Profile for Saralexis > Reviews

Saralexis (N. Ireland)

Humble by Nature
Humble by Nature

4.0 out of 5 stars sweet, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Humble by Nature (Kindle Edition)
A very nice book, one which is perfect for a cold day, a sleepy dog and a fire to sit by

14 Days to a Well-Behaved Dog
14 Days to a Well-Behaved Dog

4.0 out of 5 stars good, remember the well behaved dog will take ongoing work, 28 Feb 2014
Clear and good advice, I'm not sure any dog will be confident in all the commands by the end of two weeks but it's a great start.

MONSTERS I KNOW (STUFF I KNOW COLLECTION / Ages 7 to 9  (Rhyming Children Bedtime Short Stories)
MONSTERS I KNOW (STUFF I KNOW COLLECTION / Ages 7 to 9 (Rhyming Children Bedtime Short Stories)

1.0 out of 5 stars Almost impossible to read aloud, 29 Dec 2013
I thought this might be fun, and to be fair it is cheap, but the poems don't scan at all- not fun to try to read out loud.

Huge 1m Long Deluxe Plastic Snow Sledge Toboggan RED
Huge 1m Long Deluxe Plastic Snow Sledge Toboggan RED

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 22 Dec 2010
Price is good, sledge is sturdy (has taken the weight of my 6ft4 husband plus a child!) and works well. We're going to buy another so two people can have a go at a time.

My First Book of Mazes (Kumon Workbooks)
My First Book of Mazes (Kumon Workbooks)
by Kumon

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 1 July 2009
This is a great book. My four year old is systematically working his way through every maze and loving it.

There is a maze on each page, each one is different and they come in a variety of formats. Some look like maps, some like celtic knots and so on.

They are all beautifully designed and the book as a whole has a nice feel, with thick paper and good quality print.

French is Fun with Serge, the Cheeky Monkey! (Salut Serge)
French is Fun with Serge, the Cheeky Monkey! (Salut Serge)
by Sue Finnie

5.0 out of 5 stars A huge hit in this house, 1 July 2009
My children (2 and 4) love this. We sing the songs all day and they sit down of their own accord and follow along with the cd in the books.

My 2 year old asked today to play 'cache cache'. Which was sweet!

Each episode on the DVD has three parts - a rather dated cgi cartoon featuring a 'cheeky' monkey and a very uptight parrot - who is nonetheless surprisingly relaxed about having an uninvited monkey living with her. There is always a song in this section.

Then there is a line-drawn animation about FC Coco - a five-a-side football team of animals who face a series of problems.

Finally, and least popular here, is 'Serge' going to France to see live-action film of French children. I find this bit charming, but my kids aren't so keen.

The CD uses the same stories and songs but in a slightly different format, so you are approaching the same vocabulary from several angles. There are also games and puzzles in conjunction with the book.

I couldn't recommend it more highly.

Stick Man
Stick Man
by Julia Donaldson

1.0 out of 5 stars Milking the bandwagon..., 29 May 2009
This review is from: Stick Man (Hardcover)
... if it is possible to milk a bandwagon!

I can't stand this book... I liked the Gruffalo, The Smartest Giant etc were OK - but 'Stick Man' is really someone who is out of ideas.

The whole book is an extended pun on 'family tree', the plot is astonishingly weak, and the introduction of Father Christmas at the end smacks of desperation.

I have to say, in fairness, that my children like it well enough - but, though I'll keep some books I hate because they love them, this one was just too awful to put up with for their sake.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2012 10:15 PM GMT

The Wheels on the Bus: Fun on the Bus
The Wheels on the Bus: Fun on the Bus
by Jane Massey

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely books, 15 April 2007
Deceptively simple. There is so much to discuss in this set of books, my little boy loves them. The stories are clear and easy to relate to, but just look at all the things going on in the background - people running for the bus, getting hair-cuts, driving cars.

It's nice to see the diferent family members doing things together - and from a slightly geeky babywearing perspective I note that there are quite a few babies in slings which is nice to see too. I also like that the action tends to happen on public transport and in traditional shops - rather than in supermarkets and cars.

Guitar
Guitar

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value - much loved, 25 Mar 2007
This review is from: Guitar (Toy)
I bought this for my son who is nearly two - he loves it more than anything else in the world! The quality is good and the sound is not unpleasant - all things considered! This is a toy rather than a real playable guitar but it does let a child get an idea of how to hold the instrument, how to change the note and obviously lets them imagine great things!

If I was to quibble I would say that it could be improved by threading the strings individually (rather than in pairs) as whatever tuning you manage is quickly lost. Also a strap for carrying would be handy as my son currently opts for carrying it by the strings!