Profile for Mr. N. Thompson > Reviews

Content by Mr. N. Thompson

Mr. N. Thompson "neilthompson13" (Harlow UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Legend
The Legend

5.0 out of 5 stars Spend your cash on Cash the Legend, 6 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Legend (Audio CD)
OK I wasn't initially gonna buy this. I mean only 7 unreleased songs didn't seem much of a deal really. However the magnificent 7 apart the album set also contains a fair number of hard to get cuts. The duet with Billy Joe Shaver is awesome! So is "Far Side Banks of Jordan" which is poignant in view of the deaths of both June and Johnny so close to eachother. A word too about the sound quality it is excellent. I do wonder just how much unreleased Cash is still in the vaults. I am praying it is unearthed in the same way the Presley catelogue has at last been respectfully released by BGM. Although I never met JR I did meet his back up band in 1990 on a train going up to Newcastle and they had wonderful stories about their boss.

TV Special 1972
TV Special 1972
Offered by UKMusicFiendz

4.0 out of 5 stars Let it Rock, 20 Feb 2006
This review is from: TV Special 1972 (Audio CD)
I purchased this very cheap in a discount store. Frankly I wasn't expecting too much but I got a very pleasant surprise indeed.
This was Chuck recorded at the BBC in 1972 and his voice is in grand form. He is also at his comical best and I couldn't help laughing at some of his remarks.
Stand outs are a hilarious South of the (her) Border and Beer Drinking Woman. There are also superb versions of Let it Rock which clocks in at 5 mins where he repeats the last verse with gusto and Carol. I would have given in 5 stars but for a few cracks ad pops in the sound quality which makes me wonder if it pehaps was taken from vinyl source.

Loving You
Loving You

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Loving You, 17 Feb 2006
This review is from: Loving You (Audio CD)
I waited many years to obtain a copy of the fast take of Loving You that I had first heard over the main titles at the cinema. Now I have them all 60 takes all in pristine condition. Add in a plethora of superb tracks from 57 (was Elvis ever in better form vocally?; perhaps he was in 58??) and you simply MUST buy this cd. Use your random button though to break up the sequence as a whole 60 takes of Loving You is rather a lot even for me!

Singing the Spirit Home [European Import]
Singing the Spirit Home [European Import]

5.0 out of 5 stars bogle and beautiful, 4 Feb 2006
I hadn't heard a whole lot of Eric Bogle before but invested in this as it was in a sale, and what a bargain. Listen to Leaving Nancy (although the studio version is slightly superior) and it will bring tears to the eyes of any young man who has ever left home to work away as I did back in 75. Also listen to If wishes were fishes that is sublime.

A Little Bitty Tear: THE NASHVILLE YEARS 1961-1965
A Little Bitty Tear: THE NASHVILLE YEARS 1961-1965

1.0 out of 5 stars Old Blue, 12 Jan 2006
I bought this box set when I saw it in a sale in London's West End. The cover seemed to be vintage Burl and I was eager to get home and listen to it. I had played an old Burl Ives cd I got in 1967 till it wore out. (This contained classics like "Riders in the Sky", "Lord Randall", "Old Blue" and "Greer County Bachelor".) This box is much later Burl recorded in the 1960's and although excellent sound wise is not a patch on 40's or 50's recordings.Hugely disappointing.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 1, 2014 7:47 PM BST

The Blue Ridge Rangers
The Blue Ridge Rangers
Offered by MEGA Media FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars The reason for listening, 26 Sep 2005
This review is from: The Blue Ridge Rangers (Audio CD)
Superb but just listen to two tracks before you play the whole album: You're the Reason and Hearts of Stone. Wow just shows you that there was some great rock'n'roll cut in the 70's and they say this album is country? Well ok and so was Elvis when he sang "Baby Let's Play House"!

Anthology
Anthology

4.0 out of 5 stars Dubliners at their best, 16 Sep 2005
This review is from: Anthology (Audio CD)
Indeed a superb album and who can complain at the bargain price. 1 star deducted though for leaving out the greatest folk song ever "the Bonnie Shoals of Herring" sung by Luke Kelly with total gusto!

Original Dubliners
Original Dubliners

5.0 out of 5 stars The real deal, 29 Mar 2005
This review is from: Original Dubliners (Audio CD)
This is truly the Real Deal for Folk Music. Listen out for the late (and great)Luke Kelly's soaring voice on the amazing Ewan MaColl's "Bonnie Shoals of Herring" and also "I wish I was back in Liverpool". And, unless I am very much mistaken does Luke not lapse into Scouse brogue for part of the song? Invest in this now and crack open a pint bottle of the dark stuff!

Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite
Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite

2.0 out of 5 stars Aloha-no, 14 Dec 2004
I first purchased this album in '73 when I first started work. I was disappointed then and I still am now! Throughout Elvis seems in very weak voice with very much tremble in his notes. OK Welcome to my World is good but much of the material is very much thrown away. I know other fans rave about the version of American Trilogy here but for me the '72 version at Madison Square Garden is far superior. Elvis was only just 38 when he performed here but he sounds more like a 55 year old. Thankfully the '74 Memphis record showed it was not quite the beginning of the end. Neillo "lost in the 50's tonite" Essex, UK

The 40th Anniversary Anthology
The 40th Anniversary Anthology

4.0 out of 5 stars Nobody's child, 18 Nov 2004
This is truly an incredible set, suberb sound and shows just how great Billy actually was. What does puzzle me though is the ommission of "Nobody's Child". Billy did the best ever cover of this, powerladen with emotion. I would have given 5 stars had it been included, perhaps it was left out for legal reasons?..
Neillo, Harlow, Essex