Profile for Cokey2008 > Reviews

Cokey2008 "cokey2005"

Giant Steps
Giant Steps

5.0 out of 5 stars Just rediscovered this jam-packed classic!, 2 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Giant Steps (Audio CD)
Mention the Boo Radley to your average music listener and they'll say "Wake Up, it's a beautiful morning? Yeah, they were alright, I suppose". Now mention the Boo Radleys to anyone that has heard Giant Steps and they will say "Lazarus, I hang Suspended, Leaves and Sand, Barney...and me? Man, they were such a s..t-hot band!"
I Recently decided to give Giant Steps a spin for the first time in about 6 years. I've had it stuck in my head now all week and it's right back on my playlist. The entire album is a trip for me - not just down memory lane but back to listening to music, damn good music, LOUD! From the first song to the last, the Boo Radleys fire catchy guitars, lyrics, and rhythms at your ears, tune after tune. The Beatles and Beach Boy influences are clear but with more originality than the likes of Oasis.
The album is a journey and quite a long one at that. From the dub of 'Upon 9th and Fairchild', Butterfly McQueen and the seminal 'Lazarus' to the rampaging guitars in 'I hang suspended', 'Leaves and Sand', 'I've lost the reason' and again in 'Lazarus', the Boo Radleys soared me through my Sunday afternoon (and many trashed days and nights in the 90s). From take off till landing the in-flight entertainment is first class.
For me the album stands the test of time incredibly well (unlike so many other albums of the era) and I will keep on coming back to it while I still have my hearing somewhat in-tact. It's a shame the Boo's will be remembered for the mediocre stuff like 'Wake up' and not for this, their ultimate masterpiece.