Profile for Clarky > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
In the Aeroplane Over the Sea [VINYL]
In the Aeroplane Over the Sea [VINYL]
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars A Piece Of Genius That Is Both Simple & Surreal, 18 Aug. 2013
In the aeroplane over the sea is for many the realization that some of the greatest things are born of simplicity. For others it is a bitter disappointment after all the hype it has gained from internet/magazine reviews and musical influence.

For me, having never heard anything classified as even remotely 'indie' I decided that this would be a good place to start. That was 6 years ago, and even today I still think that this is the greatest album ever.

Jeff captures so many penetrating themes, which include indulging in child-hood fantasy, to creating surreal worlds that would rival any. His voice is so unique, and this can either entice or turn you off the album. Needless to say, I think that it is beautiful, the way he strains the voice and almost appears to take no breaths during verses.

I seen on itunes this be described as 'a marching band on an acid trip', and this is what this is.

As for the vinyl, it comes with a poster containing what would be in the 2009 re-issue gatefold, and a download code. The sound quality is very high. The Fool still remains one of the few songs that creates an emotional response in me every time.

Watching Movies With The Sound Off
Watching Movies With The Sound Off

5.0 out of 5 stars The Transition Is Complete, 18 Jun. 2013
For Mac Miller fans the time span between 'Blue Slide Park' and now 'WMWTSO' has seen a change in style, one that I think makes Mac a complete artist (also because I like guys such as OF and Madvillian, who have similar styles).

The lyrical content has changed from talking about his past in Pitsburg to focusing on his present thoughts. The production is the best I have heard yet, and his approach in making the album - hence the name for the album - was pretty genius.

This is in a 'Digipak' form which is beautiful. Much like what Odd Future do on their releases.

If you are a Mac Miller fan you will buy this, if you are a general Rap/Hip-Hop fan who has seen that both J. Cole's 'Born Sinner' and Kanye West's 'Yeezus' are released on the same day I say buy all 3. However, I do prefer this to the other two.

Favourite Songs: 'S.D.S', 'Aquarium', 'Avian'.

Least Favourite Songs: 'Goosebumpz', 'Bird Call'.

BLACKENEDWHITE
BLACKENEDWHITE

5.0 out of 5 stars Separation from OF, 16 Jun. 2013
This review is from: BLACKENEDWHITE (Audio CD)
This re-issued version of 'Blackenedwhite' is probably my second favourite Odd Future release (Behind the OF Tapw Vol 2).

What makes this so good is because Mellowhype (Hodgy as main MC and Left Brain as Producer) are able to get away from what we consider a usual OF release. The beats are better, the hooks are better and Hodgy doesn't simply wrap about his infatuation with death, rape, violence, misogyny...

The album is great, like most OF releases it is a digitak.

Favourite Tracks: 'Loaded' (F/Mike G), "64" & "Brain" (F/Domo Genesis).

Wolf
Wolf
Offered by MEGA Media FBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Production - Worse Lyrics, 7 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Wolf (Audio CD)
For fans of 'OF' I think that this is an album that delivers.

It still showcases the edginess of Tyler, and still shows us many underlying themes in his music such as inclusion, awkwardness, abandonment, jealously and hate.

It also features the best beat production and coal production to date.

But, the lyrics in many songs really sucked. No on all, but some songs sounded like he really just threw it in the album for stock pillage.

'Jamba', 'Colossus', 'Domo23' and 'Temale' are personal favourites.

All in all if you are a fan of Tyler or OF you probably will already have this. If you are general fan of rap, you would be better advised to purchase 'Goblin' or 'OF Tape V2' first.

The Symposium (Penguin Classics)
The Symposium (Penguin Classics)
by Plato

5.0 out of 5 stars Plato makes us fall in love with the topic Love, 6 May 2013
Plato's 'Symposium' is one of the great philosophical works I have ever read.

In short - which is what this book is - the scene is an intellectual debate between multiple men on the topic of Love as both sexual love, and desire.

The introduction is very precise and informative, however, I suggest reading it after reader the text (which is only 63 pages). This is because the text itself is easy to read, and the introduction opts to discuss how to read it, whereas is best used as a concise outline of what each man says,

Plato is a genius, I suggest his other works also.

Also, Aristophanes' eulogy is hilarious and surprisingly pretty logical.

An Anatomy of Addiction: Sigmund Freud, William Halsted, and the Miracle Drug Cocaine
by Howard Markel

5.0 out of 5 stars Howard Markel presents a new addiction; this book., 12 Mar. 2013
What Howard Markel presents in this beautifully designed book (there is a tone of illustrations, I think somewhere around 130) is not only a in-depth cultural history of cocaine - with morphine and opium heavily features - but a facsinating story of how two great minds and men furthered their careers through the drug.

I read in two days, and I am sure that my research into the drugs effect will continue because of this.

Salvador Dali, 1904 - 1989
Salvador Dali, 1904 - 1989
by Gilles Néret

5.0 out of 5 stars Dali Presented Just The Way He Should Be., 22 Feb. 2013
Taschen have once again created a product that is benefiting to anyone.

Let me clarify that the Paperback is actually a soft cover with flaps, and is presented magnificently. Great size so that the pictures are clear enough for us to marvell at them.

D not expect in-depth analysis of each painting, because that is not what this is. It is a detailed account of his timeline during his life, in which we are told why he chose to paint in certain styles at certain times, how it effected his life and the impact it had worldwide.

The Further Adventures of An Idiot Abroad
The Further Adventures of An Idiot Abroad
by Karl Pilkington

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have, you'd be an idiot not to buy this;, 17 Dec. 2012
For fans of Katl Pilkinton, Ricky Gervais, Steve Merchant, An Idiot Abroad, The Ricky Gervais Show and anything else any of these three men are involved in, I assume you will assume this book is pure gold.

To those who don't, here's why.

The quality of the book itself is outstanding. I cannot stress enough how much detail and effort was put into formatting this, from including Karl's reasonings as to why he did or didn't do certain things on the list of 100 things to do before you die, to amazing quality photographs and keeping certain words the way Karl would say them.

We get a lot more from what we seen.in season two, and content that was not even featured.

Just buy it, you'll laugh at least every 2-3 minutes.

The Wind Through the Keyhole: A Dark Tower Novel
The Wind Through the Keyhole: A Dark Tower Novel
by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpeice By The Master., 12 Oct. 2012
I was skeptical about buying 4.5 of the most enticing book series I have ever read. The first 4 books of the series will be long embedded as masterpieces, the later 3, not so much. One would assume that it would follow suit of the last 3 books in terms of writing, which, if I knew it would, surely would not have bought.

However, this book is exactly what fans of Sai King and The Dark Tower needed. It filled in many gaps which I memory serves right I wanted to be filled when I first read them. As a stand-alone novel, it is perfection. In my love for Stephen King, I can admit that `The Gunslinger (Book I) isn't the most gripping for some, and that many put it down and never return to see the wonder that is `The Drawing Of The Three'. For new readers, this gives a compelling (yet, quite un-revealing) insight into both the characters of the books and the writing. My brother is one of those who stopped at book 1, after I got him to read this, he picked the series back up again and has now read the first 5 books. Fans may be divided, some feel that alternative endings need to be published, others do not. All I can say is, buy this book, it is as compelling as any of the others.

Ancient Greece (Collins Gem)
Ancient Greece (Collins Gem)
by David Pickering

5.0 out of 5 stars Trult Complelling, 25 Sept. 2012
In just 250 odd pages (about 1/3 the size of a normal book, too) Collins Gem manages to jam-pack a whole plethora of information into such a small thing. From philosophy to psychology, to mythology and misogyny (back then, of course). It is great for all ages, I am a university student studying Ancient History and it was as useful as any book. I recommend you pick up the Ancient Egypt & Rome editions also.

Page: 1 | 2