Profile for Martin Barrett > Reviews

Martin Barrett (Australia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Mendini 1/4MV200+SR Size 1/4 Acoustic Violin - Varnish
Mendini 1/4MV200+SR Size 1/4 Acoustic Violin - Varnish

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain Quality Beginner's Violin - Appears Excellent to the Talentless Layman, 10 July 2015
First of all, I am not a musician. That's my wife's department. What I am is the member of the family who identifies a need and fulfils it. This mission was no different - find a first violin for a six year old that her mother can teach her to play while not spending a huge amount. Stradivarii were definitely not on the menu.

I did a bit of Amazon research and read a lot of reviews. Most of them seemed to say that reasonably priced violins available on Amazon were of a quality unsuitable for an international soloist.

I continued, and found this violin. It was only £34 and change, significantly cheaper than even its same-brand stablemates in different colours, though I notice that since my order it has more than doubled in price.

As a non-musician, I am very impressed. It looks the part. It came fully assembled (this whole bridge business rather terrifies me) and all the bits and pieces a budding Paganini needs are included. The bow seems robust, and the carry case is perfect. After a little tuning it worked well enough, and progress is already being made. I am very pleased with my purchase. And don't tell anyone, but I would probably have been almost as pleased at the current price.

Lost in Oz - Season 1
Lost in Oz - Season 1
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Jun. 2015
The children (girls four and six) loved it and were disappointed there was only one episode.

Performance Percussion PP1005 Art in Sound Bangetta Bongo
Performance Percussion PP1005 Art in Sound Bangetta Bongo

1.0 out of 5 stars because otherwise it's perfect., 27 Jun. 2015
Lasted less than 24 hours with a four year old before developing a one inch tear in one of the skins. She didn't hit it with anything but the supplied drumsticks. It's a shame, because otherwise it's perfect.

The Girl With All The Gifts
The Girl With All The Gifts

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and Different, 10 Feb. 2015
A dystopian-set human story that raises the bar for the genre and has universal appeal. That's as much as I can share without spoilers, so just read it.

OXO Good Grips Silicone Flexible Turner, Large
OXO Good Grips Silicone Flexible Turner, Large

3.0 out of 5 stars Why Spoil a Good Tool by Being Cheap?, 6 April 2014
The turning part of this tool is fine. I bought it because of silicone's heat resistance and it works admirably. The problem is the handle. This is made of a cheap and nasty and decidedly not heat resistant plastic. The result is that when it rested against the side of the pan for a nanosecond, it melted a great groove across the handle, and this has been repeated almost every time I have used it. Had they made the handle out of the same stuff as the business-end, it would have been perfect.

Gerber Bear Grylls Fire Starter Ferrocerium Rod and Metal Striker - Black
Gerber Bear Grylls Fire Starter Ferrocerium Rod and Metal Striker - Black
Offered by RBTE INC

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last I Am A Real Man!, 7 July 2013
What a great little piece of kit. I will probably never need it, but I find it deeply reassuring that in the event of a zombie apocalypse or similar event I now have the equipment to briefly make fire independent of civilisation's complex infrastructure. I say briefly because although an excellent fire-starter it seems to have limited scope as a weapon, unless the attackers are scarecrows in the depths of summer I suppose.

Buy one, and feel complete.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2013 7:08 AM GMT

X-Mini II 2nd Generation Capsule Speaker with 3.5mm Jack Compatible with iPhone/iPad/iPod/Smartphones/Tablets/MP3 Player/Laptop - Black
Offered by Gadget_Juice

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Things Really Do Come In Small Packages, 7 July 2013
Until I had one of these demonstrated to me by a friend I was massively sceptical. How could you possibly get a good sound out of anything so small and light? When I finally heard it for myself I was amazed and ordered one straight away.

Okay, so it's not going to make you throw out your 1000W home theatre system, but it does make your phone-borne music truly portable. I take mine to work on lates and weekends when there are few others around and enjoy a rich sound that is as loud - and louder - than it needs to be.

For the price it's brilliant. There are also nice little touches like recharging through your USB port and providing an extra cable and a little carry bag. Buy one.

World War Z
World War Z

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, 7 July 2013
This review is from: World War Z (Kindle Edition)
I bought this out of curiosity, having seen the advance publicity for the movie of the same name, and having read that the story was told through a series of interviews done long after the described events I was ready to hate it. In fact, I was sure I would.

In fact, the device worked brilliantly. As I read there was something vaguely familiar (in the non-plagiaristic sense) about the feel of the book and it was only towards the end that I realised what it was - it reads like an excellent military history done using the testimony of those who were actually there, as done brilliantly by Cornelius Ryan (The Longest Day, A Bridge Too Far etc.).

The result was a thrilling page-turner which, oddly, gave the reader a much more immediate feel for the events described than something written in the first person and the present tense.

I haven't seen the film yet, and wonder whether they will have preserved the interview method on the screen. The book is certainly an excellent read and I highly recommend it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed, 7 July 2013
Other than one of the earlier Kindles, I have not owned a tablet before. I did a bit of research and chose this based on a wide range of reviews and am not disappointed. It works brilliantly, both for adult needs and our demanding two and four year old. It meshes seamlessly with my Android phone and Google account and the display is excellent. I was worried about the lack of an SD card port, but so far I have barely touched the available 32Gb.

Battery life is as advertised. It's a little heavy, but I it's either that or be flimsy and easily broken. Display is excellent, and I cannot imagine any theoretically higher resolution being apparent on a seven inch screen. There is no appreciable delay in loading anything, which indicates to me that the processor/operation system combination is working well and perfectly adequate.

Overall I am very pleased with it.

Amzer Silicone Skin Jelly Case Cover for Asus/Google Nexus 7 Tablet - Black
Amzer Silicone Skin Jelly Case Cover for Asus/Google Nexus 7 Tablet - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 July 2013
I am using this on a Google Nexus 7 and I can't fault it. It's perfect, and has so far protected the tablet completely from the worst a two year old and four year old can throw at it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8