Profile for Kenny P. > Reviews

Content by Kenny P.

Kenny P. (Surrey United Kingdom)

Journal for Plague Lovers
Journal for Plague Lovers
Offered by hifi-media-store

5.0 out of 5 stars This is great, 12 Dec 2010
I'm not actually a massive Manics fan. I've dipped in and out since the first album, in fact, since seeing them doing 'You love us' on some ancient telly talent show. Anyway, this is a vibrant, energetic album, full of vivid imagery, some of which is utter nonsense, some of which is brilliant; some is funny too. But the tunes are great.
For what its worth, my previous favourite Manics LP was 'The Holy Bible' but this is better. I think the tunes are superior and it feels like less effort is being made to shock. Or maybe we're all just older and inured against 'shock' in pop music.

Take No Prisoners - Live
Take No Prisoners - Live

2.0 out of 5 stars Desperate, disappointing., 12 Mar 2010
I bought this on double vinyl back in lord knows when (1981?), listened to it and took it to a second hand record shop. I've only done this twice in 30 years. I was a fan and remain a fan to this day. This is Reed destroying his back catalogue as only he knows how and, I suggest, one for completists only. Buy 'Live 1969' instead because it is one of the best records (yeah, I bought it pre-CD) ever. Bar none.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2014 3:56 PM GMT

Samsung M8800 Pixon Black Silicon Skin Case
Samsung M8800 Pixon Black Silicon Skin Case

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value. Does the job, 27 Feb 2010
The only minor disappointment here is that the Silicon skin could do with being a little bit more snug, but it's far from saggy and, importantly, you can still get easy access to the charger the SD card slot. The function buttons all still work under the thinner part of the skin too. Good value for money.

The best of the lot is the Qubits screen protector. Easy to go on, a perfect fit, not too thin, not too thick and doesn't interfere with the touchscreen functions either. Excellent value and quick delivery.

Wireless Access Point Router w/ 4-Port Switch 802.11g
Wireless Access Point Router w/ 4-Port Switch 802.11g

2.0 out of 5 stars Feeble. Weak. Feeble., 27 Feb 2010
To be fair, it works OK and we've never had any trouble with it. There's little drop-out and the connectors and overall build quality are fine, but we can pick up our neighbour's BT wifi better in most rooms of our house better than we can the Virgin signal coming through this box. Rather disappointing.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Efficient but flimsy, 25 Aug 2009
This picked up GPS signals pretty quickly and connected to a Nokia N95 mobile via Bluetooth efficiently too. It needed a battery-out re-boot if you flew anywhere and needed a bit of time to work out where it was, far from tall buildings (or pit garages). The battery lasted a long time and I never had it fail on me before I could recharge it.
Sadly I dropped it from not a great height (indoors) and the on-off button popped. I bodged a repair and it lasted a bit longer but it came apart for good while I was using it and the top half flew off into god knows where.
So, it works well enough but needs a bit more TLC than you might imagine. I'd still buy another one - I'd just take a bit more care when handling it.

Man Of Aran
Man Of Aran
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to imagine a better match, 25 Aug 2009
This review is from: Man Of Aran (Audio CD)
It's hard to imagine a band more suited to this type of effort than BSP. It's not 'standard' BSP fare (How could it be?! It's an essentially instrumental soundtrack to a faked documentary) but it's still recognisably and delightfully BSP.
The CD on its own makes sense and the DVD of 'Man of Aran' on yer big telly and home cinema sound system turned up to 11 is something else again. Or you might enjoy it for the sounds of the sea.

Garmin Edge 305 Navigation and Trip Computer for Cycles with Heart Rate Monitor
Garmin Edge 305 Navigation and Trip Computer for Cycles with Heart Rate Monitor

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit. Miss. On. Off, 18 Jun 2009
The Edge 305 isn't great. I can't get it to download data on a Vista-running PC. The heart rate measuring feature packed up after about four training rides and the GPS signal fluctuates wildly if you're riding under trees, even tree-lined roads - which means the speedo reading will vary by 4kph in less than a second. I've had it just under two years and the battery still takes and holds a charge and, used as a basic speedo, it's not bad, but for the price? If I could have 'awarded' 2.5 stars I would have.

Public Places
Public Places

4.0 out of 5 stars Encore! Maestro! Encore!, 24 Nov 2008
This review is from: Public Places (Audio CD)
The question this CD begs is why did Simins only make one album? This is great. Forget Woody Woodmansey's U-Boat. Forget the dead Kiss drummer's solo effort, this gives drummers' solo efforts a really good name.
Varied in texture, funny in places, sad in others, foot-tapping in most and all decently sung, what's not to like? It sounds like a labour of love and is a lot more enjoyable than the low-fi, monotone and frankly disappointing 20 Miles' output. So, as someone once said, C'mon Russell!

Etymotic ER-6 Isolator In-Ear Earphones
Etymotic ER-6 Isolator In-Ear Earphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Too much treble, 18 Jan 2006
I bought these to use with a Sony Ericsson K750i (with a Sony Ericsson stereo adaptor) and to be honest was a bit disappointed. To be fair, they sound good, with decent bass on the phone's media player/radio, but when I used them with my old generation iPod there was much more treble in comparison to the Shure E2C earphones that I've had for two years. I had read good reviews for the Etymotics and had high expectations but reckon – on the two year old iPod I've got – that the Shures sound better (ie less tinny with better bass). I pierced the filter and used the foam plugs on the Etymotics as well, which improved matters a bit. Or maybe my ears are just fu...nny.