Profile for LadyGodiva > Reviews

Content by LadyGodiva

LadyGodiva

Hildegard (Hildegard Von Bingen)
Hildegard (Hildegard Von Bingen)
Price: 14.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 30 July 2013
I wanted this as a friend plays on it and had played me an excerpt; the whole thing is absolutely beautiful, and I'm so glad I came across it. The voices are superb, the instruments used work brilliantly, and the overall effect is quite breathtaking at points. I love it.

A Stone Woman (Storycuts)
A Stone Woman (Storycuts)
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excited to get my favourite short story in kindle form!, 10 April 2013
I love this story, it is probably my favourite short story ever... if you like Byatt's writing, if you love Iceland, if you're ageing or have an ageing parent, if you're interested in rocks and the earth and the thought of how the environment is alvie, those are all reasons you might enjoy it!

The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor (Walking Dead 1)
The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor (Walking Dead 1)
Price: 1.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting for die-hard Walking Dead fans!, 10 April 2013
I really enjoyed this, and found it interesting in itself but also (mostly) in the context of wanting to know more about the characters in TWD. To be honest, the writing is *not* that great - but the overall story is nicely thought-out and structured, and the writing is definitely not bothersome or 'bad' so it doesn't interfere with enjoying all the positive aspects of the book. As a TWD fan, I really liked this - but do think you have to be a fan to get a lot out of it!

Winter's Bone
Winter's Bone
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and compelling story, 10 April 2013
This review is from: Winter's Bone (Kindle Edition)
Great writing, quite genuinely gritty at times, and I was impressed that the author got into the head of a young woman (girl, really) so convincingly... I got the book in large part because I'd very much enjoyed the film. Turns out that the film was a very interesting adaptation, quite 'true' to the novel - but the novel has some excellent, quite different elements that made the story all the more powerful, for me (e.g., the more realistic decsription of her beating, the moment in the cave, that sort of thing) - as well as more convincing characterisations.

New Age Religion and Western Culture: Esotericism in the Mirror of Secular Thought (Numen Book Series)
by Wouter J. Hanegraaff

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable synthesis of ideas and information, 20 May 2012
Taking on such a huge area of study, this book really is impressive in its scope and aims. I found it well structured, fascinating in terms of range of information and insight offered, and very good at synthesising ideas without simply repeating them.

Its approach to the topic(s) is as clearly laid out as I think it can be (given that it's no simple task to delineate an area of study for a project like this - let alone use a single, easily-outlined method!), and it does help navigate through the book, which is very helpful. And contrary to another reviewer on here, I think the method used makes sense for the task and topic at hand - to use a 'scientific' method seems like it would be rather odd and inappropriate.

Anyway, a brilliant source book for anyone studying or writing about any aspect of esoteric thought and/or the development of New Age movements and beliefs (the sections about key New Age sources are particularly useful) - and also just interesting in its own right. I got it primarily for a few sections around the relationships between western esotericism and 'eastern' religions; it was useful for that, but I ended up reading it all, as it was genuinely interesting stuff, on a wide range of areas. (The chapters on New Age Science and Neopaganism were especially interestng to me, despite having little to do with my own research!)

Duronic CH260 Compact White Multi Chopper
Duronic CH260 Compact White Multi Chopper
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value and performance, 6 April 2011
I got this specifically to see if it would work for turning roasted nuts (of various types) into a paste for use in chocolatiering work - and it does. It's an excellent, very sturdy and high performance little machine - especially for the price - and I'm very impressed. I'm now purchasing a second one for my partially-sighted mother, too, as the way it works (pressing down on the whole top piece to start it, with one large button for the "turbo" speed - so no fiddly controls) will suit her very well. Very highly recommended for small quanitites of whatever you need to chop - seems to be able to chop anything, and is easy to stop and start to get the exact size/texture you need.