Profile for - alikat - > Reviews

Content by - alikat -

- alikat - (Brighton, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer [DVD] [1999]
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Love Hewitt
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars I still know you're laughing about last summer, 8 Mar. 2004
It's a watchable enough film if you liked the first one, but it really doesn't deserve an 18 cert. There may be more blood this time around, but it's still pretty tame stuff, an episode of ER is generally more harrowing. The only jumps you get are the ones the makers have set you up for - friend sneaks into bedroom and suddenly appears in wardrobe etc etc. The story line is thin at best, and the fisherman with the hook must be superman to survive all the beatings he took in the last film and then get shot multiple times and buried in this one...and still manage to reappear.. I laughed most of the way though, and that justifies the 3 star rating.

Bad Boys 2 [DVD] [2004]
Bad Boys 2 [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Will Smith|Martin Lawrence
Offered by Qoolist

3.0 out of 5 stars As expected., 29 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Bad Boys 2 [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
If you liked the first one then you'll probably enjoy this. This is same formula stuff, lots of action, guns, explosions etc, an old storyline and quick dialogue. As expected there's some humour kicking about, and some in fairly poor taste, but it's enjoyable enough stuff for a Saturday night. The budget was 200 million dollars and it needs to be seen just to witness first hand the amount of damage done in the chase scene, unbelievable. The actors are obviously comfortable in their roles and the script does them justice. All in all it does what it says on the tin.

Matchstick Men [DVD] [2003]
Matchstick Men [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Beth Grant

5.0 out of 5 stars A winner., 28 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Matchstick Men [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
This is film making at it's peak, absolutely fantastic. Nicolas Cage is at his best and on home ground playing the conman Roy who suffers from compulsive obsessive disorder in this crime story with a twist. The acting all round is superb, Sam Rockwell as Roy's business partner Frank, and Alison Lohman as Cage's 14 year old daughter. I won't go into the story as that would ruin it, but if you like your films slick and clever with a original story then you can't get much better than this. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Tears Of The Sun [DVD] [2003]
Tears Of The Sun [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Bruce Willis

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 26 Feb. 2004
This has everything going for it, a fine cast, a good script, good storyline, excellent filming and location shooting, and great direction. I thoroughly enjoyed it. This is not your average gun-ho American war film, it has much more depth and a far more intelligent and meaningful story. If it's suspense and action you're after then this is it, with some great jungle filming and a though provoking subject, it'll keep you riveted throughout. Highly recommended.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars An epic journey, 25 Feb. 2004
Personally I really enjoyed this film, it is quite long, but I didn't really notice. The acting on all fronts was superb (Renée Zellweger especially as the quirky Ruby). The location and scenery are awesome, much of it was filmed in Romania which apparently was a nightmare location to shoot in. While the main story is based around that of Inman's journey home to Ada, and can seem a little thin on the motivation front as they hardly knew each other before they went their separate ways, I personally see it as two inter-linked but separate stories. The first being Inman's journey home avoiding the obvious dangers and that of being caught by the home guard and tried\killed as a deserter; and the other of Ada's struggle to make a go of her life back on Cold Mountain. As I said the film is quite long, but there's a lot of content and a wide variety of scenes to keep you amused - I certainly wasn't watching the clock.

Freddy Got Fingered [DVD]
Freddy Got Fingered [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Green
Offered by DVDBayFBA

1.0 out of 5 stars Only the second film I have turned off mid way, 20 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Freddy Got Fingered [DVD] (DVD)
It all started so well with the opening credits and a skate board - I thought I was in for a comedy treat. How wrong I was, this is probably only the second DVD ever that I've rented and switched off mid film. Unless you have a real passion for really really gross humour don't bother with it.

The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen - 2 disc Special Edition [DVD] [2003]
The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen - 2 disc Special Edition [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Sean Connery
Offered by Qoolist

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright if that's your sort of thing, 20 Feb. 2004
What we have here is a bizarre movie, I've never read any of the graphic novels and I watched this film purely on seeing the trailer. The characters are all well know throughout literature (some more than others) and the concept of sticking all these would be heroes from totally different fictional backgrounds into one film sounded exciting, but in my opinion doesn't really come off. We have Captain Nemo, Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde, Dorian Gray, Tom Sawyer, the Invisible Man, Mina Harker, and the hunter Allan Quatermain all battling to save the world from war. The storyline is thin and confused and the script is fairly poor. Why they felt the need to include an American in the film in the form of Tom Sayer is very odd, especially as there really isn't much that's extraordinary about him in comparison to the others. Sean Connery does a good job as usual and the most amusing character is my opinion is probably Dorian Gray. While I was looking forward to watching this film, by about half way through I was looking at my watch and thinking about dinner. I'm not saying it's a boring film, there's just something I can't quite put my finger on, it's certainly full of action, special effects and nice locations but still left me feeling somewhat confused at the bizarreness of it all.

Say It Isn't So [2001] [DVD]
Say It Isn't So [2001] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Klein
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars The Amazon review is spot on., 15 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Say It Isn't So [2001] [DVD] (DVD)
I was going to write something about this movie, but after reading the Amazon reviewers piece I decided not to bother. For once I fully agree with it, I couldn’t have put it better if I tried - so I won't.

Buffalo Soldiers [DVD] [2001]
Buffalo Soldiers [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Joaquin Phoenix

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointing, 9 Feb. 2004
I found this film disappointing, after looking at all the rave reviews and comments on the rental cover I was expecting this to be something it wasn't. There's no real storyline, it's about general life on a US army base in Germany during peace time. Joaquin Phoenix does a good enough job as the rebel clerk who amuses himself trying one con or another, but there's no real point to the film and no real direction. There are some funny enough scenes in it, especially with a tank, but other than that it just plods along. It certainly wasn't one of the "sharpest, hippest, funniest films of the year" in my opinion and I was left feeling unsatisfied at the end.

Dirty Deeds [DVD] [2003]
Dirty Deeds [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Bryan Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly different, 8 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Dirty Deeds [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
An unexpectedly great film. Set in late sixties Australia (a welcome change to the usual American gangster flick) 2 Mafioso travel down under to try and get a piece of the gaming machine business. The script is sharp with some great comedy value, the retro look and feel is superb - the wardrobe department must have had a field day - and the soundtrack is perfect. Artily filmed with masses of colour and classic 70's split screen camera work, this film is definitely worth watching and includes a hilarious scene where are bunch of innocent pigs are in the wrong place at the wrong time; a cult classic in the making.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9