Profile for Martin Z > Reviews

Martin Z (Norwich, UK .)

Page: 1 | 2
Blood Harvest: My hunt for Jack the Ripper
Blood Harvest: My hunt for Jack the Ripper

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting new addition to the hundreds of JTR books, 1 Aug. 2014
David Andersen, who has been studying and researching the Jack The Ripper case since the 1960's, here forensically (so far as that is possible, given the passage of time) deconstructs arguments in favour of the guilt of several well-known suspects, and takes a fresh look at an 'old favourite', who in recent decades has become an unfashionable contender.
I may well have awarded 5* if not for many commas seemingly scattered around at random, and some glaringly uncorrected typing errors.
Also, in common with some other non-fiction writers, he uses the phrase 'in any event...' rather too often.
But it's otherwise well-written, and unlike some other books on this subject that I've read, from this one I've learnt some possibly very relevant facts that I'd not come across before.
Inevitably there's quite a lot of 'informed speculation', not all of which I'm convinced by, however there's more than enough here to make one think again about a certain well known suspect.
The last quarter, which I've not read yet, consists of documents likely to be helpful to any amateur researcher of this sad, sickening, and mysterious case.

Symphony No.9
Symphony No.9
Offered by MMT-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinairy symphony, surely required listening for all serious music enthusiasts., 10 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Symphony No.9 (Audio CD)
Just a quick review to counter the bizarre one posted on 24/03/2014 by ab, which is to date the only other review of this recording on Amazon by a UK based reviewer.
Although I collect classical cds I'm neither a musician or a musicologist. The only other recording of Bruckner's 9th that I know is the classic BPO/Karajan 1976 studio recording, which is very fine indeed.
As is this 1966 recording of Karajan's BPO conducted by Eugen Jochum. Both bring out the majesty, mystery, spirituality and nobility of this awesome symphony supremely well.
Having just listened, on headphones, I have no complaints whatever about the sound quality of this Jochum recording, which is almost, not quite as smooth and self-assured as Karajan's, yet perhaps marginally more lovingly heartfelt.

Mendelssohn: Orchestral Works
Mendelssohn: Orchestral Works
Offered by worldcollectabilia

3.0 out of 5 stars Competent performances of String Symphonies, but not 6 discs., 2 Jun. 2014
Not really a proper review : Just pointing out that, at least as regards the edition of this that I bought from an Amazon seller, with the same cover as depicted here : There are three cds, of Mendelssohn's complete string symphonies - Not also discs 4, 5 and 6 as stated.
Although 6 cds would comfortably fit into the case there are only spaces to mount three discs.
As for the performances of the string symphonies, by the English String Orchestra conducted, in 1988, by William Boughton, my first impression was that they were somewhat lacking in charm. But, listening again, they are enjoyable, and at the cheaper prices available this set is a bargain, if one accepts that the other three discs may not be included.
Presumably a factory error in some of these sets, maybe not all.

The Poltergeist Prince of London: The Remarkable True Story of the Battersea Poltergeist

4.0 out of 5 stars Naughty Poltergeist, 1 Jun. 2014
I enjoyed this book : A well written account of a baffling and enigmatic 1950's and '60's 'poltergeist' case, centering around Shirley Hitchings who was 15 when the strange events began.
I found some of the transcribed messages from the entity very funny. 'Don' the 'Polt' was certainly mischevious, yet undoubtedly some of his antics caused some real harm and distress to the Hitchings family, whose lives he, while at the peak of his powers, to a large degree effectively controlled, before he very gradually faded away.
The authors leave the reader to conclude whether he was a ghost, something mysteriously conjured up telekenetically, a hoax, or some combination of any or all of those.
I very much doubt that a hoax was perpetrated by the entire household, and, while there are reasons to wonder if the young Shirley may have, consciously or unconsciously, physically created some of the phenomena, it's clear enough that certain events defying rational explanation occured in the house.
I tentatively favoured the 'poltergeist subconsciously created by the energy field around a teenager' theory, over that of Donald having been the spirit of a member of French aristocracy, as he claimed, despite that some of the information imparted re. that quite impressively bore the scrutiny of research.
Yet its unexpected epilogue is intriguing to say the least. The Poltergeist Prince of London ... is not a scary 'exorcist'-style tale, but rather a fascinating and entertaining mystery within a slice of mid-20th Century British social history.

BullGuard Internet Security Latest Edition - 1 Year - 3 User Licence with 5GB of Online Storage (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Technical issue unresolved., 27 May 2014
Seems good, and I like the idea of constant 'real time' protection, which should eliminate the need for most manually initiated scans, but installing it caused my PC to crash, displaying a BSOD critical error message, every time I tried to open AOL software.
Bullguard's support team were helpful enough, until asking me to send them a file I'd already sent them.
I've given up on Bullguard, but clearly this is an unusual issue which will not affect the vast majority of its users.
Update - I still have Bullguard on my laptop, but don't like that, after turning it on, it takes a minute or two for the firewall to start working. So I think I'll revert to Norton on that too.

Sony XDRS60 DAB/DAB+/FM Compact Retro Style Digital Radio - White
Sony XDRS60 DAB/DAB+/FM Compact Retro Style Digital Radio - White
Offered by K.K. Electronics

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 17 Mar. 2014
It doesn't, at least in this room, receive any DAB stations at all. But that's because I live on the Suffolk coast. There's no remote control or ipod dock. What I love most about this radio is its amazing sound quality for its size and price, whatever type of music is listened to on it.
Some 'classical purists' may disagree with the above, however, whilst it's obviously not hi-fi, I can enjoy listening to any music through it, and can honestly say that, if I had only this, and no hi-fi system or cds, I could still enjoy music, on the radio, every day.
Despite its compact size, some may find it a bit too bulky to conveniently take, literally, anywhere. But I prefer to leave it where it is, and not to risk accidentally damaging it.
I notice that its Amazon price now is a bit more realistic than the £53.99 I paid for it, a few weeks ago, but it's still a bargain, and if you love radio, and want a good but affordable one for your bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, garden shed or wherever, you're unlikely to be disappointed with this, and there shouldn't be any dab reception issues in most less rural areas.

The Secret History of the World
The Secret History of the World
by Jonathan Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Myths and Legends, myths and legends......, 5 Mar. 2014
I was drawn to this book not least because I attended a Rudolf Steiner school, and my mother has studied his writings for many years. Which I've tried to read some of, but been deterred by the frustrating 'difficulty' of them. Jonathan Black says he's read about 30 of Steiner's books, as well as hundreds of others covering 'esoteric' beliefs and practices. Throughout he regularly references Steiner, who he rates as the most knowledgeable, remarkable and accurate teacher of spiritual, esoteric, ancient and everlasting knowledge of the 20th century. I've heard other people say that too.
I couldn't resist the premise of not only an accessible introduction to the teachings of Steiner and many other important visionaries, but also a chance to learn powerful and profound secrets, which have been guarded by secret societies for many thousands of years.
Interestingly, Jonathan Black says that Rudolf Steiner intentionally wrote in such a way as to not be too easily accessible ; He also says that an unspecified number of Steiner's books were, on his instructions, not published in his lifetime : In which case those, in Switzerland, who guard his legacy, are still waiting for what they assess to be a suitable time for their publication.
Some reviewers here opine that The Secret History of the World is very well written, others that it is very badly written. For me it began and ended interestingly enough, but the bulk of it is a long, long saga of brief outlines of hundreds of myths and legends, seemingly all presented as factual.
I admit that I speed-read through some of the long middle section, despairing of finding anything in it which I could relate in any way to life today. Which, I accept, may be due to intellectual failings on my part. It is neither very well or very badly written. But it's frequently rambling, repetitive, and apt to veer off on tangents which, though undoubtedly related, do not enhance its readability.
Jonathan Black is a pseudonym of the publisher Mark Booth. He highly, and I'm sure sincerely praises the Irish spiritual medium Lorna Byrne, whose books I presume he publishes.
I neither love or hate this book. I will keep it, and likely refer to it from time to time. I'm not qualified to comment on any possible innacuracies in it.
So what have I learnt from it? The meaning of 'mind over matter' as opposed to 'matter over mind' theories of the creation of our universe, as well as snippets of manifold other theories and realities. Apparently 'The Antichrist' is physically with us, and he is definitely not either Barack Obama or Richard Dawkins!
No powerful 'secret knowledge' is to be found in it. But just maybe some pointers in the direction of acquiring it for those who are sufficiently sincere, open minded and not easily deterred.
If you 'religiously' believe that modern science has all the answers you'll likely find it infuriating. But for the truly open and inquiringly minded it's a half-decent introduction to ancient/new ways of thinking. But be prepared to wade through a seemingly endless river of myths and legends.

Prisoners [DVD]
Prisoners [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Jackman

2.0 out of 5 stars Over-rated, 25 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Prisoners [DVD] (DVD)
I feel I've just wasted two and a half hours watching Prisoners, which is pretty-much 80% drama, 15% mystery and 5% thriller. I like classy dramas, with fine performances and depths of characterisation, but for me this was not that.
It's thoughtfully filmed, but with no outstanding performances. It depressingly drags on, psuedo-intellectually trying to convey a moral message. Unlike some other reviewers here I did not figure out the solution to the mystery anything like early on, perhaps partly because I found it only moderately involving at best. But when that became clear, I found it absurdly implausible.
You know it's about loss, grief, rage, and the unbearable pain of fearing the worst without knowing. But I warn you of a nasty shock if you don't like snakes, and of a frustratingly uncertain ending.

The Bourne Legacy [DVD]
The Bourne Legacy [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Renner

4.0 out of 5 stars 'I would stand in line for this...', 24 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Bourne Legacy [DVD] (DVD)
Just a quick 'off the cuff' review after having just watched this. Having loved the first three Bourne movies I was slightly hesitant to purchase a Bourneless sequel, which received mixed reviews. I bought a cheap used copy from an Amazon seller.
It's a bit confusing to begin with, and Jeremy Renner, as agent Aaron Cross, doesn't appear until about 30 minutes into it.
But once its main narrative, concerning our hero's involvement with a lady Doctor (Rachel Weisz) begins it gets better and better, culminating in a long, brilliantly choreographed chase through the streets and rooftops of Manila, followed by a nice, feel-good ending, suggesting another Bourne sequel without Bourne.
Jeremy Renner, though his on screen charisma is not equal to that of Matt Damon, is entirely competent in it, as are the rest of the cast. Like the earlier Bourne movies it's basically a hide and seek chase, but with a distinct identity of its own, not simply 'Bourne without Bourne'.
Like Matt Damon's Bourne's its a 12 certificate, so no sex, nudity, or much 'romance', yet the moments of tenderness between the two central characters, and the feeling that they cared for each other for me enhanced their characterisations, and helped to make it more than just an action/spy film.

The Princess Diana Conspiracy: The Evidence of Murder
The Princess Diana Conspiracy: The Evidence of Murder

4.0 out of 5 stars An important book, 2 Oct. 2013
It took me about a month to read (the kindle edition of) this book. I'm both fascinated and angered by the subject matter : Of how an essentially good person - Diana, Princess Of Wales, was viciously wiped out on behalf of sections of British Establishment, to whom she'd become extremely inconvenient. You may have gathered that I'd become convinced of that before I read Alan Power's book : From having read, and thought a lot about what, the more one looks into it, looks more and more like an expertly orchestrated 'plausible denial op', followed by a ruthless cover up.
Alan Power has to his great credit spent years researching that, and writing this book, then struggling to find a publisher. I'm sure not without some potential risk to himself.
He's not a professional writer, and as some other reviewers have pointed out, the book is not always smoothly easy to read.
I'd like to prune down some of its unnecessarily long sentences, without losing any of their meaning.
Also, it's never a good idea to write 'Do any of you think that ... ?'. The reader will think "I'm not 'any of you', I'm me". Far better to 'speak to' the individual reader by saying 'Do you think that ... ?'.
I'd also recommend John Morgan's books on the same subject : From his research he's come to almost all the same conclusions as has Alan Power.
By all means buy and read The Princess Diana Conspiracy: The Evidence of Murder, if you want to come almost as close as is possible to the truth behind a shocking episode in recent history, which all who speak for the British Establishment will wearily tell you was 'Of Course a tragic accident caused by a drunk driver and chasing paparazzi.'
You can accept that, or look beyond it. The choice is yours.

Page: 1 | 2