Profile for Mrs. S. R. Wray > Reviews

Content by Mrs. S. R. Wray

Mrs. S. R. Wray "Sarah Wray - writer of teen fiction" (Belfast)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Paradise News
Paradise News
by David Lodge

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 11 Mar 2010
This review is from: Paradise News (Paperback)
My book group read Deaf Sentence, by David Lodge, who I'd never heard of before, and I really liked it, so when I saw this book (Paradise News) in a charity shop I snapped it up, and it was a pound well spent! I found the book laugh out loud funny, without being silly and annoying as some 'comedy' writing is. I totally identified with the main character, even though he's a single man and I'm a married woman.

Lodge's writing is full of emotional depth without being bogged down with it and his plots are interesting enough to keep his great characters busy while we get to know them. I liked the little cast of extras in this one who gave us funny moments to allow us to take a breather from the deeper sadder part of Bernard's story.

I love it when I find a new writer as good as this (I know David Lodge is not new, I mean new to me) and I'm so glad that the second book I read by him was as least as enjoyable as the first. Now I want to read everything the man has ever written .

De'Longhi ICM2B Filter Coffee Maker, 10 Cup
De'Longhi ICM2B Filter Coffee Maker, 10 Cup

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm very happy with my new coffee maker, 23 Feb 2010
I've had this coffee maker for a couple of weeks now and I'm very happy with it. It did smell plasticy at first but that soon faded. I find it simplicity itself to use and easy enought to clean and I really like the coffee it makes. It looks quite sexy with it's black curves on my worktop. I usually make enough for at least two big mug fulls in the morning, and have one with breakfast. The other is still hot and lovely when I stop work mid morning for a coffee break, or if my writing is going really well, the coffee is still hot when I go down for a late lunch!

Killing God
Killing God
by Kevin Brooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly good writing, 14 Feb 2010
This review is from: Killing God (Paperback)
As a writer of teen fiction myself, I occasionally read other books in the genre, but only if I think I'm going to enjoy them, and I always enjoy Kevin Brooks Books. As usual, the writing in Killing God is stunningly good - easy to read and yet profound. He's obviously a genius at what he does and yet he makes it feel effortless. I wish he would give up writing to give the rest of us a chance to be half as good (just kidding!). The book is very gripping and a little bleak (it's probably not my favourite Kevin Brooks book, I think that would be Lucas) it devinately evoked emotion in me, which is one of my measures of what makes a good book. I finished reading it while waiting my turn at the parent teacher interviews at my son's school and had some trouble blinking back the tears and making myself presentable when I was called in!
My daugher who is about to turn sixteen really liked the book too. I think it might be a bit much for younger kids, but then it is aimed at teens and is appropriate for that age group.

Extendable Back Scratcher by Kikkerland - Fully Retractable
Extendable Back Scratcher by Kikkerland - Fully Retractable
Offered by Hot UK Stuff

5.0 out of 5 stars Man, I love my back scratcher!, 25 Jan 2010
I really hate it when I have an itch in the middle of my back that I can't reach. Before I got my back scratcher, I would try either contorting in an attempt to reach it, or sticking a pen down my collar and usually only managing to draw on myself and my clothes. No all I have to do is reach for my trusty extendable scratcher and relief is moments away. I keep it by my computer (I work at home) and because it's small it slides easily down the back of even a fairly tight shirt collar, and scratches satisfyingly without actually hurting. My husband wasn't impressed by the look of it, until I pursuaded him to try it and then he had to agree with me that it is a very fine scratcher indeed.

simplehuman Rectangular Pedal Bin, 50 L - Fingerprint-Proof Stainless Steel
simplehuman Rectangular Pedal Bin, 50 L - Fingerprint-Proof Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant cure for bin raiding dog, 25 Jan 2010
We've had this Simple Human bin for about a month now, prompted to buy it by yet another expensive vet bill after our otherwise adorable Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Roxie, had raided the old plastic swing top kitchen bin (again!), and eaten who knows what and given herself enteritis. It's expensive, but only the price of two or three vet bills and it worked! Roxie no longer staggers around the house puking (and worse) with a tell tale trail of trash left behind her. The bin lid closes neatly without any doggie accessible overhanging bits, and the neat lid effectively closes off temping smells. It's a good size, and the bin bags that come with it fit perfectly. It's solid enough that Roxie would be unlikely to be able to knock it over, even if she showed any interest in it (which she doesn't - again I think because it traps all the smells inside). It has a nice opening and closing action, and you can lock it open if you're peeling spuds or something.
Even though I'm usually too mean to even consider spending so much on a bin, I can honestly say I don't regret this purchase one bit.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog
The Elegance of the Hedgehog
by Muriel Barbery

5.0 out of 5 stars ultimately magnificent, 18 Jan 2010
If there was ever a book that deserved sticking with, this is it. I have to admit that at first I really hated it, for all the reasons that the other reviewers who hated it gave - pretentious language, arrogant characters, boring philosophical pontification, BUT I persevered, mostly because it's my book group read, and I found myself warming to the book more and more as I got further in to it. Generally the main characters in a book go on a journey, and that's true of this book, but I think that I, as the reader, also went on a journey, perhaps even more so, as my attitude towards the characters changed until I truly loved both Renee and Paloma. As another reviewer said, the plot comes alive after the arrival of the Japanese gentleman, and I became competely gripped from this point on. Toward the end I was actually pleading out loud to the book to make things turn out the way I wanted, and having just finished reading, I'm still wiping away tears. I once read a book called 'splashes of joy in the cesspool of life' and I think that title somewhat sums up the theme of this beautiful book - beauty in the midst of tragedy. I could so easily have given up on this book, but I'm very glad I stuck with it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2011 1:50 PM GMT

Clay
Clay
by David Almond

4.0 out of 5 stars strangely compelling, 11 Nov 2009
This review is from: Clay (Paperback)
When I first started to read this book it reminded me of the things they used to make us read at school - kind of old fashioned, and definately a boys' book, I thought, but very quickly I was drawn in by the plot and the characters until I couldn't put it down. The use of language is fairly simple, and yet the story is very profound, and pretty creepy and scary too. I found I could identify well with the main character Davie, who is sweet and good hearted, and I was totally creeped out by the sinister Stephen and his crazy mind-control powers, not to mention his gift for making things out of clay. I recomended it to my twelve year old son, who read it and enjoyed it and has asked me to buy him more books by the author.

Being
Being
by Kevin Brooks

4.0 out of 5 stars Very readable, 29 Oct 2009
This review is from: Being (Paperback)
This is the third Kevin Brooks book I've read (the others being the excellent Kissing The Rain and Lucas). It was recommended to me by my fifteen year old daughter, who said she enjoyed it, although she didn't like the ending. She said, 'it's as if someone had a really good idea for a book but didn't know how to end it.' I was expecting the ending to be awful, but I didn't think it was. I was instantly gripped by the story, and I read the book in one day, bringing it about with me while I cooked and did housework. Yes, you don't get all the answers at the end of the book, but that way you can identify better with the main character, who doesn't know what's going on either. Perhaps an epilogue from the point of view of whoever or whatever left Robert outside a hospital as a baby would have been illuminating, but on the other hand, that might have been dopey. I quite like a book that leaves you questioning at the end. I think I preferred the other books I've read by Brooks in terms of character developement, but I still think Being is a very good book and Kevin Brooks is an excellent writer.

Unseen Academicals: A Discworld Novel
Unseen Academicals: A Discworld Novel
by Terry Pratchett

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, loved it, loved it!, 20 Oct 2009
I found myself caught on the horns of a hugh dilema when I realised Unseen Academicals is a discword book about football. I LOVE discword and I HATE football! The love overcame the hate, and I bought and read the new Terry Pratchett book, and I'm glad I did. I should have known better than to worry - Sir Terry could take any topic (as he did with banking and the postal service) and make it beat with the pulse of passion and sing with the beauty of angels. Yes, I LOVED it! It made me laugh out loud many times, as well as nodding thoughtfully and even wiping away the odd tear. I loved revisiting old characters, even one like Sam Vimes (one of my favourites) who only had tiny cameo roles, and I loved the new characters - Mr Nutt (whatever he is) was fabulous, as was Glenda and 'Jools' the first supermodel (even if she did have to wear a beard) and the first WAG! I know this may well be the last in the series, although I hope and pray it isn't. At least I can re-read all the old ones whenever I want to immerse myself in Ankh Morpork. Buy it. Read it. Love it (if you think you're hard enough.)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2009 12:05 AM BST

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day [DVD]
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day [DVD]
Dvd ~ Amy Adams
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Charming, 2 Oct 2009
I just finished watching Miss Pettigrew lives for a Day and I have to say I found it utterly charming. Frances McDormand who plays Miss Pettigrew is a brilliant actress and perfect for the part (I loved her in Fargo and in Burn After Reading). I thought the film was hillarious in places and sweet and moving as well and I think it's wonderful when an actress who doesn't fit with the normal Hollywood Barbie beauty look gets a great role. Amy Adams wasn't bad either - although all she had to do was look beautiful (which she is) and act like a bit of an idiot. I watched it on a rented DVD but it's definately on my christmas list now as I'd love to watch it again (every time I need a bit of cheering up). I haven't read the book (or even heard of it until now) but I'll certainly look out for that now too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2011 5:27 PM GMT