Profile for vica_kepei@hotmail.com > Reviews

The Last Broadcast
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious!, 7 May 2002
This review is from: The Last Broadcast (Audio CD)
I don't often buy albums on a whim but last week, somehow I found myself buying The Last Broadcast based on nothing more than a good magazine review (mind you, they only gave it 4 stars...), having heard only one song by the Doves (Catch The Sun). I don't know what made me get this album...but I'm glad I did! It hasn't left my CD player since I bought it - it's one of those albums that is impossible to overkill, it just gets better with every listen. You can compare it to many bands, U2, Coldplay, Radiohead, James, Starsailor, The Verve - a very illustrious company in my opinion, but the real achievement is that it never once makes you think "I've heard this before".
It's hard to pick outstanding songs, simply because they are all fantastic! Numbers like "Words", "There goes the fear", "Pounding" and "The sulphur man" sweep you away with their soaring melodies and amazing wall of sound. "The last broadcast" and "Friday's dust" are the best examples of the often underrated beauty of melancholy songs since Street Spirit. "Satellites" with its gospel harmonies and heartfelt lyrics is my (current) favourite, together with "Caught by the river" providing a mesmerising finish to a gorgeous album. I am not at all surprised that every reviewer has given the album five stars - buy it and you will know why. I am going to get Lost Souls at the first opportunity...and the Doves' next album cannot come soon enough!