Profile for Mr MJB > Reviews

Content by Mr MJB

Mr MJB (S W England)

Page: 1 | 2
Natural Causes: Inspector McLean 1 (The Inspector McLean Mysteries)
Natural Causes: Inspector McLean 1 (The Inspector McLean Mysteries)
by James Oswald

4.0 out of 5 stars a good read with a few flaws, 19 Aug 2013
My first attempt at James Oswald. A little Ian Rankinish/Rebus but not as good in my opinion - Edinburgh location, a grumpy Inspector, overworked uniformed Officers and snide senior officers with poor man-management skills. One sub plot a little predictable and proof reader needs to work harder with Sergeant Houseman suddenly called Constable Houseman and a couple of spelling mistakes. One or two phrases jarred eg " a line of trees burst through the paving slabs like the end of civilisation" What does that mean?. To me it felt like padding or an attempt to win a literary prize! However if that sounds a little 'nit-picky', overall I thought this was a very good read which I recommend and I will probably move on to the next instalment. In fact I will now add it to my wish list.

Kent B225C Best-Quality Chamois Leather (Medium)
Kent B225C Best-Quality Chamois Leather (Medium)

3.0 out of 5 stars Need to buy the bigger size, 31 July 2013
Nice quality but too small for a rapid and effective drying of a family car. Soft and drys small panels well though

The Faber Book of Reportage
The Faber Book of Reportage
by John Carey

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating read, 11 Dec 2012
Received this book as a gift and have subsequently bought it for two other people. Found it fascinating to read eye witness accounts by journalists and lay people present at major historic events throughout the centuries. It is the sort of book that is ideal for dipping in and out of whilst maybe reading other books as most of the entries are only a few paragraphs or a few pages. Some very graphic accounts and some very moving accounts

Bench Juror B Printed Men's T-Shirt Dark Navy Blue Medium
Bench Juror B Printed Men's T-Shirt Dark Navy Blue Medium
Offered by Xact Clothing

5.0 out of 5 stars care re sizing, 11 Dec 2012
A good quality product but be careful re sizing. Ordered medium but was only just 38in in the medium range 38-40. I wanted a replacement with a larger size but Amazon would only give a refund (with pp deducted!) as apparently it was my fault.

Quiksilver CRCL NW-Neck Warmer Men's Neck Warmer Black One Size
Quiksilver CRCL NW-Neck Warmer Men's Neck Warmer Black One Size

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT a scarf, 11 Dec 2012
Just a warning to fellow buyers. The description of this item is "scarf". It is not entirely clear that it is in fact a neck warmer. Only when it arrived did I search the web description again and find in smaller print the words "neck warmer". I returned it "not as described" but Amazon would not allow a replacement item to be ordered, only a refund with pp deducted.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2013 9:48 PM GMT

Micro
Micro
by Michael Crichton

4.0 out of 5 stars surprisingly exciting read for me, 8 Oct 2012
This review is from: Micro (Paperback)
Had I read a full synopsis of this book, I probably would not have bought it. Futuristic sci-fi adventures are not my thing (although it is based in the now) and I have never read M Crichton before. I thought it was a detective/thriller novel and to some (small) extent it is. However, I allowed myself to get sucked in and after a couple of chapters I was hooked! I cared about the main characters and was genuinely surprised/shocked at some of the plot developments and the effect they had on the individual characters. At times I had to put the book down and come back to it later as I had not expected a certain turn of events. This was a surprise to me and I had commented to my wife early on that "this is not my kind of book". Really enjoyed Micro so if you are a potential reader keep an open mind, I am glad I did. I found it fast moving and involving and some of the sci-fi may not be far into the future!

Draper 45334 Expert 32mm Diameter Tree Pruner with Telescopic Handle and Cutting Capacity

5.0 out of 5 stars quality product, 24 Aug 2012
Really pleased with these. Used to control the growth of several smallish trees in Garden. Easily cuts through branches as thick, say, as a broom handle with surprisingly little effort. Have not needed to use the saw attachment yet so cannot comment on ease of use. But will add a comment later. Light to use and appear well made.

Defending the Guilty: Truth and Lies in the Criminal Courtroom
Defending the Guilty: Truth and Lies in the Criminal Courtroom
by Alex McBride

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 6 Aug 2012
An enjoyable read that engaged me from beginning to end. I had often wondered about the idea of vigorously defending the guilty and although this book goes some way to explaining the barrister's point of view and I am convinced of the need for everybody to be represented equally, I am not attracted to the apparent celebration/triumphalism of the defence barrister when he/she has actually got somebody off when they know that they are guilty.
Alex McBride tells a good story so that the theoretical and technical is mixed with explanatory tales from the coalface which are human and often amusing.
Not sure that some of the mathematics used to explain DNA evidence is correct but a small matter in the context of the book ( but not in court!) and there is a smattering of language from the John Terry dictionary to contend with but overall a jolly good read and an informative one.

Spear & Jackson - Razorsharp Advance Hedge Shears
Spear & Jackson - Razorsharp Advance Hedge Shears

5.0 out of 5 stars superior product., 3 Aug 2012
Really efficient product. Have used to trim 60metres of Hornbeam hedge both sides. Much quicker than old shears - why have I put up with them so long when this replacement product is so reasonably priced!! Sharp, light and easy to use

Finest Years: Churchill as Warlord 1940-45
Finest Years: Churchill as Warlord 1940-45

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, shatters some views of UK's record in WW2, 18 Jun 2012
I enjoyed this book, although I found it a little long winded at times. Being a baby boomer born in 1946 with a desert rat,injured in North Africa and Monte Casino,for a father I may have had a 'romantic' idea of the UK's heroism in WW2 even though he rarely talked about it. This has to some degree been shattered by Max Hastings but I accept entirely his historian's viewpoint and accuracy. It was the sheer inactivity of our armed forces for long periods (particularly The Army) that was a surprise to me. It is good to read a rounded view of Churchill - clearly Hastings is an admirer but not a sycophant.

Page: 1 | 2