Profile for Nicholas Rees > Reviews

Content by Nicholas Rees

Nicholas Rees (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Best Of Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band: The Virgin & Liberty Years
The Best Of Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band: The Virgin & Liberty Years

1.0 out of 5 stars Not really my cup of tea., 10 Nov. 2014
Err. I bought this because he is well regarded and has had influence in the world of rock and some quote his Trout Mask Replica as one of the best ever albums. So I thought that I would give him a fair audition.

But I can't say that I really enjoy listening to it. The concept of many of the songs is gratuitously surreal and I can see that there is a decent musician trying to get out. But songs like "Bat chain puller" are exercises in surreality not music in my opinion and I get no pleasure at all from them.

In mitigation I saw a performance of him singing "Upon the My Oh My" from the Old Grey Whistle Test on YouTube and the live performance was quite electrifying in a strange, manic, not-the-sort-of-guy-you-want-to-stand-next-to-on-the-bus kind of way. I'd have liked to have seen him live - I think that would probably have been an interesting event.

He's clearly an influential sort of performer and has had an effect on many but I struggle to enjoy his music. I'll keep on listening to it, however, it may yet grow on me.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2015 9:52 PM BST

Que Beleza
Que Beleza
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Brazil., 10 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Que Beleza (Audio CD)
These guys are unsung (!) heroes of MPB - they have been going since the year dot; in fact one of the duo has died recently, RIP.

What you have here is samba of the highest order from the originals - the nearest equivalent I can find is to the Bueno Vista Social Club. These guys came together at in the autumn of their years and released some brilliant albums of classy and classic samba.

This is one of their great albums. You really can't go wrong this this.

Recommended.

Sol Na Cara
Sol Na Cara
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Disc from VC., 10 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Sol Na Cara (Audio CD)
I have most of VC's production and this is among the best, if not the best. The songs have real resonance and the inventive sound world with seemingly random sounds is at it's most musical in this release. At root VS is really a sambaista; if you strip away the unusual sound world many of the songs are actually straight-ahead samba and nonetheless attractive for that.

This is one that I take with me on long car journeys where I have the time and attention to listen to the whole album and it never disappoints.

Recommended.

Navega
Navega
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Music out of the top drawer., 10 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Navega (Audio CD)
This is a brilliant record. The singing, playing, arrangements and compositions are all of the highest order. In particular I love the instrumentation used and the playing is right out of the top drawer.

The style is very much "morna", the Cape Verdean style of which Cesaria Evora was the best known exponent.

One of the very best discs that I have and even my wife loves it. I am now getting hold of some of her other releases and hope that they are on a par with this.

3-D Solar System
3-D Solar System

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better., 10 Nov. 2014
This review is from: 3-D Solar System (Toy)
This is fine. Essentially all of the planets are hung independently from the ceiling so it's not like a mobile. It would have been great to have included a sun so that the relationship of the planets to the sun would be clear.

Educational nonetheless and my 5 year old can now talk about the various planets.

National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Space (First Big Books)
National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Space (First Big Books)
by Catherine D. Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars My boys love this., 10 Nov. 2014
Great book for engaging little'uns on the subject of Space - pushing against an open door for most kids really but this is a great book, very visual and teaches them about the different planets. Doesn't really go outside of our friendly local solar system but no worse for that.

Breaking Bad 1-Piece Ceramic Better Call Saul Mug
Breaking Bad 1-Piece Ceramic Better Call Saul Mug

4.0 out of 5 stars Well received present., 10 Nov. 2014
It's not the largest mug in the world but my wife loved it - she is a big fan of BB and Saul in particular.

Practice Makes Perfect French Conversation (Practice Makes Perfect Series)
Practice Makes Perfect French Conversation (Practice Makes Perfect Series)
by Eliane Kurbegov

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to support learning practical French., 10 Nov. 2014
This is a very useful book which concentrates on practical French. My French colleagues have looked it over and warned me that it can be slangy at times - the French tend to formality in business conversations, even internal - but that it is valid and reflects how people do actually talk in friendly situations.

You will need a certain level of French in order to be able to use this - I would describe this as O Level plus (if you know what an O level is!) - so it is certainly not for the absolute beginner.

Very worthwhile and there are surprisingly few French books of this type so well worth buying.

Business Reimagined: Why work isn't working and what you can do about it
Business Reimagined: Why work isn't working and what you can do about it
by Dave Coplin

2.0 out of 5 stars Slight book that doesn't really say anything new., 10 Nov. 2014
My team all read this as part of our monthly book club and it took me around 45m to read and annotate it. My summary of this very slight book is that it doesn't really say anything that isn't readily obvious to anyone already in business. It does make the valid point that innovation and agility are really important in business so that when things change you can ride the wave and that technology and cultural change create an environment where creativity gives rise to that innovation. But we already knew that, didn't we.........?

Schleich Velociraptor Action Figure (Green)
Schleich Velociraptor Action Figure (Green)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy for kids., 10 Nov. 2014
My kids love this dinosaur. Recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4