Profile for S. Owen > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Water Pistol Gun 15cm Drenchers - Single Assorted Colours
Water Pistol Gun 15cm Drenchers - Single Assorted Colours
Offered by Top Value Prices

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't comment on water fights but much kinder than a bark collar!, 27 Aug 2014
For a really cheap price this is an effective little water pistol and doesn't seem to really leak (most this size do). I'm not sure how good you would find it in an actual water fight, though it does have a pretty good range for something this small.

I bought it because I have a very barky breed dog and a neighbour who complains at everything (and I mean everything; the pebbles on our boundary were once not arranged neatly enough). I daren't let the dog bark at all or neighbour is immediately at the door threatening all sorts. Our dog can get territorial at the postman and passers by and I knew I had to stop her. All the attempts at dog class to teach her to bark and stop on command did was teach the clever animal to bark more. Whenever she wanted a treat, she would bark furiously so that she would be told to stop and treated. I needed something different.

I only had to squirt it at her once. If she starts barking now I show her the water gun and she sits quietly. Peace all round and I actually think the dog is happier because she no longer sits at the window all day waiting for people to bark at. The stupid thing is, she loves water if there is a river or even muddy puddle nearby so how this is so effective I have no idea!

Adjustable 36 Compartment Slot Plastic Craft Storage Box Jewelry Tool Container
Adjustable 36 Compartment Slot Plastic Craft Storage Box Jewelry Tool Container
Offered by Macallen Importers

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for loom bands and nicely sized, 27 Aug 2014
We bought two of these to store loom bands in. They are a good size and you can take out the compartments in any combination to make bigger compartments. They are excellent for the job we were after and not too expensive compared to some of the dedicated storage boxes you can buy.

Official Rainbow Loom 600 Clear Jelly Refill Bands w/ C Clips
Official Rainbow Loom 600 Clear Jelly Refill Bands w/ C Clips
Offered by Gameseek

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the extra price, 27 Aug 2014
We are confident this is real thing. My daughter can tell genuine loom bands by the excellent stretch, apparently, and they come with the more useful C clips.
This clear colour is surprisingly useful. For bands which make flowers or ball shapes or need any sort of linking band, you can use these clear ones and the links are virtually invisible. They can make some quite mundane patterns look really effective.
Expensive compared to others, but worth it.

Studex Ear Care Lotion Bottles 60ml (12) - STECL12
Studex Ear Care Lotion Bottles 60ml (12) - STECL12
Offered by YOU Salons

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth getting for piercing after care, 27 Aug 2014
We were given a bottle of Studex when my daughter had her ears pierced. I suspect she was quite generous with it as it didn't last that long. I replaced it with a large bottle of good old fashioned surgical spirit but she found after a while that her ears were feeling a bit sore and she hated the smell, so I agreed to go back to Studex.
This is a bargain and a fraction of what you pay for it at a well known high street retailer. It's going to last a really long time, even with my germ-a-phobe daughter! It's kind on the ears, smells fine, and does the job. She has not had even a hint of infection since her ears were pierced two months ago and is now swapping earrings merrily.
Originally I thought this was an unnecessary expense compared to surgical spirit but I am converted to it being well worth it.

Tiger Music GAC21 Guitar Pitch Pipes
Tiger Music GAC21 Guitar Pitch Pipes

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful gadget especially for the money, 27 Aug 2014
These are very handy little pitch pipes. My teen daughter finds them easier and less of a worry to take around with her than her digital tuner - cheaper if she loses it and no batteries to worry about. We also like the fact that you can hear the actual pitch, which is easier to tune to in you have a reasonable musical ear than a digital which simply tells you whether the note is sharp or flat.
I have just a couple of minor issues with it,though given the very low price it seems ungracious to complain! One note, the D, is a bit temperamental and sometimes sounds but sometimes won't. Also, certainly the top E is an octave higher than it should be on the guitar. I only realised this when I heard my daughter pulling the guitar up far too high and got her to check it with the piano. So you have to be aware to transpose down an octave. It's possible that we just had a dodgy one, though, as no one else seems to have picked up on this.

Silver stud earrings set with Sapphire blue SWAROVSKI crystal.
Silver stud earrings set with Sapphire blue SWAROVSKI crystal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice earrings, 8 July 2014
These silver earrings are much better than I thought they would be for the price. Good solid posts with nice backs and the swarovski crystal (a 4mm one I believe) seems genuine and catches the light very nicely.
As I buy swarovski crystals like this to decorate my daughter's skating garments, I was worried these earrings might look a little "homemade" but they are not at all. Much nicer than anything you can get on the high street for even double the price. I've had lots of compliments about them as they tend to catch the light. I will almost certainly look at the other colours available.

BT Broadband Extender 500 Kit, Powerline Adapter
BT Broadband Extender 500 Kit, Powerline Adapter
Offered by Handset Solutions Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Very simple and worked immediately, 5 July 2014
We bought a smart TV without realising it was not quite as smart as we'd been led to believe as it could not pick up wifi without us purchasing a dongle or plugging it into the internet.

Both solutions seemed to have insurmountable problems, The wifi dongle recommended for our TV had poor reviews unless you were in the same room as the hub, and even had it worked, it was an expensive solution. However, had the TV been in the same room we could have plugged it straight in via an ethernet cable, thus negating the need for a dongle. Instead, this was a TV for a back room and there was no way of running a cable round.

We nearly took the TV back but then my father-in-law recommended a broadband extender through the plug sockets. I was sceptical but thought we would give it a go as this was by far the cheapest solution to get internet to the TV (much less than the dongle or upgrading the TV to one that was properly clever).

I'm pretty technorubbish but even I got this to work really quickly and easily. You simply take it out of the box, plug one end into your hub and a nearby power socket, and the other end into the TV and a power socket near to that. That was it. The TV picked up the internet signal immediately. No passwords, no fiddly set up procedures, just plug it in and turn it on. We thought it might not work in our house as the previous inhabitants wired a lot of the electricity up to some very random circuits, but we had absolutely no problem.

If you need wifi where a cable won't stretch, I would highly recommend this.

August DTA270 - Freeview TV Aerial - Portable Indoor/Outdoor Digital Antenna for USB TV Tuner / DVB-T Television / DAB Radio - With detachable rod
Offered by Daffodil UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for us, 2 July 2014
I'm guessing these reviews will always be subjective because it's easier to pick up a signal in some parts of the country than others. However, we plugged this in and tried tuning it over and over and it couldn't pick up a single channel of any sort. We've used portable aerials before with no problem here. I did wonder when I received it if it would work as it was much cheaper and flimsier looking than you would think from the picture and than I expected. It looks like a very cheap Chinese import and has no real descriptions of its ability/ range or any instructions at all. My own fault for not realising you get what you pay for, I guess.
From other reviews, it obviously works for some people. But I had to send it straight back as it was totally useless.

Letts GCSE in a Week Revision Guides - Chemistry
Letts GCSE in a Week Revision Guides - Chemistry
by Emma Poole

5.0 out of 5 stars A week is a little ambitious but clear layout and worth getting, 20 Jun 2014
We got this book because my daughter had used the Letts Biology in a Week the previous year and found it worthwhile.
It's certainly possible to cover everything in there in a week - but I'd say it's a push if you have other GCSEs at the same time. It does require you to cover around 5 different topics/ double pages a day and I'd say to take it in thoroughly you need a bit more time than that.
It explains everything in a short concise manner with a clear layout and good graphics. It won't cover every single thing you need but it's a brilliant memory jogger for work already done and it reminds you of all the essential facts you need to know.
We used it as a revision aid for Chemistry IGCSE - which is more in depth than the coverage of this book. However, it was a very worthwhile purchase and really helped guide my daughter's revision over the last two to three weeks before the exam.
We will definitely get the Physics equivalent when she does that next year so the fact that we have happily bought three in the same series is enough for me to recommend it. Just buy it a bit in advance of a week before the GCSE!

Music Theory Past Papers 2012, ABRSM Grade 4 (Theory of Music Exam papers (ABRSM))
by ABRSM
Edition: Sheet music

5.0 out of 5 stars Standard ABRSM past papers for the grade, 20 Jun 2014
For those unfamiliar with the format, ABRSM publish each year the previous years' exam papers. This set, as they all do, contains 4 past papers, the one set in the spring session, the summer session, the autumn session and an extra paper. I would recommend working through at least two different booklets (ie 8 papers) if you want to be really familiar with the layout and get a good mark in the exam. These follow on nicely from the ABRSM Music Theory in Practice books but it's hard to get a really good mark from the books alone. Model answers are available separately should you need them.
I used to say to pupils it didn't matter what year you got and to a certain extent it doesn't. However, I have noticed very subtle changes in the language and even questions over the 20 years I've been teaching this (I know, old!) so I now recommend pupils get the latest year they can. 2013 is out now so I'd get that one as a first choice but there's no real difference between the two years except for them being 4 different papers so this would do just as well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5