Profile for Kiat Huang > Reviews

Wolf Garten DAS Multi-Change Soil Miller
Wolf Garten DAS Multi-Change Soil Miller
Offered by Price Attack Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, but not flawless, tool, 5 July 2013
I needed tool help with my rotivation efforts on our new allotment. We already had a Wolf-Garten handle with a few attachments but they were chosen at a garden show before we got into gardening and weren't the best choices for what we ended up needing. Having read a lot of the reviews I thought this soil miller would be a good bet. Certainly it helps break up hard soil. You do have to stop and get the lumps out from between the wheels now and again, but I'm not sure that can be invented out! Am looking forward to getting the soil milled to a very fine tilth with this tool, over time.

Bacheldre Watermill Organic Stoneground Rye Flour 1.5 kg (Pack of 4)
Bacheldre Watermill Organic Stoneground Rye Flour 1.5 kg (Pack of 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely flour, 5 July 2013
My first rye flour, so not able to compare. This is slightly grey in colour, makes sourdough starter easily and tastes very good mixed with other flours. I've not tried a full rye loaf yet.

Organic Stoneground Strong White Bread Flour 16 kg
Organic Stoneground Strong White Bread Flour 16 kg

4.0 out of 5 stars Has Bacheldre lost the plot?, 5 July 2013
This is my third sack of flour from Bacheldre, the first two were Wholemeal and Plain, both also Organic Stoneground. This bag however came, not as shown in the Amazon image, but a plain white bag with a sticker on it (see http://goo.gl/D3XhS). The use by date was not filled in. So within a few short weeks from the delivery of an authentic looking brown sack, with thick string that holds the thick paper, where a human ticks the right boxes, to a thin paper sack (white paper outside and brown paper inside) that a robot perhaps touched. This is not what I envisage product from a mill which prides itself on artisan roots, with a working millstone and excellent packaging at least to their previous sacks and smaller packets, that give the impression of care and time.

Because of this I'm a little sceptical that the flour is the correct one, given that the only thing differentiating this sack from one of different flour is the little sticker. I opened it up and ran my hand through it - the flour is creamy, dense and sparsely speckled with very small particles of grain. Not baked bread with it yet, but if there's anything remarkable I'll edit this review.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2013 7:31 PM BST

Koolertron Cordless Handheld Scanner 600 DPI Resolution - Easy to instantly scan and digitize anything

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing buttons "time set", "jpg/pdf" and "hi/mi/lo", 21 Jan. 2013
Oddly, this scanner which I got today has a number of missing features which are stated in the product literature and also in the accompanying manual.
- no [time set] button (the hole simply does not exist)
- no [JPG/PDF] button (the only buttons are [POWER/SCAN], [C/BW], [DPI])
- [DPI] button does not offer HI/MI/LO options, just HI/LO

Tip: the battery compartment on my unit was really difficult to open, there is no instructions on how to open it. The way I figured it out is that it must slide out (and not up) over the end of the device so if you are looking at it from above, from left to right. I needed to get a thin knife to lever forcefully, but carefully to avoid damage, between the [POWER/SCAN] button and the compartment. Unfortunately a small scratch is left, but there's no way it would open without the help of a tool, hands were not enough.

I'm going to contact the vendor regarding this unit, as it looks like the unit is not the same as described and I'm missing key functions, especially switching between JPG and PDF, plus the HI/MI/LO resolution settings.

Will edit this review as the issues get resolved and have done a lot of scanning experience with it to share.

EDIT: I contacted Amazon soon after I wrote this and got a full refund upon returning the item.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 13, 2013 4:53 PM GMT

Perixx PERIDUO-707B PLUS UK, Wireless Mini Keyboard and Mouse Set - Piano Black - 320x141x25mm Dimension - 2.4G - Nano Receiver - On/Off Switch - 128 Bit AES Encryption - UK Layou
Offered by Perixx UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with Linux and Android, 4 July 2012
Wanted a compact, keyboard and mouse both wireless over one USB connection that works with Android and Linux generally. Checked out http://www.amazon.de/review/R2785FSO9PZ6AV which showed promise for Linux (Ubuntu) and Android. With zero setup, both work perfectly so far. Really nice bit of kit. I'm used to the USB receiver (mini-dongle) being housed in the mouse, like the Acer Revo R3*** series. Handy when storing the unit too. Got delivered within 24 hours free with Prime.

Panasonic RP-WF820EB-K FM Wireless Headphones with 100M Range and Battery Charging Stand

1.0 out of 5 stars Very noisy, deafening static when not playing music, 25 Sept. 2011
I had high hopes for this product having been through ton of use reviews here on Amazon. I have 2 gripes, 1 is a major fault and I will be returning them via Panasonic. They better have their act together because I'm no mood to be fobbed off by their customer service agents.

1. major fault
Deafening static - i.e. louder than the volume selected - immediately emits from the headphone speakers after a short delay with no music. It is an incredible unpleasant noise and am pretty sure is damaging to my ear drums - if someone with sensitive hearing used this headset with this fault it would be very painful. When I first got the headphones the delay was about 30+ seconds, now it can be less than 5 seconds. The only thing to turn the static on again is to make a sound, then the static disappears although there is always some background static. The only way to have unoticeable static is to switch the headphones off.

2. design flaw
The base is just too light, it is really flimsy and the cables connected to it (power and audio) pull the unit around making it very unstable

I have trusted Panasonic products since a kid when my family always bought their rice cookers and every electronic product I've bought from them since (admittedly not many, most of my AV stuff is Samsung), but this is a major blow to my confidence in them.

I hope their customer service is excellent and will replace these headphones with a non-fauly one.

EDIT: Soon after I wrote this review I contacted Amazon and got a replacement (different model, I paid more). The deafening static wasn't there so far but will keep at an eye (well ear!) out for it.

The Way They Play: R&B Bass Masters
The Way They Play: R&B Bass Masters
by Ed Friedland

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific for R&B/Soul players, 7 Jun. 2011
Really great interpretations of leading, historic bass players. Very good quality recordings and transcriptions. You really get a feel for the players style and they have amazing players - none more so than the great James Jamerson. Well thumbed. I learnt to play all the lines except one. I don't think I can ever let this book out of my collection. Can't wait to have time to go back to it. If you can get a portable bass amp (like the Pandora Px5D) so you can hear your playing and the CD examples together over headphones/speaker, I copied them onto my ogg/mp3 player.

Korg PX-5D Pandora Multi Effects Processor
Korg PX-5D Pandora Multi Effects Processor

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid portable bass amp : also works with Linux, 7 Jun. 2011
This Pandora Px5D unit has become indispensable : everywhere my bass goes, it goes. Majority of time I learn/practice tunes (with headphones) more than playing in bands (linked to an amp). Here are the features that stand out for me:

Positives: lots!
- mixing of bass and digital music player to get great balance for playalongs
- loop recording from digital music playerwith easy playback and persistent record
- good mix of same-pitch, variable speed loops (100%, 90%, 80%, 75%, 66%, 50%) to help figure out those fast lines!
- solid construction (although switches are plastic and no problems so far, the body is metal)
- great power management : my 2xAA rechargeable batteries last 8-10 hours
- fantastic default sounds : they're tweakable too
- works natively with Linux over USB (Audacity on Ubuntu Lucid)
- i like the way you can de-select the pre-recorded bass from the rhythms (drum machine): essential for a bass player!

Negatives: all small, no showstoppers
- wish you could recharge your AA batteries in-situ over USB (you do currently need a dedicated battery charger, bit of a hassle I spose, but I quickly got used to it)
- no way to fix to belt (i.e. clip). Am considering putting some heavy duty velcro on it
- the Windows executable program and chaing editing app doesn't work for me on Linux under Wine
- not figured out a way to separate out the two inputs bass/aux in Audacity, seems a mono input over USB, but I've not looked deeply into fixing it yet

Overall I am very happy with device - it's really helped me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2011 8:48 AM BST

SanDisk SDMX18-008G-E46K Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player - 8 GB, Black
SanDisk SDMX18-008G-E46K Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player - 8 GB, Black
Offered by AOT (UK VAT registered)

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful player except the headphone socket broke, 17 April 2011
EDIT: I RMA'd this unit to Sandisk and they sent me a new replacement, but unfortunately that also broke (the screen died) within 7 months. I can't recommend the build quality, so downgrading from 4 to 3 stars (and not a 1 or 3, simply because when it works it's a great player). [...]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've had this beauty about 7 months and have used it many hours, every day. Advantages for me are:

- plays flac and ogg files, as well as ubiquitous mp3 files
- seems to recognize id3v2 tags on mp3, flac and ogg (I use the program "id3v2" to edit tags, sometimes "easytag")
- works with Ubuntu (Lucid, in my case) in both available MSC and MTP modes
- recognized by rhythmbox and fully supports playlist drag-and-drop (i.e. within rhythmbox easily create a playlist on the Clip+ then, browse files on the Clip+ and drag them into the playlist - to keep things simple have a totally flat structure, i.e. no folders, just have everything stored under MUSIC/ and use the id3 tags to control albums etc when playing)
- charges well from USB to laptop, PC or plug - though one USB wall charger with separate cable, did not work - so might be sensitive to precise voltage
- combined view on the internal 6GB and external SD card (mine's an 8GB)
- charges up very quickly
- the clip is good, but I mostly had the clip in my pocket. It fits on my relatively normal belt or sometimes on the little front, right jeans pocket - even my running shorts, though sometimes I invert it, putting the player inside the shorts with the clip on the outside for extra security.
- light, clean and robust*

....but, a major flaw. The headphone socket is now broken for about a week. It's a mechanical flaw, the headphone or speaker cable is loose, whereas it used to fit as snug as a bug. I ended up calling SanDisk support last week after Amazon said it was outside their returns window. The UK SanDisk number redirected to a Romanian call centre and I'm now going through the RMA process. They expect *you* to pay the registered post to their depot, they pay the return which takes 2-3 weeks apparently. They'll send me a new one back. They said don't send any accessories or packaging. Illogically they send you an email saying they ack your request for RMA and tell you to wait a number of days for that RMA request to be approved - so I'm awaiting another email when that happens with the addressing detail so I can send e thing back. In the meantime they've sent me a customer survey already and they've barely done anything yet! I'll wait til I get satisfaction before considering to reply.

So, if you expect to use your SandDisk a lot, try and minimize wear and tear on the headphone socket (i.e. a lot of headphone plug removal/insertion and, more importantly, sideways stress from being in a tight space like a jeans pocket, which I guess exacerbated the problem).

Apart from that a wonderful little player that I would give 5 stars to, if not for that problem. I'm even considering buying a replacement as I wouldn't mind 2 of these things, 8GB is a lot of space so I probably wouldn't get another SD card atm.

I'll edit this post with feedback about SanDisk support after the RMA process is complete.