Profile for J. M. Taylor > Reviews

Content by J. M. Taylor

J. M. Taylor "Kungka Jo" (Newbury, Berkshire, UK)

HP Deskjet 1010 Colour Printer
HP Deskjet 1010 Colour Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 May 2014
I needed a second printer for a specific job which my beast of an all in one Epsom couldn't do, printing on transparency sheets.
I purchased this as a light weight basic printer and couldn't be happier. It folds up very neatly so I can put it away in the cupboard when not in use. It doesn't have any networking capabilities, but for the price frankly I couldn't care less.
Cartridges last reasonably well and are not too expensive to replace (compared to the beast anyway), and also come in XL sizes which last even longer and are even cheaper. Oh and unlike the beast, they are also recyclable, so I can also do my bit.
It does just the job for the transparencies I need and I've also used it for printing letters and flyers with photos and am really happy with the results.

VTech Baby Cora the Smart Cub
VTech Baby Cora the Smart Cub

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, and it's OK, but..., 28 May 2014
This was bought for my 1 year old for her birthday. She already has a My Pal Violet, so we are using this as a comparison.

Out of the box, it appeared to be faulty - we pressed a button and it kept starting a song over and over and we couldn't turn it off until we had it out of all the packaging and could get to the off switch on the back. After leaving it off for a few minutes it appeared to fix itself, so we're ok with that so far, but it's only been a day, so I may amend this if it breaks again. I do note however that the instructions say to replace the batteries on first use, as the ones provided are for demo purposes only, so it may be that they are already getting flat?

On connecting to a PC and downloading the software we then hit a massive problem. My daughters name is not in the database. I've submitted a request to add it, and received a notification that this can take a while to get added if they are busy. Now this was ok, as we had the same with Violet.... BUT, I was unable to continue with the setup until I had selected a name from the list - and it didn't have any pet names we could even choose. So instead of Cora saying "Marla" we had to go with "Marwa" as it was the closest thing to it - but it sounds like it has a flipping speech impediment. Violet instead allows you to continue with no name selected, it just spells her name rather than singing and saying it.

Generally the quality of it just doesn't feel as good as Violet, but one big improvement over Violet is the velcro on the back actually covers the battery case properly and doesn't have the scratchy bits exposed - something that bugs me as I'm always worried she'll scratch her face on it.

The selection of songs and phrases is slightly better than Violet, but I wouldn't say it would be enough to sway me. If I had to choose between the two to buy, I would pick Violet. Thankfully Marla doesn't have to choose, and she seems to love it just as much as Violet.

Trust HU-4440P 4-Port USB 2.0 Mini Hub
Trust HU-4440P 4-Port USB 2.0 Mini Hub

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother with this one, 25 Jun 2008
Worked great for a couple of weeks, then 1 port stopped working, followed a week later by the remaining ports only being recognised as USB1, then they all packed in. Might be cheap but just doesn't last.

Breville JK144 Stainless Steel Jug Kettle
Breville JK144 Stainless Steel Jug Kettle

1.0 out of 5 stars One word - Rubbish, 22 Nov 2007
Some smart alec bought this kettle for our kitchen at work and it's the worst kettle I've ever seen.

Bad Points:
The keep warm function on it can't be very environmentally friendly, as it's using electricity all the time. It doesn't keep the water at boiling temperature, so you have to reboil anyway if you want a decent cup of tea, and to top it all off, after just 1 day the entire bottom of the kettle is covered in limescale and there's a lip at the top of the kettle which prevents you from being able to tip the limescale out effectively.

Good Point:
The lights look pretty, although you would be excused for confusing it for a christmas tree.

All in all I would not recommend this kettle - I wish they had bought the one with the built in Brita filter.