Profile for ms frazzled > Reviews

Their Eyes Were Watching God
Their Eyes Were Watching God
by Zora Neale Hurston

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry In Motion, 11 Jun. 2004
No this isn't a poetry book but it is lyrical in its execution. I believed I was Pheoby listening to Janey. I was transported to the porch. I loved the way Janie's husband's seemed to appear as if by magic. I loved the lying tales reminscent of stories my family told. this is not a novel it is an oral tale written down.

Small Island
Small Island
by Andrea Levy

5.0 out of 5 stars RAF Blues, 11 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Small Island (Hardcover)
I read this book in two days, I thought a was reading the autobiography of my parents, except they came from Guyana. I arrived in England with my mother to Ladbroke Grove, via Liverpool in 1958. This book is accurate,poignant and painful I struggled to read past page 272, I could have written it myself. It is lyrical, humourous, sad, educative and evocative. I didn't want it to end. It deserves the Orange fiction prize well done Andrea.

The Unbelonging (A Women's Press classic)
The Unbelonging (A Women's Press classic)
by Joan Riley

5.0 out of 5 stars Searching For A Place To Be, 16 Feb. 2004
I found reading this book a sad and moving experience. This is the story of an eleven year old black girl who comes to Britain to live with a father and new mother who she does not know. This was a common experience for some black children in the 60's and 70's. Hyacinth ends up in care through no fault of her own. The book explores her experience of 'care', the difficulties of adolescence, loneliness and isolation and her experience of being an immigrant in a racist society.
This is an extremely well written novel, it vividly portrays Hyacinth's life as a black child, who does not seem to belong anywhere. I read this book when it was first published in 1985 and have read it many times since then. As a former Probation Officer and now a Psychotherapist I regularly recommend the text to clients and qualified and unqualified practitioners.
The Unbelonging deserves to be called a Classic.