Profile for JohnMD > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Jaws (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Jaws (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Roy Scheider
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stay out of the water /, 1 Nov. 2010
I've seen this film several times since the first time in our local cinema . I expected it to be OK but not to live up to all the hype (at that time ) however it did . It was one of the few times when I've heard the entire audience gasp together , when that head appears !
Anyhow I thought it was about time I had a copy on DVD and it was OK with some interesting documentaries to compliment a decent copy of the film .

Jour De Fete [1949] [DVD]
Jour De Fete [1949] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jacques Tati
Offered by classicmovies2000

5.0 out of 5 stars tati, 9 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Jour De Fete [1949] [DVD] (DVD)
Glad at last to get this on DVD . The quality is as good as can be expected from a 60 year old film . The colour is OK .Given the age it's unusual to even be in colour . The humour is what you would expect from Jacques Tati ,perhaps not quite as funny as M Hulot but well worth a look .

I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue (BBC Radio Collection): Collection 2 Vol 4-6
I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue (BBC Radio Collection): Collection 2 Vol 4-6
by Humphrey Lyttelton
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Hump, 6 April 2010
Perhaps the funniest thing on the radio and on CD . The choice of Humphrey Lyttelton as compere was inspired , he is(was) a natural droll and it would be strange to have the program without him . The teams are very clever as well as funny . The only thing that remains a mystery is 'Mornington Crescent' as it appears to have only one fan , A Mrs Trellis in Wales !

Inspector Morse: The Complete Series 1-12 [DVD]
Inspector Morse: The Complete Series 1-12 [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Thaw

5.0 out of 5 stars more morse, 6 April 2010
We have been working our way though these DVDs and enjoying them .Some we had seen on TV in the past but I was surprised at how many we had missed .These are also extremely good value from Amazon and , as usual arrived very quickly .

Killer Sudoku
Killer Sudoku
by Stuart Pawley

4.0 out of 5 stars killer, 3 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Killer Sudoku (Paperback)
Some interesting killer sudoku . Starts easy and gets more difficult . The saturday Killer Sudoku from the Guardian is a favorite so I hoped that this book would be the same . I'm still working though the easier puzzles but they are fairly good so I'm hopeful that the latter puzzles will be OK .

Sony NWZB143B 4GB USB Walkman - Black
Sony NWZB143B 4GB USB Walkman - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Walkman, 12 Oct. 2009
I got this to handle stuff that my earlier walkman could not . That one only worked with Sony software and could handle mp3 files except some very long files .
This player has none of these problems but needs third party software ie Windows Media player to rip CDs . This is a disadvantage since WMP always seems to make a mess of this , failing to find the details for the Album which it saves as unknown . I have instead switched to I Tunes which does seem to find the details and is easier to use when it doesn't.
The player itself is very nice to use and sounds pretty good although the sound level is lower than the earlier player . The older sony was also better at compressing the files using their own alterative to MP3 which I still think sounds good .Somewhat shorter battery life but still very good .
So; easy to use , drag and drop works and sound quality is as good as before ( except ,of course , the files are larger ).

Reger: Organ Works Vol.9
Reger: Organ Works Vol.9

4.0 out of 5 stars Organ, 12 Oct. 2009
Yet another nice issue in this series . The price is pretty good to .

The Day The Earth Stood Still [Blu-ray] [2008]
The Day The Earth Stood Still [Blu-ray] [2008]
Dvd ~ Keanu Reeves

3.0 out of 5 stars blu ray?, 25 April 2009
I loaded this onto my computer and it wouldn't work . Seems I need an upgrade which I couldn't get . Why do they do stuff like this ? It doesn't improve the picture only annoys buyers with a product that is useless. However the digital copy allowed me to watch the film . I found this less than perfect. I expected something different from the original , which was a classic, and there I was not disappointed .Unfortunately it was not a change for the better . K R was perfect as an alien but the story failed to convince . Those aliens just wanted to destroy so were no better than us . I was hoping that before the end somebody would send the interfering busybodys home with a flea in their ear .Who the hell are they to lecture us ?

Rheinberger - Organ Works Vol 7
Rheinberger - Organ Works Vol 7

4.0 out of 5 stars organ music, 1 Feb. 2009
Another good release from Naxos of an interesting Composer . I have got most of these Organ Naxos CD's and they are always good value .

Professor Satchafunkilus And The Musterion Of Rock
Professor Satchafunkilus And The Musterion Of Rock
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 5 Jun. 2008
I've been a fan since 'Surfing with the alien ' and his albums are always enjoyable and usually I listen a couple of times on my MP3 player before deleting . This one however is staying on along with 'Surfing' . It may just be me but I really enjoy this one and it gets better each time I listen . A nicely balanced collection .

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4