Profile for Miss C > Reviews

Content by Miss C

Miss C "fireball" (France)

The Rabbit Who Wants to Fall Asleep: A New Way of Getting Children to Sleep
The Rabbit Who Wants to Fall Asleep: A New Way of Getting Children to Sleep
by Carl-Johan Forssén Ehrlin

1.0 out of 5 stars The only book I've ever wanted to burn with fire, 10 Mar. 2016
This is the creepiest book I have ever read. I felt guilty subjecting my son to it. It was a gift from a friend with three children, so I persevered hoping to 'get it' eventually. That didn't happen. The book is really disturbing and felt like it was trying to hypnotise my son...and me. The story is extremely dull yet eery, the pictures are freakish and the overall feeling is seriously uncomfortable and grossly creepy. I think I might go and bury it in the garden so that *I* can actually get to sleep tonight!

To top it off it didn't work at all. Never again. *shudder*

The Park Family: Lauren: The Awakening
The Park Family: Lauren: The Awakening
by Lisanne Valente

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning first book in the trilogy, 24 Feb. 2014
Lauren: The Awakening, part one of a trilogy, whisks the reader away into a heady, ethereal, magical world, full of Angels, Demons, Mistdreamers and more. An exciting, mysterious, intricate, heart-warming, sexy read that will grip you from the moment you pick up the book, Lisanne Valente has created that priceless gem - a true page turner. I could not wait to find out more about the characters, jumping so lifelike from the page. I cared what happened to them, cried and laughed with them and felt bereft when I came to the end of the book. The book is also a love story to Scotland and Edinburgh in particular, making me itch to book my next trip there. I am delighted that this is the first book in a trilogy and cannot wait to read Valerie: The Teacher.

Clearblue Fertility Monitor
Clearblue Fertility Monitor

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked for us, expensive but worth it, 8 Oct. 2013
We tried to get pregnant for 7 months before buying the Clearblue monitor. The first month we used it, it showed me that I was ovulating 2 days later than the ovulation strips alone were indicating. The second month we used it I got pregnant. I never actually had a 'peak' day that month, I almost called Clearblue to query this, but it turned out I was pregnant, so I assume that is why there was no peak - the egg was 'caught' on the way down. We are now 21 weeks pregnant and will definitely use the monitor in the future again and would recommend it to friends.
Positives: Seems to work, easy to use, difficult to get wrong, more accurate than other methods (counting days, measuring temperature, ovulation strips).
Negatives: The strips are expensive and the monitor came with none at all. I think the first month's worth at least should be supplied with the monitor.

Cupcakes: Over 80 Delicious Recipes for All Occasions and Tastes
Cupcakes: Over 80 Delicious Recipes for All Occasions and Tastes
by Sue McMahon
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous little book with a plethora of delicious recipes, 13 Jun. 2010
I love this book. It contains a great variety of lovely cupcake and icing (frosting) recipes. They are all very simple and give excellent results every time. There are old favourites, as well as lots of new and interesting combinations.

As an added bonus the spiral bound format makes the book very easy to use, as it will lie open on your chosen page either on the kitchen surface or on a recipe book holder.

I highly recommend this book to people who want to make yummy, pretty cupcakes, made for eating and enjoying, not just looking at. I have around 10 different cupcake books and this is always the one I end up using.

What's New, Cupcake?: Ingeniously Simple Designs for Every Occasion
What's New, Cupcake?: Ingeniously Simple Designs for Every Occasion
by Karen Tack

2.0 out of 5 stars For inspiration only, no actual recipes, 13 Jun. 2010
As with the first book in this series (Hello Cupcake), this book is pretty and fun, but ultimately disappointing as a cookery book. There are no recipes that do not start with 'take a shop bought cake mix ....'. I can understand this if the book was aimed at 'quick cupackes' or similar, but since most of the designs will take an age to complete, it seems a shame to 'save' ten minutes using a pre-mix rather than fresh ingredients.

The ideas are fun and I enjoyed looking at them. The book is extremely US centric though, and I found it tedious to translate the ingredients into local equivalents. This is necessary for almost all ingredients except the flour!

In summary: Buy this book for fun ideas and inspiration only. Do not buy it if you want recipe ideas or prefer to follow instructions to the letter (that will only be possible in the US, with a significant $$ injection into ingredients).

P.S. If you are after a real cupcake recipe book I recommend 'Cupcakes: Over 80 Delicious Recipes for All Occasions and Tastes (Spiral-bound)' by Sue McMahon. Lots of fab recipes, in an easy to use book.