Profile for R. taylor > Reviews

Content by R. taylor

R. taylor "One Man Banned" (Wakefield, UK)

DRIVING CAR COMPASS SUCTION CUP ADJUSTIBLE
DRIVING CAR COMPASS SUCTION CUP ADJUSTIBLE

1.0 out of 5 stars All roads lead west..., 15 Jun. 2011
Completely useless - the compass that arrived didn't look like the one in the picture, and does no more than point West at all times. This is due to the metal parts of the car, but no matter where the compass is placed, it is affected.

So unless your car is plastic or wood, avoid this "in-car compass" at all costs.

I wasn't really expecting much for the price, but was hopeful considering the previous comment...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2011 1:26 PM BST

It's All About the Bike: The Pursuit of Happiness On Two Wheels
It's All About the Bike: The Pursuit of Happiness On Two Wheels
by Robert Penn

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and inspirational!, 8 April 2011
I bought this after reading an excerpt in a craft magazine.
Having just started cycling regularly again, and planning some touring, this was perfectly timed to inspire me to look beyond what my LBS offers.
Firstly, this book combines a great potted history of bikes and cycling with Robert's personal quest for his ultimate bike. The historical stuff is all very interesting and well presented, never boring, and overall very informative while remaining fun.
On to the inspiring stuff: I have been planning to invest in a proper touring bike, and had a shortlist of four or five - none hand-built, all from my LBS - when I picked this book up. Whilst I do. It have the time, money nor inclination to travel and research in the same way, I am now far more aware of the components and how they are made, and what the true functions are.
Wile I don't have the money for e Rourke frame - the builder Robert chose for his frame - I searched out one of the other frame builders he mentioned, and am planning a visit to Bob Jackson's workshop and shop in Leeds soon (I am currently selling like mad on eBay to fund the new bike!) and am as yet not certain if I will be able to buy a custom frame or not.
The information Robert presents is both incredibly interesting and useful - this book has been the most useful tome whilst I consider my next push-iron.
I would recommend this book to anyone who is planning to spend good money on a bike, anyone with an interest in bikes, and anyone who cycles regularly.
Simply brilliant!

Thunder and Sunshine
Thunder and Sunshine
by Alastair Humphreys

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly humbling..., 9 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Thunder and Sunshine (Paperback)
Such a great adventure - follows on from Mood of Future Joys, and I read them back to back.

Al makes it sound like a weekend 'micro-adventure' rather than an epic ride around the world, and never attempts to big-up his endeavours.

I just finished this, and am looking forward to reading both book again - probably in a few months!

G-SHOCK - G-100-1BVMES
G-SHOCK - G-100-1BVMES
Offered by Watch Supermarket ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than a duracell bunny..., 28 May 2009
Fantastic watch: had mine for nearly 10 years, no battery change yet. It takes all the knocks and just keeps going. Even when I demonstrate the strength by throwing it at the floor very hard, only the strap comes to pieces, but (if you can find the pieces) it all goes back together again every time!
I would like to buy a new G-shock, but will only do so if/when this one gives up - which seems like it may be never!

Special Fx Box Set
Special Fx Box Set

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but certainly nowhere near even semi-pro..., 21 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Special Fx Box Set (Audio CD)
Not worth getting the box set: there are too many effects repeated across the discs, and some of them sound pretty amateur.
If you want some basic and simple sounds, check the individual discs, and buy only the sounds you need. Otherwise find a better compilation. (I only wish someone else had provided this advice before I bought them...)

Second Toughest in the Infants
Second Toughest in the Infants
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Spoiled by one careless review, 8 Jun. 2007
Why review this album if it is not the kind of music you usually listen to? Ok, if you like Underworld and this comes as a real disappointment, then fair enough. But to have this album as a random review, and slate it, is a waste of time.

I refer to the one-star review below - check the rest of the reviews from the same person: a few negative reviews, however I can appreciate them. For example, the review for a Miles Davis album relates to the incorporation of rap, which the reviewer has a clear dislike of. Fair enough. But why slate an album simply because it is not to your taste???

I have bought some howlers in the past - my mistake - but I didn't go out of my way to rubbish them...

Anyway, A damn fine record sirs, Pearls girl is a beast of a track; it leads you in gently and smacks you square in the face with that beat. Beautiful. The rest also all great.

Don't let one bad star ruin the rest of them, if Underworld is to your taste, go get this record, and if it isn't, leave it alone (all the more Underworld for the rest of us!!)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2009 11:07 PM BST

Stadium Arcadium
Stadium Arcadium
Offered by Qoolist

5.0 out of 5 stars They got their funk well and truly hanging out..., 11 May 2006
This review is from: Stadium Arcadium (Audio CD)
Blah blah blah... all that about them not being the same as they were. Get over it, and if you can't, go back to 1989 and stay there. Of course they're gonna change.

I had mixed thoughts about By The Way, feeling that it was the most "pop" record they've made, but on reading Scar Tissue - Kiedis biog - and Fornication and discovering stuff about the dudes behind the music, heard it in a new light.

This record however, is a blinder! They've dug out the punk-funk again, Kiedis's singing/rapping/shouting, Chad's on fire, John's showing off, and Flea is still simply the greatest bassist alive! You can hear that Flea and John are back on good terms, particularly on C'mon girl; they are a 'punk-solid' team, and it show again. They have the balance of melody, tightness and pure kick-a-hole-in-the-sky jam!

Go buy this record, and play it solid for a few days. There are still surprises coming out after listening for a week.

It's good to have them back with such a great record, can't wait for the summer...