Profile for Mandy Boat > Reviews

Heroic
Heroic
by Phil Earle

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - what a journey - an amazing read!, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Heroic (Paperback)
Wow! This book is a sucker punch in the stomach of emotions! I was in tears many times throughout the book - Phil Earle writes with real sensitivity about hard core issues - and yet i couldn't stop turning the pages. The characters are all loveable rogues - you can't help but care and root for them all to come good in the end. Heroic makes you think hard about what it means to love and care for your siblings and friends - and what real friendship really means. It also made me think about places in my neighbourhood that I usually just trundle past on the bus without a glance. Great book!

PS for fans of Phil Earle's previous books - run out and buy this - you won't be disappointed!

Lost Cat: A True Story of Love, Desperation, and GPS Technology
Lost Cat: A True Story of Love, Desperation, and GPS Technology
by Caroline Paul

5.0 out of 5 stars I love cats, I love this book, 28 Mar. 2013
Whats not to love about this - loads of cute picture of cats, a hilarious story - and its all true!! If you love cats and want to find out their darkest secrets then this is the book for you!

Restless: TV tie-in
Restless: TV tie-in
by William Boyd

4.0 out of 5 stars I am restlss for more!!!, 13 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Restless: TV tie-in (Paperback)
Such a gripping noel - and I can't wait to see the Tv at christmas - apparently some of the Downton crew are in ti - excellent!! More books please William Boyd!

A Christmas Carol (Bloomsbury Classic Series)
A Christmas Carol (Bloomsbury Classic Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful festive experience, 9 Dec. 2011
This book is such a charming mix of the old and the new and totally embodies the spirit of Christmas! I bought this not quite knowing what to expect as am new to ebooks and thought it was great. Really love to hear Dickens's great grand daughter tell us the family history of this story -puts this great classic story into context, And it supports the samaritans - what a wondeful charity and makes me feel like I've done my bit!

River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

5.0 out of 5 stars I cooked my bookclub a meal from this book last night! Rave reviews!, 9 Sept. 2011
This book is great! Firstly the design throughout is beautiful. However more importantly (in my mind) are the recipes! I cooked my bookclub a meal from this book last night (one is a vegetarian) and it went down a treat! Firstly the beetroot and walnut hummus - so easy to make. I thought I'd have some left over for the weekend - no chance! I followed this with honey roasted cherry tomatoes - delicious. The main course was the squash and fennel lasagne - I have always sturggled with vegetarian lasagnes in the past but this was bursting with flavour and again really easy to do!
A really user friendly, beautiful book that I will be recommending to everyone!

The White Queen
The White Queen
by Philippa Gregory

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating & intriguing - the perfect indulgent read!, 19 Aug. 2009
This review is from: The White Queen (Hardcover)
Having already read The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory I had pretty high standards but am thrilled to say that The White Queen was even better!

Set in a period of history that I don't know a huge amount, The White Queen brings it all to life and it doesn't matter at all whether you know who's who or not. Its love, lust, battles, scheming, plotting, mystery, back stabbing - the perfect indulgent read that you can fully immerse yourself in and kick back and relax.

Half of a Yellow Sun
Half of a Yellow Sun
by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

5.0 out of 5 stars A must must must read!, 21 July 2009
This review is from: Half of a Yellow Sun (Paperback)
This book has everything you could ever want from a piece of fiction - an thoroughly interesting setting in a period/country i knew very little about. Yet it brings it to life with very real charcaters and believable relationships. Twists and turns a plenty makes this a truly fantastic book and one I would (and have been) recommend to anyone who enjoys a good piece of fiction!

Revolutionary Road (Vintage Classics)
Revolutionary Road (Vintage Classics)
by Richard Yates

4.0 out of 5 stars Scary how much it gets into your mind!!, 21 July 2009
WE did this book for my book club and it was one of the most debated books we've covered this year. It really gets you analysing relationships - sometimes not in a good way... but nonetheless if a book can get into your mind in this way then its def worth a read! Its a slow start but stick with it and you won't be able to put it down!

Still Alice
Still Alice
by Lisa Genova

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing I have read this year - 5 STARS without a doubt, 21 April 2009
This review is from: Still Alice (Paperback)
Having read the other 2 reviews on this book I felt compelled to voice my own opinion. I have to disagree with the previous reviewer and say that STILL ALICE really is as good as it sounds. It deals with the topic of Alzheimers and whether you have experienced this first/second hand in your life or not, I find it hard to believe that you won't be moved by this tale.

You follow Alice through her descent into the depth of dementia and see how it affects her life and those closest to her. Without going into too much techinical detail it helps the reader understand the cruelty of this disease. The author could have gone down the schmaltzy overly-emotional route but didn't. The outcome is an incredibly emotional read that you'll find very hard to put down.

I have already recommended this book to many friends and they have all come back raving about it. 5 STARS without a doubt - the best thing I have read this year.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 30, 2009 10:35 PM GMT

The Secret Speech
The Secret Speech
by Tom Rob Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars GRIPPING !!, 5 Mar. 2009
This review is from: The Secret Speech (Hardcover)
I read Child 44 and loved it so had high expectations for The Secret Speech and am pleased to say it didn't let me down - I was hooked from the start. It's set in Russia and you follow Leo, the main character, who used to work for the KGB but is trying to undo the mistakes of his past.

You are immediately drawn to Leo as a flawed and very believable man who is trying to protect his family. One of the things I really liked was how it transported you back to the Russia of that time - you really get a sense of the history that is going on around the plot.

Its a complete page turner - I really was hooked from the start and couldn't put it down. The author has a great way of putting these really tense cliff hangers at the end of each chapter - gimicky I know - but it works for a very enjoyable, interesting, thrilling read!