Profile for S. Owen > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 897

S. Owen
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Creative Haven Vintage Christmas Greetings Coloring Book (Creative Haven Coloring Books)
by Marty Noble

5.0 out of 5 stars Good selection of charming pictures, 9 Dec. 2015
I bought this for my mother who is in her 70s and she was thrilled. There is a good selection of pictures in here, all in a similar vein to the one on the cover. Creative Haven are my favourite colouring books as I like the perforated pages and the pictures are only on one side of the paper. Unlike some colouring books where the pictures inside are a disappointment compared to the cover, this was a good find.

BT 6500 Cordless DECT Phone with Answer Machine and Nuisance Call Blocking
BT 6500 Cordless DECT Phone with Answer Machine and Nuisance Call Blocking

1.0 out of 5 stars Call blocking never properly worked and then the battery charger failed, 9 Dec. 2015
I was talked into buying this phone (at some expense - more than the price on here) by BT after asking them if anything could be done about the sheer volume of nuisance calls I was getting.
At first, it seemed to be working well. Then, after a short while we noticed that every time it was set to block anything, it blocked all numbers. My friends were still ringing but the phone was not letting me get them. After spending some while reading up and trying various settings, I gave up and turned the call blocking completely off.
This made the phone an expensive bog standard cordless, but it had caller display and so we chugged along with it for a couple more months.
Then the battery started failing. At first, I noticed I couldn't leave it out of the cradle at all except when answering calls, then the battery started running out halfway through calls until eventually it would not charge at all. We have tried endless replacement rechargable batteries, but the cradle will not charge them properly. The only way to get the phone to work is to put ordinary AAs in and not recharge them, leaving the phone by the cradle, but this gets through a set a day and even then the phone tends to emit loud beeps and cut out mid conversation. I have given up now on buying batteries for this phone and today ordered a corded cheap phone. This one will be going in the bin.
I'd like to say good while it lasted, but it never really worked properly. I should have returned it immediately.

Tomodachi Life (Nintendo 3DS)
Tomodachi Life (Nintendo 3DS)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very addictive little game, 29 July 2015
This is such an absorbing game! I'm quite ashamed to admit to ordering it for myself as I'm sure I'm not the target age! My teen daughter has been playing it for almost a year now and it seemed like a mini soap opera; she was constantly telling me that someone had married/ split up with/ starting dating someone else etc. I got intrigued and she said I would like it. I have now been playing it for 4 months almost daily.

In a nutshell, you look after an island which starts with just one inhabitant, and you have to create this one, and others. After you get going with a few islanders the game seems to take on a life of its own, with inhabitants dating, marrying and creating little versions of themselves, in a way which is fascinating from a genetic point of view, if nothing else. The islanders have a wealth of issues for you to sort out, from fights with other islanders to wanting new outfits. It becomes like your own personal soap opera, and though it does get a bit repetitive eventually, it takes a lot of playing for this to happen.

If you've ever played Animal Crossing, I'd say you'll like this.

Master Class Non-Stick Deep Round Cake Tin With Loose Base, 15 cm (6")
Master Class Non-Stick Deep Round Cake Tin With Loose Base, 15 cm (6")

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice quality cake tin, 29 July 2015
Beautiful high quality cake tin, much better than anything I have seen in the shops even for much more money. I have to bake a lot as I have a dairy and soya allergic daughter and I find this 6 inch size good for everyday large cakes.The tin is heavy and the non stick seems to be high quality. It's stood up to frequent, almost daily use for a couple of months now and it still looks brand new. I've had quite a few family members order one for themselves upon seeing it. I would look for this make again.

Memory Foam Off-cut 40" x 27" x2" multiple uses, dog pet bed,sun lounger,camping,caravan
Offered by Efoam

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a very good dog bed, 29 July 2015
I bought this for a dog bed for our oldest dog who is 13 now and getting very stiff in the mornings. It's a huge sheet of foam - I'd read the measurements but still underestimated how big it was! Because it's not terribly thick, I cut it in half and placed one half on top of the other. I've wrapped the whole thing in a cheap fleece blanket and hey presto, I have a lovely comfy washable dog bed for a fraction of the price of memory foam beds in well known pet stores.
The dog looked at it very suspiciously at first and insisted on sleeping on the floor beside it; I suspect because it didn't look like a bed as he knew it. However, after being lifted on it a couple of times he now loves it and is noticeably less stiff and arthritic. A good buy.

Remington HC5015 Apprentice Hair Clipper
Remington HC5015 Apprentice Hair Clipper

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value inexpensive clipper which cuts just fine, 29 July 2015
This was an inexpensive hair clipper to replace a much higher spec Remington which we'd had for years. This one is mains operated, not rechargeable. I've found that as long as you can sit fairly near a power source (it's not a particularly long lead) that's not a problem; in fact it saves an aging battery from chewing up the hair you are cutting.
The attachments are flimsier than my original clippers but seem to work every bit as well. There is less choice of attachment, but I personally tend to use a number 3 on my other half and nothing else anyway, so this isn't an issue for me.
I'd say this was a very good buy. I've used it very successfully for a few haircuts now and see no reason why it won't last for a very good time to come.

Music Theory for Young Children Book Two
Music Theory for Young Children Book Two
by Ying Ying Ng

5.0 out of 5 stars A gentle introduction to music theory, 29 July 2015
I love this series. For anyone under the age of about 9, I start them on these books instead of Grade 1 theory. They build up very gradually over four books to Grade 1 standard. This second book, having covered the most basic concepts in the first, takes treble and bass clef notes to an octave each and introduces quavers, rests and the working out of simple time signatures. The middle is full of stickers to add to various pages and there are lots of fun activities with plenty of colouring. My pupils always beg to do this book each lesson. Better than others I have tried for this age group. I've used it very successfully from ages 5 - 8 ish. But to be honest,if I had to learn theory from scratch I'd be happy to work it myself!

Music Theory for Young Children Book One, Second Edition
Music Theory for Young Children Book One, Second Edition
by Ying Ying Ng

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant theory book for young children., 29 July 2015
I love this series. For anyone under the age of about 9, I start them on these books instead of Grade 1 theory. They build up very gradually over four books to Grade 1 standard, with this first book being accessible from the very first music lessons. The middle is full of stickers to add to various pages and there are lots of fun activities with plenty of colouring. My pupils always beg to do this book each lesson. Better than others I have tried for this age group. I've used it very successfully from ages 5 - 8 ish. But to be honest,if I had to learn theory from scratch I'd be happy to work it myself!

Staedtler Noris Club 144 50NC24 Erasable Colouring Pencils - Assorted Colours (Pack of 24)

5.0 out of 5 stars They really do erase!, 29 July 2015
Nice bright colours and they really do erase!

I bought these for a strange reason. I teach piano and I am constantly copying off pages of music so I can highlight aspects in colour for students. I find this works much better for students than everything in black. However, I'm never sure that pupils should go into exams with books covered in coloured markings. After one pupil found it hard to play the piece when we switched from the colour page to the plain music, I thought it would be brilliant if you could rub out colours in the way you can pencil. And so I found these. They make good strong markings on the page as long as they are sharp. I can't comment on colouring in, I'm afraid, as I've only used them for writing in colour.

I'm being brave now and writing over all sorts of things in colour on the assumption I can rub it out later. So far, so good!

Colour Therapy (Creative Colouring for Grown-Ups)
Colour Therapy (Creative Colouring for Grown-Ups)
by Cindy Wilde

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful quality book but pre coloured sections put me off a bit, 29 July 2015
Firstly, this feels like a proper book, not just a colouring book. There is a really sturdy hard cover on it and the pages are thick and high quality. The result is that you feel as though you are opening a beautiful coffee table book.
For me, that is part of its problem. I'm a little intimidated by it. Now, I'm sure this wasn't what the author meant, in fact they are at pains to point out that there are no rules and many pages are left partly blank for you to doodle. However, each page is mostly started off for you and I'm really not an artist so I tend to look at it and think "I can't do that."

Finally I was brave enough to give it a go and was pleasantly surprised. I chose a picture of an Egyptian temple type building. Once archway had beautiful patterns on it and the other was blank. The blank fazed me a bit but I started by colouring the patterned side and then had a go at the doodling side. I have to say, I was surprised at how easy it was to make it look good. I was a total art failure at school, thrown out of the class well before O level years never to darken their doors again - but this really is do-able. Having said that, I was drawn back to my colour-by-numbers safety zone fairly quickly; but I will return to this book.

The one thing I am in two minds about - which for me reduces it to four stars (I realise it would not do so for everyone) is that the book focuses on colours which are on the opposite sides of the colour wheel, for example, blue and orange or red and green. This is informative for an art numpty like me and does make for a very striking and dramatic look. I don't personally like the effect much, but you can't escape it because almost all pages are part coloured in already in those colours. I was desperately trying to find, for example, a red page to which I could add pinks or yellows, or a blue page to which I could add lilacs or greens, but this was not possible because the blue pages, for example, almost all had orange pre-coloured in.

When I look at the lion on the front I feel as though I could make more of this book than I am. However, you definitely need a bit of confidence for this and maybe an eye for colour if you are to deviate from the blue/orange, red/green schemes prescribed by the book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7