostly use laptop speakers or apple's own white headphones then these may just be perfect. I think students and people who only occasionally turn it up loud would really benefit from these!

Let's face it, for £80-£90 you won't get the earth but I think if we are talking value for money these are probably the best products in Bose's repertoire.

The sound is very very clean considering the size of the speaker. They aren't the loudest speakers, but at a stretch the sound can fill a room with a moderate group of people in it.
What really impresses me though, is how these speakers really make music sound very engaging which at this price point many fail. They are very punchy - in a good way.
I decided to stray away from my usual set of sonic tests and try some different tunes on these. Mostly taken from the charts to represent what may be played on them.

I shall start with the new track 'If I had a tail' by the magnificent Queens of the Stone Age - I never said i'd make it easy on the speakers. The track balances delicate guitar and bass with an overture of complicated drum work. The vocals add another dimension to this already complicated track. The Bose Companion II Series III speakers coped admirably not loosing any specific part of the track but still keeping the vocals and guitar work at the fore!
Now let's move on to one of my favourite tracks of the moment, EDM Death Machine by Knife Party, sadly this is where the speakers loose a little. At 3/4 volume you probably are loosing 40-50% of the base and at full volume up to 70%. But the track is flipping complicated and even my 600 series B&W speakers struggle so I think all things considered the sound is good! It seems to be D&B and dubstep where these speakers loos a little shine, because when playing CHVRCHES 'Recover - cid rim remix' they actually create some pretty good base. So if you are the world's biggest DnB and dubstep fan - steer clear.
Lastly I investigated how these speakers cope with a classic. I chose Jeff Buckley's 'So Real' after it was features on BBC Radio 1 a few week back. The vocals are crisp and clean and the guitar work is very good. These speakers can do rock!

So all in all I think this is one of the best products to come from Bose in a while. If you are stepping up from laptop speakers or no speakers these are a really good starting place. Be it for Uni or the home I reckond these are pretty brilliiant. If you wan't something more mobile with a little more volume I'd say it may be worth paying extra for the Logitech UE Boombox which I think is the the best speakers- wireless or not for under £200!

Yamaha HPH-PRO400 Headphones - White
Yamaha HPH-PRO400 Headphones - White
Offered by Crampton And Moore

4.0 out of 5 stars I think the fit is a bit off can't work out why sonically great!, 4 Jun 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like using these headphones. They sound brilliant.
They remind me of the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Closed Headphone for ENG/DJ use with split headband, 1.5m steel cable/70 ohms right angle.

The sound is wonderfully natural. Punchy, clear and the soundstage is stunning.

I am not the world's biggest fan of white coloured headphones but i think the black version looks sublime.
The cable design too is somewhat unique. it is a flat style cable. Interestingly i have found that this tends to get stuck in less places and is way less prone to getting tangled.
Good work Yamaha.

In more detail the sound quality is seriously good.
I realise how much these headphones cost but I think they represent good value acoustically speaking. I think Yamaha spent a long time perfecting the Audio gold that these are. Perhaps if I was being super picky they can be a little bit bass heavy.
They handled Bonobo's Cirrus so well though I am willing to forgive the bass heaviness. As I have said the soundstage is phenomenal. I can talk by Two Door Cinema club was handled equally well! Only one minute to midnight by Justice really took these headphones out of their comfort zone. At 'max' volume there was noticeable distortion But again I can forgive it for that.

So why I head you cry did I only give these sonically sound headphones 4 stars?
Because the actual fit of these headphones is quite bad.
I have a very big head, but I was surprised to find that these are too big. By a lot. There is no way to make them fit properly.
Everyone who tries them on says the same. I do not know what giants Yamaha was expecting to wear these but I am afraid I know none.
Not really sure what I should say to that? After 30 minutes these become uncomfortable due to the silly angle the headphones sit on your head at.

I guess my main advice would be try them on before you buy!!!
I do noticed that other people haven't made the same comments, so to me that is odd. But basically if you have them on the 'smallest' setting and put them on and then push the top of the headphones on to the top of your head, the headphone speakers themselves become too low...

I'd love to hear other peoples opinion on this as I can't be the only one! As I said, these sound absolutely brilliant so it is a shame that they don't seem to fit properly!

Food Glorious Food: From Cakes to Curries to Cornish Pasties - Favourite Dishes from the Search for Britain's Best Recipe (Cookery)
by BERTRAMS TRADING LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Food glorious food indeed!, 13 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a wonderful set of recipes from ITV's Food Glorious Food series!

The book has been wonderfully laid out with a page for instructions and ingredients and then a proper photo!

There are some wonderful recipes as well. from cornish pasties all the way to Apploffi pie. In fact lots of wonderful desserts. A few great main courses as well. I particularly enjoyed the smoked salmon cheesecake and the pheasant paprikash.
Containing so many quriky recipe's this is a great cookbook and represents the TV series well!

The Arab World Unbound: Tapping into the Power of 350 Million Consumers
The Arab World Unbound: Tapping into the Power of 350 Million Consumers
by Vijay Mahajan

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good introduction to the Arab world!, 13 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As much as I don't believe one book could ever be enough to help someone break into an entirely different market, I must say that this book does do a very good job indeed!
The middle east is such an untapped area for many western brands I found this book extremely informative on a lot of aspects of business. All the way from how their financial industry works (this book explains this very well indeed) all the way to customs.

Although this isn't knowledge I need at the moment it was extremely interesting to learn about and just from an interest perspective it was a great read. I must say if you are thinking about doing business within the arab world, this has to be a great place to start!

The Arab world is perhaps one of the most dynamic these days, politically and commercially, and this is something often overlooked by a western media obsessed with other more sensationalist aspects of that part of the world. This great book however, corrects that with an erudite but easy to read style that's a delight to read.
I did also really enjoy the amount of statistics. Truly brilliant statistics!

One Day the Shadow Passed (Visions)
One Day the Shadow Passed (Visions)
by Jonathan Reggio

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing novella, 13 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a fascinating read. To my mind it sums up reasons for doing things the old way. It is written rather interestingly from the perspective of a traveller who sadly may as well not exist...

The only thing I found weird was that the amount of time that passes in this book is from what I can work out just a day. Now I don't see how you could say this much in a day but I guess it is one of those things. It just annoyed me a bit. Hence the 4 stars.
On the whole this book was enjoyable and the story intriguing - I am not going to give it all away as I think even a short rundown would destroy some of this book but despite the fact it is quite simple it seems to be a wonderful take on globalisation which kind of struck me as a surprise.

Worth a read.