Profile for MillieMoon > Reviews

Content by MillieMoon

MillieMoon "Purple Pagan" (U.K)

Mighty Bright Mini Super LED Booklight - Blue
Mighty Bright Mini Super LED Booklight - Blue
Offered by Pizzazz

3.0 out of 5 stars and this one is far better in that respect, 21 Nov. 2015
Tricky one this......the light itself works very well for illuminating the page, but unfortunately, the pivot point on the neck fell apart after about a weeks use. The company I bought mine from, have said the problem with the neck is very common, so I've decided to accept a replacement, and fix the head in place somehow. I've tried a few other book lights, which seem to eat batteries, and this one is far better in that respect. But on the down side, it makes it too heavy and bulky for paperbacks. My search continues.......

The Icing on the Cake: Your Ultimate Step-by-Step Guide to Decorating Baked Treats
by Juliet Stallwood

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab book...but check cake recipe quantities, 20 Feb. 2014
Overall, I'm really enjoying this book. It has a lot going for it for both beginners and more experienced cake decorators, with well explained ideas.....but
unless I'm missing something, the quantities for the cupcake recipes seem a bit adrift.

By this I mean that the book gives 50g of flour/butter/sugar + eggs etc to make 6 cupcakes, but on the same chart, goes on to say that 200g of the same ingredients will make 12 cupcakes.

I'm not saying that would make me not buy this book at all, just something to be aware of, as it's easy to substitute any cupcake recipe you already use and know. The proportions are right though, so I may have just missed something :)

The Camper Van Cookbook: Life on 4 wheels, Cooking on 2 rings
The Camper Van Cookbook: Life on 4 wheels, Cooking on 2 rings
by Martin Dorey Copywriter

4.0 out of 5 stars Vantastic :0), 11 July 2010
Couldn't wait to get my hands on this, and have enjoyed it enormously. I do own a VW camper, same as Martin's and loads of this made me laugh out loud, especially the bit about waving (or not!). Just wish I could escape in mine more :0(

I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys cooking as the recipes could easily be done at home, so you don't have to be out and about, but it adds another dimension.

The previous reviews are all spot on, but I've knocked a star off for two reasons :-

I had hoped to see a picture of Pootle on the front :0(....VW didn't only make splits and newer vans are cool too :0)

The recipes are really good, but unless you shopped daily (not always possible),they are not always do-able from tins and packets with limited supply of fresh ingredients and a very small fridge. I rarely cook convenience food at home, and try hard to do local, seasonal and organic were possible, so I understand Sarah's take on this. But personally, I would find it difficult to carry enough fresh food to do three meals a day from scratch for me and my family for more than a weekend. Maybe I'll just introduce one/two a day. Also, some of the fresh ingredients required would leave you with a lot left over if you had to buy a box/bunch or what ever, which can be difficult to store afterwards and possibly wasteful. Yes I have tried giving it away, but don't always have takers.

Neither of the above comments should put anyone off buying what is a brilliant book, packed with advise on enjoying life outdoors responsibly, with or without a Camper, including some absolutely barmy festivals I've got to try...bring on TedFest!!! :0)

Cuisinart Ice Cream Bucket
Cuisinart Ice Cream Bucket

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic bit of kit, 20 Oct. 2007
My husband and two son's are huge Ben & Jerry's fans, but it was costing a bomb to keep buying it. I came across the Ben & Jerry's book on E-bay and bought it thinking I could save money. At first I was convinced I didn't need an ice cream maker, just take the mixture out the freezer and stir often...wrong! I used to have a Magimix ice cream maker, but was unimpressed. The bowl didn't stay frozen for long enough to make anything more than an ice cream slushy, you couldn't add bits like choc chips with out it jumping all over the work top,the amount you could make was very small and the non-stick interior flaked :0( As you can imagine I was reluctant to buy another one...but I'm soooo glad I did.
This is supurb :0)
This will make a decent amount with a consistancy like Mr Whippy in about 20-35 mins. The Ben & Jerry's quantity (1 qrt approx 2 ltrs) will have to be done in two batches, but the bowl stays frozen long enough to do this back to back. If you have a tea cosy, pop the bowl into it while you decant the first batch into a container. It will stop it thawing out while you do it and help you keep a grip on the bowl at the same time. I chill the 2nd half of the mixture in the freezer while doing the first..all helps. It can't deal with any additions like chunks of fudge brownie while mixing, but it's easy enough to stir them through when made.

So far I've made:-

Vanilla with choc chip cookies
Banana with white choc chunks
Coffee
Mint Oreo
Vanilla fudge brownie

and am about to make Stawberry with marshmallow swirls (youngest sons request)

I can make about 4 times the amount for the same cost as 1 500ml tub of Ben & Jerry's

A bit bulky to store, but I'd make room for it any day :0)

Philips HR1861 Whole Fruit Juicer - Aluminium
Philips HR1861 Whole Fruit Juicer - Aluminium

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth making space in you kitchen for!, 28 Dec. 2006
You cannot begin to imagine how pleased I am with this juicer.
It only takes up slightly more room than a kettle & is just as useful. Quite a heavy bit of kit as you would expect from something of this quality. Very easy to take apart & clean even for my mum who has arthritis in her hands. I tend to make a large batch of something, i.e a jug full, every couple of days at most. (Gets drunk very quickly). A quick rinse off of all the bits in cold water, then into the dishwasher....no problem.
I can honestly say that as a working mum of two teenage sons, if I had to peel & chop stuff before juicing them, I would have never got round to useing it.
Talking of son's, both mine take after their father as picky eaters. Fruit & especially veg was almost a none starter. Useing this, I have been able to get all sorts into them that they wouldn't concider if it was on a plate.My husband even drunk apple & carrot juice!!..amazing.

My local market sells off quite a bit of fruit & veg at the end of the day making it very cost effective & reduced fruit & veg at the supermarket can be a good buy. Thing I used to throw away like wrinkled apples now get juiced, saving money. In fact this machine is so simple & efficent, both my son's have been known to use it.

You can't get a better indorsment than that!

Nearly a year on, I can still say it's going strong. A teaspoon to leaver out the filter helps sometimes, also if you are juicing a lot of apples in one go, clean the filter after the first jug full. The reason for this is that the juice starts to turn slightly thick and cloudy as the filter gets clogged. I use it so much now that I have an organic box delivery of 5kgs of juicing apples each week plus other fruit from my parent in law's orchard. Bought the matching blender, which has a tube type filter that I don't really use, but I can now make all sorts of smoothies as well as juices. Still recommended very highly.

Three years on and still in almost daily use... could do with a new filter though (note to self)