Profile for Mr. K. P. Rogers > Reviews

Content by Mr. K. P. Rogers

Mr. K. P. Rogers "rogers_kp" (London, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Medieval Rome: Stability and Crisis of a City, 900-1150 (Oxford Studies In Medieval European History)
by Chris Wickham

5.0 out of 5 stars What a treat. A scholarly masterpiece., 15 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A lot has been written about Rome during the Empire and then again from a Vatican perspective for the period since that, and Renessaince and modern Italy is certainly catered for. So, in my view, this fills a gap of what is, and proves to be, a curious and exciting period. Whilst most events that shaped the Renessaince come from the likes of Florence and Venice, it is clear from this well-written and wholly readable volume, that Rome during the mediaeval period, had an influence, too.

The period for Rome is marked by lurches from stability to crisis, as the book's subtitle suggests. The author has gone to great lengths to ensure that academic rigour is maintained, with plenty of footnotes and references for the reader to follow-up on if he wishes.

In a lot of respects this is an academic read, for a student of the period, it is most certainly not useful as a guide book! I found it fascinating, and certainly learnt a lot. Some chapters I found hard because the level of presumed knowledge is high, but with Wikipedia by my side, I was able to get through and be rewarded with wider knowledge.

Lexar Professional JumpDrive S55 128GB USB 3.0 (150MB/s) Antibacterial Surface Design Flash Drive Memory Stick - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent memory stick, 2 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I continue to be amazed at the amount of storage available in such a small space. A 128Gb memorystick is terrific. One can have most things on these tiny devices.

Other reviews here state that the plug bit is made of plastic. That is not the case with the one I have here (a white 128Gb, with metal plug, and a plastic protector).

It is lightening fast. Took about 5 seconds to transfer a 140Mb file. It got up to about 26Mb/second transfer speed.

Very impressed. I think it's fairly well built. I am very happy.

Cafetto at Home Eco Descaler 2 x 120ml
Cafetto at Home Eco Descaler 2 x 120ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job in a safe way, 28 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you live in a hardwater area, as I do (London) then it is, without a doubt, important to descale regularly appliances that use water. If you don't, the appliances become clogged, work inefficiently, and will have a shorter lifespan. This is why I descale kettles, and always use a softener in my washing machine.

This sort of product is ideal for a coffee maker. I poured it into the tank, and it got to work. You do notice the difference as the water comes through after rescaling much more freely and easily. This is a tasteless organic acid.

I do think it's a bit pricey, though.

Normally, I use a couple of teaspoons of solid citric acid, then flush through with more water. Of course,mender use mineral acids (like hydrochloride acid) on metal: only organic acids. I won't use vinegar because it will contaminate with smell.

So, as a product it works. But there are cheaper alternatives out there.

Gillette Fusion Manual Razor with FlexBall Technology
Gillette Fusion Manual Razor with FlexBall Technology
Offered by Activecare Online

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent shaver, like other Gillette shavers., 28 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have seen these everywhere recently. I'm not convinced that they're a major stop forward in shaving, but for comfort and closeness of shave, I rate it highly. I still prefer the vibrating ones (perhaps that should be combined with this tilting idea). In the end, I feel that it's the quality of the blades that counts more than anything else.

Bernstein Conducts Sibelius (Symphonies Nos 1, 2, 5, 7) [DVD] [NTSC] [2010]
Bernstein Conducts Sibelius (Symphonies Nos 1, 2, 5, 7) [DVD] [NTSC] [2010]
Dvd ~ Sibelius
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful performances to treasure, 13 Mar. 2015
A superb testament to the great Leonard Bernstein.

Recorded towards the very end of his life (and the projected cycle left incomplete at his death) these are magisterial accounts of these great symphonies (1, 2, 5 & 7). I would recommend them to all.

This is an older-and-wiser Bernstein, living every note and bar, and giving the listener that same undimmed concentration. These are quite vast interpretations (not necessarily in timescale), monumental even, but able to explore the intricacies.

Repeated listening rewards.

IKO 8m Shed Felt - Green
IKO 8m Shed Felt - Green
Offered by Ashbrook Roofing Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as expected -- excellent, 13 Mar. 2015
I put this on my shed because the old cover was coming loose.

Over a year later it still looks terrific, and is secure and doing the job. I imagine that it'll last many years.

Fuzz Off Lint Remover Fluff Removing Machine
Fuzz Off Lint Remover Fluff Removing Machine
Offered by Babz Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for jumpers, 13 Mar. 2015
Everyone should have one of these: jumpers look ridiculous when they bobble, and this removes the bobbles easily. So easy to use, and makes jumpers look great.

Calgon Tablets Pack of 75
Calgon Tablets Pack of 75

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb and great value, 13 Mar. 2015
This is exceptionally good value. I use one in every wash and my machine looks as-new after over five years. I live in a very hard-water area and there is not a hint of limescale anywhere in it (whereas my kettle is a quite different story).

You really will prolong the life of your machine if you use these, and I think that they will remove limescale as they work, as well.

It also means that you need less detergent in the wash as you use the amount needed for a soft-water area.

These are much more expensive in my local supermarket, and for far fewer tablets.

Tefal GV8960 Pro Express Total Auto Steam Generator - 2400 W
Tefal GV8960 Pro Express Total Auto Steam Generator - 2400 W

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb iron, 13 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a superb steam-generator iron. It's a serious piece of kit, that is very well built and able to deliver what it promises.

It makes ironing a dream, so easy to do, and quick, with superb results. These things really are far, far better than standard irons.

I do find these irons a lot easier to use than standard irons because there are only a few settings: it's all about the steam. Use of low temperatures means that fabrics aren't damaged: it's the steam that does all the work.

The iron itself is fairly light, and, importantly, comes with a long lead to the generator, so this means I can put it on a work surface and have my ironing board next to it, and still be able to iron easily.

I suppose some might balk at the price, but these things are built to last. Considering how often one uses an iron, it would be worth it.

I have not had time to use the decalc settings, as I've not been using it for long enough. However, what I do know is that all that sort of grime stays in the generator rather than going onto the iron.

A terrific product. Well done Tefal.

SeaSucker Talon Quick Release One-Bike Carrier
SeaSucker Talon Quick Release One-Bike Carrier

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb Bike Carrier, 11 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a terrific product, so well built and reliable. I have used it to hold my bike on the back of the car and on the roof, and after an initial worry – would it really hold? – I have absolutely no doubts. This is so easy to use, and is ever so secure.

Since you are looking at this product's page I suspect that you already know if you want one of these. Much easier than the bulky racks that attach to a car's roof, I can't imagine why one wouldn't use these SeaSucker devices.

There are others available for more than one bike. These really are a no-brainer.

Highly recommended.