Profile for S. Owen > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Memory Foam Contoured Pillow With Zipped Washable Cover
Memory Foam Contoured Pillow With Zipped Washable Cover
Offered by mondomproducts

5.0 out of 5 stars The most comfortable pillow I've had and good for neck pain, 30 Mar. 2015
I've never had a memory foam pillow before, though I have slept on a memory foam mattress. I was getting a lot of neck ache after a car accident some while back left me with ongoing problems. In despair I thought I would try this.
I thought I would find the contoured shape odd as one side is bigger than the other and it seems you put the bigger side under your neck. After a night to get used to it, I was hooked. This is undoubtedly the most comfortable pillow I have ever owned. It has substantially reduced my neck pain and I really look forward to laying on it. You get a wonderful sensation of sinking into it and yet it is very supportive. So far (about a month on) it has completely held its shape like new. I wish I had bought this a year ago.

Barking Heads Bailey Bites Digesties 200 g
Barking Heads Bailey Bites Digesties 200 g

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairly pricey but dogs loved them, 30 Mar. 2015
I bought these as they are good if the dog gets wind or eats something dodgy (a common occurrence with our greedy scavengers). Because they are expensive compared to other dog treats, I decided to keep them for such occasions. I tried them out,giving one to each of our four dogs, and they all seemed keen.
However, when my back was turned the most resourceful and cunning of our dogs managed to get up on the kitchen side and steal them from the shelf. From what I could make out, all dogs then consumed them with gusto.
No dog was ill after this escapade; in fact their bowels were most acceptable. I wish the biscuits were a bit cheaper but they seemed good quality and so I would get them again. However, keep them under lock and key!

Big Bargain 15 x Color Touch Stylus Pen For NDS NINTENDO DS LITE
Big Bargain 15 x Color Touch Stylus Pen For NDS NINTENDO DS LITE
Offered by Viskey(From HK, 15-35 days delivery)

2.0 out of 5 stars Colours nothing like picture; I got lots of white, 30 Mar. 2015
I sent these back for a refund. Maybe I was unlucky but they were nothing like the picture. They looked as though somebody had found a bunch of mismatched leftover styluses from the back of a warehouse and chucked them in a bag together. They weren't even all the same size. I got a good few white and then various shades of greyish blue, with a couple of other nondescript colours thrown in. Not one of the colours was bright or nice as in the picture - no lilac, no bright yellow or orange, no royal blue or black. They were all washed out, faded looking - and there were a good few duplicates so not much colour selection.
Had I paid just a couple of pounds for these I wouldn't have bothered returning but I got them on Amazon Prime and paid through the nose for the privilege. I ordered three Pokemon styluses for half the price of these; they were nice quality and chunky. Unless you're getting these for next to nothing, don't waste your money. If you're buying for a couple of pounds from china and you don't care what colours you get, maybe worth it as I
did get the advertised 15.

Simple Solution UV Spot Spotter Urine Detector
Simple Solution UV Spot Spotter Urine Detector

2.0 out of 5 stars It does show up something, but not just dog urine, and that not very reliably, 27 Jan. 2015
I bought this because we have a rescue dog who is taking an age to become fully continent in the house - we are getting there but still have enough accidents that I need a good supply of simple solution (which I find very good). However, to be extra sure that I was completely eliminating any urine from the carpets I decided to get one of these.

I'm really not sure if it works or not, to be honest. You need it to be completely dark - pitch black - to see anything very much. Even then, all kinds of other things show up under the UV light; bits of fluff etc. I would suggest giving the carpet a thorough vacuum first to maximise your chances of seeing anything.

We have a very old flat carpet on the upstairs landing and it didn't do a bad job on that - it certainly found some stains of something! Having said that, it was an old carpet when we moved in and I really couldn't tell if I was looking at urine traces or something completely different dropped there years ago. I cleaned it anyway, so got some satisfaction!

However, downstairs we have a carpet with fibres in it which show up under UV light, unbeknown to us before purchasing this. On this carpet the product was as good as useless because the whole carpet showed up as mottled (and no, the dog definitely hasn't been to the toilet over the entire carpet!).

I had fun for 5 minutes and this reassured me that we are not living over a film of invisible dog wee - but in all honesty, it's a bit of a gimmick. I probably wouldn't recommend it.

Direct-2-Your-Door - Tesco Hudl Pack of 5 High Capacitive Stylus Pens Green/Black/White/Purple/Hot Pink
Offered by Direct-2-Your-Door

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good if they work - but don't be surprised if not all 5 do, 27 Jan. 2015
These are fairly sturdy feeling, sit nicely in the hand, and in the main work well on the tablet (any tablet from what I can see - not specifically for the hudl). I say "in the main" because one pen doesn't seem to work as well as the others and the white one had to be thrown away immediately as the sponge bit on the end was pushed down right inside the metal rim. Had I used it I would have had a very scratched and damaged tablet.

If these had been more expensive I would have complained and demanded 5 working ones instead of the 3 I got. However, they cost very little more than singles from other sellers - and in reality, no one needs 5 unless you're buying for mulitple users. So I just kept the good ones. My daughter wanted these for her new hudl and finds them very good for applications where you need to be a bit more precise such as art apps.

A reasonable buy as long as you aren't expecting these to be good enough quality for 5 separate people to have one each.

Mikki Undercoat Rake for Double/ Thick Coats
Mikki Undercoat Rake for Double/ Thick Coats

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for dogs with a thick undercoat, 27 Nov. 2014
Three of our dogs are shelties with thick double coats (they are like mini Lassies). They have an undercoat which tends to get stuck if not brushed out on a regular basis. I've tried brushes but they aren't very effective except on the top coat. I have also tried shedding combs, which work but which one dog objects particularly strongly to.

I've found mikki products very good before so I ordered this undercoat rake. It looks like an instrument of torture and I thought GrumpyOldDog was going to have a field day showing his teeth, but the dogs actually don't mind it at all. It is extremely effective and gets the undercoat out beautifully without damaging the top coat at all. If you want a show dog look you'll need something else to sheen up the top coat and give them that just brushed look but this is extremely effective at doing what it is meant to. After 10 minutes using this I could knit another dog with the huge amount that it gets out!

I also have a furminator which is brilliant and effective but, surprisingly, maybe better on our dog who has just a single coat. I think this undercoat rake slightly has the edge for our shelties as they find it pulls less and it does not affect the top coat at all. If you have a dog with a similar coat I would highly recommend this.

Simple Solution Washable Travel and Training Pad for Small/ Medium Dogs
Simple Solution Washable Travel and Training Pad for Small/ Medium Dogs

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended if you've tried and failed with everything else - but maybe go for large, 27 Nov. 2014
I bought this because I have an ex-puppy-farm rescue dog who has lived her whole 4-5 years in a cage, never in a house before. She has a whole bunch of issues we are having to overcome and one is that she is proving extremely difficult to house train. Unlike puppies and other dogs we have had she was more than happy to toilet in her bed or a crate, making it a very tricky prospect. I resisted any form of puppy pads because I was trying to train her to go outside, but after months of constantly washing carpets and getting through gallons and gallons of simple solution, I figured that if I could get her to use puppy pads it had to be better than her constantly peeing just anywhere that took her fancy.

I've been using disposable pads with some success and 9 times out of 10 she will now go on a pad. However, they look horrible all over the place and ruck up easily with 4 dogs stampeding over them so I decided to buy one of these and try it by the door to the bedroom (finding that if I shut her in with us at night she will go by the bedroom door).

It's been a great success. Some nights now she holds on until I let her out in the morning, which is amazing. When she does go, she goes on the pad. How she differentiates between that and the carpet I don't know - especially as she loves carpet as a surface to toilet on - but she does and she uses it reliably. It seems to be very absorbent and the pee seems to more or less stay in the mat. I say more or less because once or twice she went a bit near to the edge and although I couldn't see anything, the other dogs were sniffing at the carpet. In view of this, I have now ordered a large. She is only a small dog (7kg) but I think the larger the spot to hit, the better. The large is only a couple of pounds more so I would probably advise going for that one.

I also intend to use this in the car to sit one of our dogs on who is regularly travel sick on long journeys. It has a nice waterproof backing and is very absorbent so I have every faith it will hold whatever is thrown at it (quite literally!).

It's so absorbent that be warned you won't always notice the mat has been used, unlike disposable mats. I have stepped on it with bare feet and had to go and wash my foot on more than one occasion! It goes in the machine beautifully and washes well.
If our dog uses this for the rest of her life I figure it is no worse than cleaning out a litter tray and a whole lot better than trying to deal with a smelly carpet on a daily basis.

Piano Exam Pieces 2015 & 2016, Grade 4: Selected from the 2015 & 2016 syllabus (ABRSM Exam Pieces)
by Richard Jones (Dr)
Edition: Sheet music

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this current syllabus, 3 Nov. 2014
I've taught piano for many years and have to say this is a lovely list for Grade 4 - I'm really liking it this year. A lot of the pieces are very appealing, so much so that particularly in the C list pupils are having trouble choosing. The Indian Pony Race is proving extremely popular and is very achievable for the level. I even have pupils who don't usually take exams learning some of these for enjoyment.
I'm liking it so much that I'm urging all my Grade 2 and 3 pupils to get a move on so they can do this! ABRSM have come up trumps this time.

Grade 8 Piano Anthology 2015/2016 (Piano Solo)
Grade 8 Piano Anthology 2015/2016 (Piano Solo)
by Various

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't know these existed!, 3 Nov. 2014
I came upon this book by accident when buying the standard ABRSM Grade 8 piano book on amazon. One of the things I find when teaching Grade 8 piano is that pupils really need to be inspired by the music they are playing. With the time and dedication needed at this level, it's a shame if the pieces don't really suit the pupil or don't appeal to them. The ABRSM book goes some way towards addressing this by having 6 C list pieces in it, but this book covers almost the whole lists and gives you much more choice in the (sometimes less appealing to pupils) lists A and B. I already have the CD published for the grade and with this book pupils can follow the music as they are listening and choosing their pieces, giving them a better idea of what will be involved.
I wish I had known about this book before as I see one has been published in previous years. It's not at all expensive for what it is and I would recommend it to anyone embarking on ABRSM Grade 8, or wanting some extra repertoire at this level. I think it will be a useful book to have even once the syllabus has run out as it contains so much variety, with a lot of the music different to the anthologies you usually get at this level.

Complete Piano Player: New Chart Hits
Complete Piano Player: New Chart Hits
by Various

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad selection and very playable, 3 Nov. 2014
This is rather good. One of the problems with books of chart hits is that by default, by the time they are published they are out of date and my teen piano pupils have moved on to the next thing. However, the pieces in this book are popular enough that even a year or so on they are still appealing to their target audience. A good few of my pupils have found songs they like in this book.
The arrangements are roughly around Grade 3 standard, I'd say. There's a generally simple right hand melody for those who are pre this level (with a couple simple enough for pretty much beginners to attempt), but with enough accompaniment to make the pieces satisfying to those a bit further along. More advanced pupils can pretty much sight read them and play for enjoyment.
I have a few Complete Piano Player books from years back and I didn't realise they were still going strong. I will keep an eye out for more in the future.
Songs are -
Wherever will you go, Price Tag, The A team, Best thing I never had, Skinny Love, Paradise, Read all about it Part III, Locked out of heaven, Skyfall, Stay, One way or another, Just give me a reason, Let her go, Mirrors.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6