Profile for S. Owen > Reviews

Content by S. Owen

S. Owen

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Silver stud earrings set with Sapphire blue SWAROVSKI crystal.
Silver stud earrings set with Sapphire blue SWAROVSKI crystal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice earrings, 8 July 2014
These silver earrings are much better than I thought they would be for the price. Good solid posts with nice backs and the swarovski crystal (a 4mm one I believe) seems genuine and catches the light very nicely.
As I buy swarovski crystals like this to decorate my daughter's skating garments, I was worried these earrings might look a little "homemade" but they are not at all. Much nicer than anything you can get on the high street for even double the price. I've had lots of compliments about them as they tend to catch the light. I will almost certainly look at the other colours available.

BT Broadband Extender 500 Kit, Powerline Adapter
BT Broadband Extender 500 Kit, Powerline Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Very simple and worked immediately, 5 July 2014
We bought a smart TV without realising it was not quite as smart as we'd been led to believe as it could not pick up wifi without us purchasing a dongle or plugging it into the internet.

Both solutions seemed to have insurmountable problems, The wifi dongle recommended for our TV had poor reviews unless you were in the same room as the hub, and even had it worked, it was an expensive solution. However, had the TV been in the same room we could have plugged it straight in via an ethernet cable, thus negating the need for a dongle. Instead, this was a TV for a back room and there was no way of running a cable round.

We nearly took the TV back but then my father-in-law recommended a broadband extender through the plug sockets. I was sceptical but thought we would give it a go as this was by far the cheapest solution to get internet to the TV (much less than the dongle or upgrading the TV to one that was properly clever).

I'm pretty technorubbish but even I got this to work really quickly and easily. You simply take it out of the box, plug one end into your hub and a nearby power socket, and the other end into the TV and a power socket near to that. That was it. The TV picked up the internet signal immediately. No passwords, no fiddly set up procedures, just plug it in and turn it on. We thought it might not work in our house as the previous inhabitants wired a lot of the electricity up to some very random circuits, but we had absolutely no problem.

If you need wifi where a cable won't stretch, I would highly recommend this.

August DTA270 Freeview TV Aerial - Portable Indoor/Outdoor Digital Antenna for USB TV Tuner / DVB-T Television / DAB Radio - With detachable rod
Offered by Daffodil UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for us, 2 July 2014
I'm guessing these reviews will always be subjective because it's easier to pick up a signal in some parts of the country than others. However, we plugged this in and tried tuning it over and over and it couldn't pick up a single channel of any sort. We've used portable aerials before with no problem here. I did wonder when I received it if it would work as it was much cheaper and flimsier looking than you would think from the picture and than I expected. It looks like a very cheap Chinese import and has no real descriptions of its ability/ range or any instructions at all. My own fault for not realising you get what you pay for, I guess.
From other reviews, it obviously works for some people. But I had to send it straight back as it was totally useless.

Letts GCSE in a Week Revision Guides - Chemistry
Letts GCSE in a Week Revision Guides - Chemistry
by Emma Poole

5.0 out of 5 stars A week is a little ambitious but clear layout and worth getting, 20 Jun 2014
We got this book because my daughter had used the Letts Biology in a Week the previous year and found it worthwhile.
It's certainly possible to cover everything in there in a week - but I'd say it's a push if you have other GCSEs at the same time. It does require you to cover around 5 different topics/ double pages a day and I'd say to take it in thoroughly you need a bit more time than that.
It explains everything in a short concise manner with a clear layout and good graphics. It won't cover every single thing you need but it's a brilliant memory jogger for work already done and it reminds you of all the essential facts you need to know.
We used it as a revision aid for Chemistry IGCSE - which is more in depth than the coverage of this book. However, it was a very worthwhile purchase and really helped guide my daughter's revision over the last two to three weeks before the exam.
We will definitely get the Physics equivalent when she does that next year so the fact that we have happily bought three in the same series is enough for me to recommend it. Just buy it a bit in advance of a week before the GCSE!

Music Theory Past Papers 2012, ABRSM Grade 4 (Theory of Music Exam papers (ABRSM))

5.0 out of 5 stars Standard ABRSM past papers for the grade, 20 Jun 2014
For those unfamiliar with the format, ABRSM publish each year the previous years' exam papers. This set, as they all do, contains 4 past papers, the one set in the spring session, the summer session, the autumn session and an extra paper. I would recommend working through at least two different booklets (ie 8 papers) if you want to be really familiar with the layout and get a good mark in the exam. These follow on nicely from the ABRSM Music Theory in Practice books but it's hard to get a really good mark from the books alone. Model answers are available separately should you need them.
I used to say to pupils it didn't matter what year you got and to a certain extent it doesn't. However, I have noticed very subtle changes in the language and even questions over the 20 years I've been teaching this (I know, old!) so I now recommend pupils get the latest year they can. 2013 is out now so I'd get that one as a first choice but there's no real difference between the two years except for them being 4 different papers so this would do just as well.

Forgotten Dreams
Forgotten Dreams

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful melody, 20 Jun 2014
This review is from: Forgotten Dreams (MP3 Download)
This is a beautiful melody and I think must have been used for TV/ advert or similar at some time as everyone who hears it asks what it is. I remember my parents playing it from my childhood.
My daughters have both used this to choreograph ice skating and ballet dances to, which it's perfect for. It's gentle but has a bit of a rousing moment in the middle. One of my favourite ever tunes.

Essential Keyboard Duets, Vol 6: Music by J. C. Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Dvorįk, and Mozart (Alfred Masterwork Edition: Essential Keyboard Repertoire)
by Alfred Publishing Staff

5.0 out of 5 stars Having lots of fun with this book, 20 Jun 2014
I'm really enjoying playing the duets in this book with my teen daughter. We are currently tackling a Mozart sonata which is a cause for much mirth (and would be for anyone listening). The book has a nice selection of pieces - movements from Bach Sonata in F Op18, Beethoven sonata in D Op6, 4 Brahms Hungarian Dances, 5 Brahms waltzes, 2 Dvorak slavonic dances and two Mozart sonatas.

Volume 3 is also at this more advanced level, containing music by later composers such as Bizet, Debussy and Ravel.

It's worth noting that you'd certainly both need to be Grade 6+ on the piano to tackle these duets and some are harder than that. Both my daughter and I are Grade 8/ Grade 8+ and we've still had some hilarious moments of inaccuracy when trying these out - all part of the fun as long as you are not in front of other people and you know your duet partner well! There are other easier books in the same series if you are looking for something a bit less meaty. Highly recommended.

Music Theory Past Papers 2013, ABRSM Grade 1
Music Theory Past Papers 2013, ABRSM Grade 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Standard past papers for Grade 1 theory, 20 Jun 2014
For those unfamiliar with the format, ABRSM publish each year the previous years' exam papers. This set, as they all do, contains 4 past papers, the one set in the spring session, the summer session, the autumn session and an extra paper. I would recommend working through at least a set of past papers (ie the 4 in this booklet) at this grade if you want to be really familiar with the layout and get a good mark in the exam. These follow on nicely from Music Theory in Practice or Music Theory for Young Musicians Grade 1 but it's hard to get a really good mark from the books alone. Model answers are available separately should you need them. Even if you are not taking the exam but just working through the grades up to 5, it's worth having a look at the past papers on the way as they often reveal gaps in your knowledge you didn't know you had!
I used to say to pupils it didn't matter what year you got and to a certain extent it doesn't. However, I have noticed very subtle changes in the language and even questions over the 20 years I've been teaching this (I know, old!) so I now recommend pupils get the latest year they can - of which 2013 currently is.

Music Theory Past Papers 2013, ABRSM Grade 5
Music Theory Past Papers 2013, ABRSM Grade 5
Edition: Sheet music

5.0 out of 5 stars Standard ABRSM past papers, essential exam practice, 20 Jun 2014
For those unfamiliar with the format, ABRSM publish each year the previous years' exam papers. This set, as they all do, contains 4 past papers, the one set in the spring session, the summer session, the autumn session and an extra paper. I would recommend working through at least two different booklets for Grade 5 (ie 8 papers) if you want to be really familiar with the layout and get a good mark in the exam. These follow on nicely from the ABRSM Music Theory in Practice books but it's hard to get a really good mark from the books alone. Model answers are available separately should you need them.
I used to say to pupils it didn't matter what year past papers you got and to a certain extent it doesn't. However, I have noticed very subtle changes in the language and even questions over the 20 years I've been teaching this (I know, old!) so I now recommend pupils get the latest year they can - of which 2013 currently is.

The Beginner's Guide to Dog Agility
The Beginner's Guide to Dog Agility
by Laurie Leach

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comprehensive for a beginner, 19 Jun 2014
I found this book well written and easy to understand. I am a complete novice to dog agility but this book did a great job of training me - which is as important as training the dog! I gave my husband the instructions for making a jump from the back of this book and he had a very happy day making a very professional looking jump out of plumbing tubes for much less money than you can buy them for. I am now training the two cleverest and least stubborn of our dogs (the other just runs round the outside as he can't see the point in it) to jump, starting very low. They are loving it and we will move on to another piece of equipment soon. Step by step instructions so you can't really go wrong. Worth every penny.
The one piece of advice I would give is to go on the kennel club website and measure your dog so you know what height to make the equipment. The jumps needed to be much lower than I would have guessed and the book doesn't tell you (I suspect as it's American their regs may be different).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4