Profile for J. Woods > Reviews

Content by J. Woods

J. Woods "Bishybarnabee" (Norfolk, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Turning Point: A gripping love story, keep the tissues close...
The Turning Point: A gripping love story, keep the tissues close...

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another fantastic book from a fantastic writer, 15 Jun. 2015
I'm very fortunate to live and work in beautiful North Norfolk in the area where a lot of this book is based, so I could easily visualise the characters walking down the street in Wells, eating fish 'n' chips, strolling though the woods at Holkham, running along the never-ending beach, looking up to the vast big blue Norfolk skies, popping into Howells in Binham, having a haircut at Six Apple Yard at Creak Abbey and, of course, driving around the narrow roads! However, I've never been to British Columbia, and yet I could just as clearly see every scene there too because Freya North's writing is so very visual and she has clearly done her research thoroughly.

I read the first half of the book in short stints, but then consumed the rest on the train from King's Lynn to London and back again (quite apt really, considering Frankie uses the same line!). I won't go into any detail, as I wouldn't want to spoil the story for anyone else, but suffice to say that I laughed and I cried, and at one point I got rather cross with Freya for writing a certain section into the latter part of the story - you'll know it when you read it! I felt as though I knew each character individually and developed a deep respect for them all.

Don't hesitate to buy this book - it's fantastic!

Difficult Husbands: A Christmas tale of family, friends and new beginnings
Difficult Husbands: A Christmas tale of family, friends and new beginnings

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story. Numerous grammatical and spelling errors!, 19 Dec. 2014
If you can get past all the grammatical and spelling errors (bought/brought was my biggest bugbear!) (Kindle edition) then it's a really good, easy read.

White 5mm Balloon Curling Ribbon
White 5mm Balloon Curling Ribbon
Offered by Ed's Party Pieces

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 19 Dec. 2014
Does what it says on the tin! Great price for great quantity of great ribbon.

VQ (Formerly View Quest) Retro Mini Digital Radio (DAB/DAB+/FM) and Bluetooth Speaker - Teal

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!, 19 Dec. 2014
LOVE IT! Arrived next day with Amazon Prime and was well packaged. It's a really neat little radio at a great price. The sound quality is perfectly good enough for the small room I have it in, though I imagine it might loose some quality if you really needed to turn the volume up. The teal colour I've purchased looks great, and I love that there are loads of other colour choices available. The features all seem to work very well - I've been listening to Christmas songs through Spotify on my phone via Bluetooth, which was super-easy to connect! It's really lightweight, so will be good as a portable radio too. Highly recommend this.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2015 10:56 AM BST

Colorsport 30 Day Mascara Dark Brown
Colorsport 30 Day Mascara Dark Brown

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT as described and NOT the old formula., 12 Jan. 2014
Unfortunately this listing is incorrect.

The item I received is very different from what's listed, both in the contents and the description/method of use.

I am aware that the formula has recently changed - and not for the better - so I was pleased to see this listing for the old formula. This listing description, method and contents states: "Mix Dye Cream with Developer Liquid as per the instruction leaflet enclosed within the box. Apply mixture to lashes with application wand and leave for 10 minutes. Cleanse eyelashes. The Colorsport 30 Day Mascara easy to use kit contains: 1 Mixing Cup and 1 Application Wand, 1 Tube of Dye Cream 6.67g, 1 Bottle of Developer Liquid 10ml. Kit contains enough for up to 16 applications - a year's supply"

However, what I've received is the new "Improved & Faster Formula". The contents are different: "1 bottle of Eyelash Colour Solution 5ml. 1 Tue of Eyelash Colour Gel 5ml. Eye Protection Papers. 1 Lash Brush" and the kit contains up to 12 applications. Clean your eyelashes thoroughly with a non-oily cleanser in order to remove any make-up and natural oils. Before dyeing, apply a small amount of thick skin cream or petroleum jelly under the eyes, carefully avoiding the lashes, in order to keep the eye protection papers in place and keep the dye off the skin. DO NOT MIX the Eyelash Colour Solution and the Eyelash Colour Gel. Dip the tip of a cotton bud into the Eyelash Colour Solution 1 and apply several coats onto the eyelashes, so that they are soaked through. Leave on for 1 minute WITHOUT RINSING OFF. Apply about 1 cm of Eyelash Colour Gel 2 onto the provided eyelash brush, working it into the bristles. Then brush through the lashes. Wait for 1 minute, then rinse off with some shampoo or soap or with wet cotton pads.

It's a terrible formula that doesn't work even half as well as the old formula that is listed here for sale.

I have found it absolutely impossible to use on my eyelashes, despite several attempts. Firstly, the eye protection paper is the wrong shape, but even when cut to a better shape it still does not stick in place with any cream or with petroleum gel (I cleansed my skin first to remove any oils). The paper is too thick and stiff and therefore lifts and gets in the way. I've tried dyeing my lashes without the paper, but the 'several coats of Colour Solution' runs straight into my eyes, even when shut, and causes major stinging and irritation. Even when I've managed to endure the stinging, and left it on my lashes for the requisite 1 minute, then brushed through with the Colour Gel, there was no difference to the colour of my lashes whatsoever. It claims to be an easier application and take less than 2-3 minutes, but I dispute that strongly.

On my eyebrows, it's okay, but far from great. I'm still working out how long it takes to have effect (I of course appreciate that it's trial and error, and that everyone's lashes and brows are different.) I don't want my eyebrows to be too dark as they'd look silly against my fair skin, so I'm naturally being cautious with it. The first time I left the Colour Solution on for 30 seconds (it says to use for a shorter time than lashes @ 1 min) but it had no result whatsoever. I've been increasing the time each time I use it and the last time I left it on for 2 mins, but still it's not enough. Further, despite following the instructions and applying several coats of Colour Solution, leaving, then brushing through with the Colour Gel, it still misses bits and I end up with gaps in the colour. This has happened each time I've used it.

All in all, in my opinion, it absolutely hopeless.

I've contacted the seller and I'm waiting for a response.

.... Just popping back to add that the seller was very helpful and was happy for me to return the item to them for a full refund.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2014 10:53 AM GMT

Multi Stem Orla Kiely Folio Thin Shell Case for Samsung Galaxy S3 (fits i9300/i9308/i939)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good item, though 'sticky'. Comes from China so a couple of weeks delivery., 19 Nov. 2013
Prompt communication and helpful seller. Item as described. The version I ordered, after speaking with the seller, has rubber edges which provide good protection around the sides of the phone, and the back is slightly padded back where the design is. Slight niggles: Since adding the cover, the buttons on the sides of the phone are now super-sensitive and I'm forever turning the volume up and down without realising it. It 'sticks' to everything! It's not sticky to touch like glue, but it sticks to shiny surfaces, including magazines, so be careful where you lay it down. The description doesn't state clearly that it comes from China and that you will have to wait a couple of weeks for it to arrive. Good product though and worth the money.

Tech Armor Premium High Definition Clear Screen Protectors with Lifetime Replacement Warranty for Samsung Galaxy S3 (Pack of 3)
Offered by Tech Armor UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 14 Nov. 2013
First time I've used a screen protector, but this seems very good. The first attempt was disastrous and ended up with air bubbles, so you have to be very careful. Luckily there are three in the pack and the second application was successful. I've had it on my phone for a couple of weeks now and it seems to be doing a good job. It's perhaps a bit more 'smeary' than the phone's screen, but it's easily wiped clean so not a problem. A good product - would recommend these.
Seller is VERY keen to receive a review - I've had several requests via Amazon email, which is a bit annoying as I was simply waiting until it had been on my phone a while before I reviewed it.

Fly London Frances, Women's Ballet Flats
Fly London Frances, Women's Ballet Flats
Price: £43.16 - £69.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfy and stylish, great quality too., 5 Oct. 2012
After reading the other reviews about these shoes I ordered them in a 6 (my usual Fly size in shoes and boots) and a 7. It turned out for me that I didn't need to size up, as the 7s were too long. The 6s are pretty much spot on, however I have rather wide feet, so I had to wear them in a bit to stretch them, and while doing so suffered some blisters on my heels, but they're fine now. The quality is superb and the leather is lovely and soft. I got the purple ones and the only reason that I've knocked one star off is that they scuff quite easily and I have no idea where to buy purple leather shoe polish! They look lovely on and work well with jeans and with skirts/dresses - I'm rather tempted with a couple of other colours, but will have to save up my pennies!

Pattern
Pattern
by Orla Kiely

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 17 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Pattern (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic book. I bought it as a present to myself, but it would make a great gift for anyone who loves pattern and design. Orla Kiely's products have always tempted me - I love her retro take on things - and this book explains her history and thought process in a thorough but very easy to read and follow dialogue. The pictures are wonderful too! It's on my coffee table and even though I've read it from cover to cover, I still go back to it again and again.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 17 Dec. 2010
I love anything by Orla Kiely, so this was always going to please. The pattern's gorgeous and the quality seems good.
Must say though that it's a bit smaller than I was expecting (especially for £130).
Wasn't packaged very well - only a plastic bag around it - but luckily it arrived safely.

Page: 1 | 2