Profile for Veronika Bernstein > Reviews

Content by Veronika Bernstein

Veronika Bernstein "keen reader" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Middlesteins
The Middlesteins
Price: 2.05

4.0 out of 5 stars Jewish family story, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Middlesteins (Kindle Edition)
A perceptive look at a disfunctional family in contemporary USA. I found the break up of a long marriage and the unhappiness of all family members very sad.

DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Florence & Tuscany
DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Florence & Tuscany
by Christopher Catling
Price: 9.79

5.0 out of 5 stars a spring visit, 24 Mar 2014
having just returned from our break in Florence our visit would have been much less satisfying without this excellent and simple to use guide.

Lights on Dark Water
Lights on Dark Water
Price: 3.64

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good read, 9 Nov 2013
This is a story of two women coping after unexpectedly losing their men. However, for me the most interesting thread went through the staff room. Can children really be taught life skills be such an awful bunch of spineless, weak, manipulated and frightened people? Can one frustrated, unhappy, machiavellian staff member plot against the colleagues, make their life a misery and get away with it for such a long time? I couldn't put the book down. It read like a thriller. Lots to discuss.

I Am Forbidden
I Am Forbidden
Price: 3.59

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: I Am Forbidden (Kindle Edition)
If you are Jewish and secular then it confirms for you why you dont want to be orthodox.
the underlining stoy of the origins of the Satmars in USA is very interesting.

There but for the
There but for the
Price: 3.95

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: There but for the (Kindle Edition)
No story. Some funny lines, here and there, if you blink, you miss it. It made me feel very stupid as I couldnt get into it. We read it in our book club. Only one person realy liked this book.

The Expats
The Expats
Price: 4.19

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent holiday read, 17 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Expats (Kindle Edition)
I liked this book because of its twists and turns. I didn't want to put it down. The professional and personal relationships kept me guessing to the very end. I liked the main character as she wasn't painted in black or white. She thought that she had the upper hand.... I recommended this book to others.

The Innocents
The Innocents
Price: 3.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Life in a close community?, 17 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Innocents (Kindle Edition)
Well observed and witty reflection on life in Nort-West London secular Jewish community. Support and obligations of community members are well characterised, as are the relationships and commitments between family members. This is how it is. It made me chuckle in places. I have recommended this book to others.

Brothers and Lovers
Brothers and Lovers

1.0 out of 5 stars is it a novel or an autobiogtraphy?, 17 Feb 2013
The way the book is constructed is more like an autobiography than a novel and it is written in a very amateurish style. The author appears to be a smug, pompous, selfish man, without an ounce of humility or self-criticism, or regrets or an ability to laugh at himself, or empathy with others. He sees himself as a very succesful dentist and a brilliant skier. Oh, and an irresistibly sexy man and lover, with endless descriptions of these encounters (in Africa, on the ship, in London, back in Africa) in a very unimaginative boring style. If it is a novel then he should have developed other characters as well, not just himself.

The point that I found interesting was the description of racist prejudice of Afrikaaners towards the Jews and the mistrust of Jews towards Afrikaaners.

I wouldn't recommend this book as I was irritated most of the time by its style . I finished it because i hoped for some change in his character as he matured, but none happened. He is very lucky to have found a publisher!!!!

Thursdays in the Park
Thursdays in the Park
Price: 0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars An unrealistic fantasy, 19 Jan 2013
I chose this book because I read an article about the autor in the Times and because it cost 20p. I was very dissapointed by a total lack of realism, by all the loose ends being tied up very neatly, by its happy endings for all concerned. A patronising fairy tale for adults .....

Cutting For Stone
Cutting For Stone
by Abraham Verghese
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Missing hospital in Ethiopia, 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: Cutting For Stone (Paperback)
If you love medical soaps and you love Africa then this is a book for you. A story of love between adults, siblings, parents and children peppered with fascinating medical stories and the development of Ethiopia this is a saga that will have you gripped with its beautiful description and style.

Page: 1 | 2