Profile for Yvette Brown > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
How to Fall in Love
How to Fall in Love

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Very Good, 19 July 2014
I am inclined to agree with the reviewer who wrote that Cecelia Ahern May well have been a one-hit wonder with' P.S I Love You'. This book wasn't complete rubbish but it wasn't particularly good either. I didn't really like Adam, and Christine just irritated me most of the time. This is not great when these are the characters you are supposed to be rooting for. And do passersby really stop to listen to lovers having a personal conversation on a bridge and butt in and coo periodically?Not this side of Hollywood movies they don't (or maybe that was written in the hope that Hollywood would indeed come calling) I have read a few of Ms Ahern' s books and none have been as good as 'P.S I Love You'. This was the worst of the ones I've read.

If Only in My Dreams
If Only in My Dreams

3.0 out of 5 stars A Cosy Read, 10 Feb 2014
This was a nice story. I did enjoy it although there is nothing original here and I do think it could have been better written. Ms Markham repeats herself.....a lot. If you read it once you read it a thousand times...'This must be a dream' 'It can't really be happening,can it?' It has to be a dream', a dream, a dream.......zzzzzzz. You get my point.

Readers are not fools. We get it. We don't have to be told what characters are thinking over and over again.

Having said that, if you like your romantic novels involving time travel and you have ever watched 'Heaven Can Wait' or 'Forever Young' (I pictured a young Mel Gibson as Jed Landry) and enjoyed those films, then you'll more than likely enjoy this book.

The Great Gatsby [DVD] [2013]
The Great Gatsby [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Leonardo DiCaprio

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good adaptation but....., 12 Dec 2013
I don't want to spoil it for those who have not yet seen this most recent adaptation of The Great Gatsby, but there are a couple of scenes missing that are in the book that I would really have liked to have seen in the film. I think they are poignant and it is irritating to see they were left out. It would not have made the that film much longer.
Visually the film is stunning, but I have to agree with some of the other reviewers who say that the film has a slightly cartoon-like feel to it, but we have to remember that this is a Baz Luhrman production, so it was bound to be over the top.
On the whole I really did enjoy it. It loses a star for the reasons I have stated, and I also can't help thinking that there is still an adaptation yet to be made that falls somewhere between the 1974 film and this most recent version.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Perks of Being a Wallflower

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, 19 Sep 2013
This book is just ok. It's written in the first person throughout, which I'm not personally keen on, as I think you don't always get to know other characters in depth. I haven't seen the film, but I think this may be one of those rare books that translates better on the screen.

Hidden Garden Forest
Hidden Garden Forest

4.0 out of 5 stars very relaxing, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: Hidden Garden Forest (App)
This is, of course, a very simple game. However I bought it mainly for the artworks, which are absolutely lovely and along with the music it is a rather nice way to unwind.

The French for Love
The French for Love

2.0 out of 5 stars Dry, 18 Aug 2013
This book was quite boring. I found I could leave it for days on end without caring if I finished it or not! I DID finish it, but it was every bit as predictable as I had imagined. As light, fluffy reads go, they don't get much lighter or fluffier than this.

The Light Between Oceans
The Light Between Oceans

5.0 out of 5 stars A deeply moving book, 11 Jun 2013
Have just finished reading this book, so my face is still wet from crying my eyes out! A beautifully written book. You sympathise with ALL the main characters (well, I did!), because the author really gives you insight into their deepest feelings. The ending could have concluded in a number of different scenarios. You really are guessing until quite near the end as to what will happen to the little girl. I think M L Stedman pitched it just right. A really great read, but have your tissues at the ready!

eLifeStore® Kindle Fire PU Leather Case Cover Multi-Function Flip Stand Wallet Book (NOT FOR HD), Bonus: Capacitive Stylus Pen + Screen Protector for Amazon Kindle Fire 7 inch LCD Display Wi-Fi 8GB Android Tablet - 2011 Model, NOT for HD (Purple)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Product, 4 April 2013
This is a real value for money. I love the way you can stand the wallet up if you want to watch something. Well worth £9.99!

The Sleeping Truth : A Romantic Medical Thriller (Omnibus Edition containing both Book One and Book Two)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Thoroughly Good Read, 1 April 2013
I chose this book because I have just read 'London 2012 What If?' and was keen to read another book by the same author. I must admit that I found it waffles on a bit in parts, but this doesn't really matter, because it's s good story and keeps you interested. I don't want to give too much away, as I don't want to spoil it for other readers, but there were moments when I wondered if Andrew deserved to be with the love of his life, when he'd clearly hurt a number of women along the way. But DOES he get her, or is it all too late?

The fact that this is really an insight into one man's psychological issues stemming from something that happened to him in childhood is not immediately obvious. Once again, I found the cover illustration a bit dry looking, and I doubt I would have purchased this book under it's ,apparently, original title 'Marrying Slovakia'. Also, I hesitated between giving 3 or 4 stars, because I enjoyed 'London 2012 What If?' slightly more

than this, but also gave that 4 stars, so if I were being picky there's probably half a star to give or take between these books.

London 2012 : What If ? ( A Romantic Time Travel Thriller ) (Omnibus Edition containing Book One and Book Two)

4.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT!, 30 Mar 2013
I absolutely loved this book, but almost didn't download it because I thought it was about the Olympics! I also thought the cover looked quite boring; so this is a typical case of "Don't judge a book by it's cover". This is a book for all those who have enjoyed any of the following films: The Family Man, Back To The Future, Big, Peggy Sue Got Married, Sliding Doors. Of course, this tells you that it's not exactly an original idea (the only reason,incidentally,for giving 4 stars and not 5)that Ian C.P Irvine has come up with- it's all been done before-
but so what? It's well written and just a cracking read. Enjoy!

Page: 1 | 2