Profile for Kipper > Reviews

Content by Kipper

Kipper (Medford, Oregon, USA)

Seeing the Voice of God: What God Is Telling You through Dreams and Visions
Seeing the Voice of God: What God Is Telling You through Dreams and Visions
by Laura Harris Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars There's more to dreams and visions than I thought!!, 10 May 2014
I’m one of those people that would say I do dream, but they seem so random and chaotic that I rarely remember many of them. Last night, for instance I can remember fragments of what I know were a good many dreams. I’ve always understood from what I have read that dreams are the brain’s way of processing all that went on the day before, but Laura Harris Smith isn’t buying that.

Her reasoning makes a great deal of sense. We know from the Bible that God wants to speak to us, and we also know that we spend a third of our lives asleep. Surely if that is the case, it would be crazy to think that during those 8 hours each day God doesn’t want in any way to communicate with us.

With this in mind we embark on a fascinating, helpful, gentle, practical and ultimately challenging journey with Laura as we discover that if we are listening and ready, God most certainly DOES have something to say. Lots actually!

Right off the bat I was humbled and encouraged to read that Laura and her husband are actively praying for each reader of the book, that they would open themselves up to what God has for them. Mind you, as you read on you will discover that this is not too surprising, bearing in mind what prayer warriors they both are. You feel as though Laura is gently guiding you through the realm of dreams and visions, rather than dragging you at a high-speed pace that doesn’t give you a chance to take things in.

Over the course of the journey with Laura, you will find out the types of dreams, all about visions, dream recall, and discerning spirits. There are stories and hard-hitting personal testimonies, as well as a fascinating and very thorough “Dream Dictionary” which includes the most common symbols and their interpretations, along with an equally fascinating look at numbers in the Bible. Most important, all of this is backed up by Scripture, just in case you’re thinking this might be a bit “out there”.

There are even two chapters on how to get a great night’s sleep, conducive to dreaming, including a look at some of the vitamins, minerals and essential oils that will help, along with those that hinder. Insomniacs would find these chapters helpful enough by themselves, but to be honest, even though you COULD, you would be mad to take these chapters in isolation.
Having just finished the book I am left inspired, challenged and ready to take my walk with God one step further. Armed with the knowledge that a third of the Bible deals with dreams and visions, it would be crazy not to take a step into this exciting world, and with this very readable and accessible book, Laura Harris Smith has laid down the groundwork to make this a reality.

Elizabethtown [DVD]
Elizabethtown [DVD]
Dvd ~ Orlando Bloom
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Just delightful, 5 July 2006
This review is from: Elizabethtown [DVD] (DVD)
Never believe anything that anyone else says about something as subjective as a film - be your own judge.

So check out for yourself my assertion that this is another Cameron Crowe gem. Beautifully acted and photographed, and with a solid gold soundtrack.

I spent 2 blissful hours lost in the world of Elizabethtown. can't wait to go back there.

Aerial
Aerial
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every second of the wait, 11 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Aerial (Audio CD)
I have to admit that 1993s "Red Shoes" album didn't quite cut it for me personally - the album seemed to have taken Kate's penchant for 3 to 4 minute grooves, first seen on the "Hounds Of Love" record, just a step too far, and so I approached this latest release with a little trepidation, but I need not have worried.
"Aerial" is many things: a joyous celebration of motherhood ("Bertie" - although I wonder if the lad won't be a bit embarrassed when he's older at a baroque waltz in his honour!), deep introspection ("How To Be Invisible" and "A Coral Room"), and downright brilliance ("King Of The Mountain" is a near perfect single, while "Mrs Bartolozzi" and "Joanni" are equally exquisite in their own ways).
Disc two, the "Sky of Honey" disc, is quite stunning - musically adventurous and inspiring, with moments of breathtaking beauty. Kate's imitation of birdsong is an unexpected moment of true genius - and I don't use the word lightly, believe me - on "Aerial Tal" while the closing trio of "Somewhere In Between", "Nocturn" and the title track are about as close to perfection as you'll ever get.
True, there are some baffling moments, but then, what would a Kate Bush record be without those?! Some have found the depth of this album to be not for them, but what is indisputable is that you will not hear another record anything like this for many years. Welcome back Kate.