Profile for Mr. G. Lee > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Overnight Angels
Overnight Angels

4.0 out of 5 stars Land Ahoy..., 30 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Overnight Angels (Audio CD)
With the installation of Ian Hunter in the USA and Mick Ronson tied up with Mainman and "Slaughter on tenth Avenue" Mr 'Unta proceeded to re-write the rule book about how you follow up on the commercial success of your first solo effort by producing an album of songs that came straight from the heart to the studio rather than via his head, the result although a commercial disapointment, is one of the most honest,undisciplined and charming landmarks of English Rock, Everysong will be remembered, every lyric will please or sadden, and with the possible exception of "Wasted youth" all of the songs herein will pleasantly surprise even the most anti Hunter critics.
Comparisons of this album have been made with Bowie, Dylan and Stings work (The previous because of their history; with Dylan hear the track "God"; and the latter because of his own early jazz orientated solo efforts), but for me the lush production on the title track and also on "you nearly did me in" (featuring the chaps from Queen), and the bare, empty disgust of "rape" and the sad melancholy of "letter" leave me in no doubt that Ian Hunter is a songsmith of great depth and feeling and he can be prouder of this album than some "Rock stars" can be of their entire back Catalogues...

The Wicker Tree [DVD] [2010]
The Wicker Tree [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Christopher Lee

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful..., 4 May 2012
This review is from: The Wicker Tree [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I loved the Wicker man, I love Christopher Lee, but this is not a good film and Christopher Lee's appearance is small and slightly fake in it's inclusion. I wish I could say this is a worthy follow up but it is not, it's too slow, some of the acting is dreadful and the conclusion is desperately poor and predictable. I liked the Laird chappie he looks and sounds like Patrick Stewarts nutty younger brother and some of the photography is beautiful but I was sorely disappointed in this film.

The Call Of Cthulhu (Unabridged Fiction) (Naxos Complete Classics)
The Call Of Cthulhu (Unabridged Fiction) (Naxos Complete Classics)
by S. T. Joshi
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars This is just..., 15 Mar. 2012
Wonderful, If you're an aficionado of HPL's or a newcomer to his works then this will fulfil either in an audiobook form. Those who have never read any of his stories will find these recordings a marvellous way to get to know him and those of us who are more familiar will be able to just sit back and enjoy what is a superb and atmospheric reading of some of HPL's grandest works. More like this I think!

Duronic PLB2820 Cantilever 15" 17" 19" 20" 22" 24" LCD Monitor TV Arm Bracket Wall Mount with Swivel and Tilt
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch, 17 Jan. 2012
Bracket does exactly what I wanted it to do,easy to install (although you might need a hand with the connection of the actual screen), and not too fiddly all done in a half hour.

The Kraken Wakes (Classic Radio Sci-Fi)
The Kraken Wakes (Classic Radio Sci-Fi)
by John Wyndham
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant..., 3 Nov. 2011
Just brilliant, great for the commute or a long journey, made me go a re-read all the Wyndham books. Why isn't radio this good today I wonder?

The Brain That Wouldn't Die [DVD]
The Brain That Wouldn't Die [DVD]
Dvd ~ Herb Evers

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful..., 3 Nov. 2011
This really is rotten...I know I've only got myself to blame, I get the post ironic joke about it being so bad it was good but it's not it's just rotten, serves me right. It's been a long time since I felt so completely disapointed with a film so I'm off to watch plan 9 from outer space...Doh!

The Haunter of the Ring & Other Tales: And Other Tales (Tales of Mystery & The Supernatural)
by Robert E. Howard

4.0 out of 5 stars my wife keeps laughing..., 3 Nov. 2011
at the title of this book. So I gave it to her to read...she liked it but she's still laughing...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2014 12:19 PM GMT

It Had To Be You - The Great American Songbook
It Had To Be You - The Great American Songbook
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Worn out ol'sort, 3 Nov. 2011
You shouldn't take this as a review because I'm biased, first of all I bought this for my Mother in law 'cause she's a sweet woman who's been nothing but a postive influence in my life and secondly I never really liked Rod, although I didn't dislike him either, it's just that when i was getting into really good music in the 70's he was prancing around in leopard skin tights and generally singing "We are sailing" which means I did the dignified thing at the time which was dance to his records to impress girls I fancied but slag him off when I was with my mates. as it stands i'm happy enough to find RS still has a career in dragging his tired old vocal's across some old time showtunes and if it makes my Ma in law happy then where's the bloody harm in that? At least he's not amongst those washed up old has beens on strictly come dancing or whatever it's called and he's had more of a go than those desperately talentless twerps on X factor...Gawd save us from 'em!

Season Of The Witch [DVD]
Season Of The Witch [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nicolas Cage
Offered by FREETIME

4.0 out of 5 stars Not so Grim, 22 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Season Of The Witch [DVD] (DVD)
How unlucky can you be? You spend fifteen years in the Crusades and when you finally realise your being used to line the pockets of the Pope/king/whatever and quit then you're arrested for desertion and blackmailed into delivering a (pretty) Witch to some (far away) Monks in the hope of cleansing the land of "the Plague". To top it all off your guide is dodgy medieval reliquary trader (how I despise them!) and has to be released from the stocks before you can set off.
On the plus side Sean Bean is not the troubled, brooding, chain mailed hero, (He must have been busy that week), and we have Nicolas Cage and Ron Perlman who with various accentual crimes make for a likeable world weary duo, who clearly share a strong bond of friendship. Enter young would be knight clearly drawn to (pretty) Witch and we're off!
This film is more fun than it initially promises to be, yes at times it does seem to be going down the grimmest of the medieval grim shops for a big bag of grimness but the script and the lightness of touch from the cast rescue the mood and help keep us away from the fast forward button, the film also surprises (no spoilers here!), with the occasional twist and turn ( It's no Sixth sense or Usual Suspects but...), and comes of quite the little epic towards the end! Good special effects help here and there and all in all I didn't feel like I'd wasted my time.
Not life changing but good entertainment that won't test either your brain or your patience too much. Give it go...

Black Death [DVD] [2010]
Black Death [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Sean Bean
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Grim Death..., 28 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Black Death [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Tricky one to review this, Sean Bean, and Tim McInnerny and an excellent cast are all very committed and truly convincing in their respective roles, the camera work is, for the most part, very good, the sets look convincing and there is a definite air of intrigue and menace that we can thank the Director for. One can see why the wiccans would hide in a marsh and have been afraid of the Christians who were in the middle ages fast becoming the popular religious fascist's of their day, however what one is left with is a feeling of having got out alive after finding oneself surrounded by thoroughly horrible people on both sides.
Virtually nobody comes out of this story alive and those that do you have little sympathy for.
Sean Bean must wear armour at home these days I can't imagine him in anything else but chain mail, lank hair and a beard, he's been like that since Lord of the rings and I suspect this is the extent of his current wardrobe; going to the pub must be difficult with a broadsword swinging behind you at the bar but as always he's great value and delivers the only character that is what he appears to be at the start.
The script has a made up as you go along feel and the ending is so depressing I ended up wondering why the film had been made if the only object was to destroy or pervert some characters that one had hardly come to know before disaster landed on them. It left me feeling like I had at the end of Witchfinder General, both films are very well done with good actors and effects but left me wondering why I'd want to watch other peoples lives being buggered up by the rotter's they encounter...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2011 8:34 PM BST