Profile for S. Owen > Reviews

S. Owen

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Mikki Undercoat Rake for Double/ Thick Coats
Mikki Undercoat Rake for Double/ Thick Coats

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for dogs with a thick undercoat, 27 Nov 2014
Three of our dogs are shelties with thick double coats (they are like mini Lassies). They have an undercoat which tends to get stuck if not brushed out on a regular basis. I've tried brushes but they aren't very effective except on the top coat. I have also tried shedding combs, which work but which one dog objects particularly strongly to.

I've found mikki products very good before so I ordered this undercoat rake. It looks like an instrument of torture and I thought GrumpyOldDog was going to have a field day showing his teeth, but the dogs actually don't mind it at all. It is extremely effective and gets the undercoat out beautifully without damaging the top coat at all. If you want a show dog look you'll need something else to sheen up the top coat and give them that just brushed look but this is extremely effective at doing what it is meant to. After 10 minutes using this I could knit another dog with the huge amount that it gets out!

I also have a furminator which is brilliant and effective but, surprisingly, maybe better on our dog who has just a single coat. I think this undercoat rake slightly has the edge for our shelties as they find it pulls less and it does not affect the top coat at all. If you have a dog with a similar coat I would highly recommend this.

Simple Solution Washable Travel and Training Pad for Small/ Medium Dogs
Simple Solution Washable Travel and Training Pad for Small/ Medium Dogs

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended if you've tried and failed with everything else - but maybe go for large, 27 Nov 2014
I bought this because I have an ex-puppy-farm rescue dog who has lived her whole 4-5 years in a cage, never in a house before. She has a whole bunch of issues we are having to overcome and one is that she is proving extremely difficult to house train. Unlike puppies and other dogs we have had she was more than happy to toilet in her bed or a crate, making it a very tricky prospect. I resisted any form of puppy pads because I was trying to train her to go outside, but after months of constantly washing carpets and getting through gallons and gallons of simple solution, I figured that if I could get her to use puppy pads it had to be better than her constantly peeing just anywhere that took her fancy.

I've been using disposable pads with some success and 9 times out of 10 she will now go on a pad. However, they look horrible all over the place and ruck up easily with 4 dogs stampeding over them so I decided to buy one of these and try it by the door to the bedroom (finding that if I shut her in with us at night she will go by the bedroom door).

It's been a great success. Some nights now she holds on until I let her out in the morning, which is amazing. When she does go, she goes on the pad. How she differentiates between that and the carpet I don't know - especially as she loves carpet as a surface to toilet on - but she does and she uses it reliably. It seems to be very absorbent and the pee seems to more or less stay in the mat. I say more or less because once or twice she went a bit near to the edge and although I couldn't see anything, the other dogs were sniffing at the carpet. In view of this, I have now ordered a large. She is only a small dog (7kg) but I think the larger the spot to hit, the better. The large is only a couple of pounds more so I would probably advise going for that one.

I also intend to use this in the car to sit one of our dogs on who is regularly travel sick on long journeys. It has a nice waterproof backing and is very absorbent so I have every faith it will hold whatever is thrown at it (quite literally!).

It's so absorbent that be warned you won't always notice the mat has been used, unlike disposable mats. I have stepped on it with bare feet and had to go and wash my foot on more than one occasion! It goes in the machine beautifully and washes well.
If our dog uses this for the rest of her life I figure it is no worse than cleaning out a litter tray and a whole lot better than trying to deal with a smelly carpet on a daily basis.

Piano Exam Pieces 2015 & 2016, Grade 4: Selected from the 2015 & 2016 syllabus (ABRSM Exam Pieces)
by Richard Jones (Dr)
Edition: Sheet music

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this current syllabus, 3 Nov 2014
I've taught piano for many years and have to say this is a lovely list for Grade 4 - I'm really liking it this year. A lot of the pieces are very appealing, so much so that particularly in the C list pupils are having trouble choosing. The Indian Pony Race is proving extremely popular and is very achievable for the level. I even have pupils who don't usually take exams learning some of these for enjoyment.
I'm liking it so much that I'm urging all my Grade 2 and 3 pupils to get a move on so they can do this! ABRSM have come up trumps this time.

Grade 8 Piano Anthology 2015/2016 (Piano Solo)
Grade 8 Piano Anthology 2015/2016 (Piano Solo)
by Various

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't know these existed!, 3 Nov 2014
I came upon this book by accident when buying the standard ABRSM Grade 8 piano book on amazon. One of the things I find when teaching Grade 8 piano is that pupils really need to be inspired by the music they are playing. With the time and dedication needed at this level, it's a shame if the pieces don't really suit the pupil or don't appeal to them. The ABRSM book goes some way towards addressing this by having 6 C list pieces in it, but this book covers almost the whole lists and gives you much more choice in the (sometimes less appealing to pupils) lists A and B. I already have the CD published for the grade and with this book pupils can follow the music as they are listening and choosing their pieces, giving them a better idea of what will be involved.
I wish I had known about this book before as I see one has been published in previous years. It's not at all expensive for what it is and I would recommend it to anyone embarking on ABRSM Grade 8, or wanting some extra repertoire at this level. I think it will be a useful book to have even once the syllabus has run out as it contains so much variety, with a lot of the music different to the anthologies you usually get at this level.

Complete Piano Player: New Chart Hits
Complete Piano Player: New Chart Hits
by Various

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad selection and very playable, 3 Nov 2014
This is rather good. One of the problems with books of chart hits is that by default, by the time they are published they are out of date and my teen piano pupils have moved on to the next thing. However, the pieces in this book are popular enough that even a year or so on they are still appealing to their target audience. A good few of my pupils have found songs they like in this book.
The arrangements are roughly around Grade 3 standard, I'd say. There's a generally simple right hand melody for those who are pre this level (with a couple simple enough for pretty much beginners to attempt), but with enough accompaniment to make the pieces satisfying to those a bit further along. More advanced pupils can pretty much sight read them and play for enjoyment.
I have a few Complete Piano Player books from years back and I didn't realise they were still going strong. I will keep an eye out for more in the future.
Songs are -
Wherever will you go, Price Tag, The A team, Best thing I never had, Skinny Love, Paradise, Read all about it Part III, Locked out of heaven, Skyfall, Stay, One way or another, Just give me a reason, Let her go, Mirrors.

65W Charger for HP Pavilion 14 15 Series - Original Lavolta Laptop AC Adapter Notebook Power Supply - 19.5V 3.33A
Offered by Smart Parts UK, Digital Lifestyle Retailer

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks good quality but doesn't fit all the models described, 8 Oct 2014
I have a Dell inspiron 15 laptop and bought this when I lost my old charger (hazard of sharing a laptop with teens). It looked to be the best on offer for the money. When it came it was beautifully boxed, and though not a dell original (which would have been ££££), looked to be a really nice quality charger.

This one looked as though it would be correct from the description - it cited my model and was the exact correct ampage/ wattage etc. However, sadly the connector on the end did not fit my laptop so it had to go back and I had to search for something very specifically for my model.

For me it was worth a try as amazon took it back with no expense or fuss, but be aware that it doesn't fit all the models it says it does.

R80 LED 9w E27 Cool White Replacment for Reflector R80 LED Light Bulb Energy saving 700 Lumens 6000K 75w Equivalent Light output
Offered by Strictly Lamps

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good lightbulb and excellent value, 8 Oct 2014
We have 3 reflector wall lights in one of our rooms, fitted by the previous owner, and no ceiling lights. These lights have been the bane of my life for years. Although the traditional bulbs are cheaper than they used to be, you can still pay a few pounds for a multipack and they constantly blow. There is always at least one light of the three not working - sometimes they go within a couple of weeks.

I've tried traditional energy saving in a lamp in this room, but I really can't get bright enough. So, despite the expense, I ordered one of these two months ago.

I've been really pleased with it. If you want a warmer looking light you'll need warm instead of this cool option, but I personally like it as it looks more like daylight. I'm hoping it will actually last and so far, so good. The light isn't quite the same in brightness terms as a traditional bulb - has a different feel somehow. I suspect it has less spread across the the whole room. However, I think with three in the room it will be fine - I need bright for paperwork etc.

Yesterday I noticed another of the remaining two traditional bulbs has blown (there's a surprise) so I trawled back through my amazon orders to find this and order another. Its a great replacement for a traditional spotlight, fits the E27 screw fitting we have perfectly and I will eventually replace all three with these. I then hope not to spend any more on bulbs for that room for an extremely long time!

Water Pistol Gun 15cm Drenchers - Single Assorted Colours
Water Pistol Gun 15cm Drenchers - Single Assorted Colours
Offered by Babz Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't comment on water fights but much kinder than a bark collar!, 27 Aug 2014
For a really cheap price this is an effective little water pistol and doesn't seem to really leak (most this size do). I'm not sure how good you would find it in an actual water fight, though it does have a pretty good range for something this small.

I bought it because I have a very barky breed dog and a neighbour who complains at everything (and I mean everything; the pebbles on our boundary were once not arranged neatly enough). I daren't let the dog bark at all or neighbour is immediately at the door threatening all sorts. Our dog can get territorial at the postman and passers by and I knew I had to stop her. All the attempts at dog class to teach her to bark and stop on command did was teach the clever animal to bark more. Whenever she wanted a treat, she would bark furiously so that she would be told to stop and treated. I needed something different.

I only had to squirt it at her once. If she starts barking now I show her the water gun and she sits quietly. Peace all round and I actually think the dog is happier because she no longer sits at the window all day waiting for people to bark at. The stupid thing is, she loves water if there is a river or even muddy puddle nearby so how this is so effective I have no idea!

Adjustable 36 Compartment Slot Plastic Craft Storage Box Jewelry Tool Container
Adjustable 36 Compartment Slot Plastic Craft Storage Box Jewelry Tool Container
Offered by Macallen Importers

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for loom bands and nicely sized, 27 Aug 2014
We bought two of these to store loom bands in. They are a good size and you can take out the compartments in any combination to make bigger compartments. They are excellent for the job we were after and not too expensive compared to some of the dedicated storage boxes you can buy.

Official Rainbow Loom 600 Clear Jelly Refill Bands w/ C Clips
Official Rainbow Loom 600 Clear Jelly Refill Bands w/ C Clips
Offered by Gameseek

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the extra price, 27 Aug 2014
We are confident this is real thing. My daughter can tell genuine loom bands by the excellent stretch, apparently, and they come with the more useful C clips.
This clear colour is surprisingly useful. For bands which make flowers or ball shapes or need any sort of linking band, you can use these clear ones and the links are virtually invisible. They can make some quite mundane patterns look really effective.
Expensive compared to others, but worth it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5