Profile for Derek Slone > Reviews

Content by Derek Slone

Derek Slone (Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom)

A Guide for the Perplexed
A Guide for the Perplexed
by E. F. Schumacher

5.0 out of 5 stars Scientists: prepare to have your horizons broadened, 20 Sept. 2003
First published in 1977, the Daily Mail review said "The most exciting philosophical book for ages." I can’t disagree. Schumacher considers the *big* human questions like “What should I do?” and “How can I be happy?” and argues that the methodologies of sciences are simply not up to answering such questions. He argues that we are guilty of constricting the notion of “truth” to merely that which is provable, and that we are impoverished as a result.
He insists that we *MUST* include humanities “unprovable” experiences of the universe in our personal maps of the world, and that we must look within ourselves to find the answers to the *big* questions, to find *understanding* and *insight* rather than simply knowledge.
I only wish I had read this book years ago. I now look at myself and consider myself so unbalanced... The scientist inside me is now very well developed, but there are other, greater skills that now require significant attention...

Touch Wood
Touch Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply stunning acoustic finger-work, 16 Sept. 2003
This review is from: Touch Wood (Audio CD)
A friend of mine was simply awe-struck by this guy at the Larmer Tree Festival a couple of years ago and played me tonnes of it last weekend while we were re-wiring his house - now I'm buying it myself!
I have never heard such an opening on an album. It goes from 0 to 60 in a tenth of a second with blisteringly fast fretwork. If you like Los Gauchos Alamanes, Gitbox or the California Guitar Trio then you'll find yourself at home with this guy. If you simply want to hear an acoustic guitar being played to the full - buy it!!

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (5 Volume Set) : WITH "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe", "Life, the Universe and Everything", "So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish", "Mostly Harmless"
by Douglas Adams
Edition: Audio CD

1.0 out of 5 stars Far too expensive!, 12 Sept. 2003
Don't get me wrong, the HHGTTG is awsome - possibly the best humor that has ever been on radio - and you DO want to listen to it (much better than reading it), just don't buy it in this BBC box-set!

Living With The Past [DVD] [2002]
Living With The Past [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Jethro Tull
Offered by Hardliner-music

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Stereo Music recording with some pictures, 13 July 2002
I'm being a little harsh. I'm a Tull fan and have been for years. The DVD brings back vivid memories of the 2001 tour when I went to see them in Guilford. The way they've chopped the live material with interviews does make it more entertaining. However, it could have been so much better.
The audio is only 2-ch stereo (not even ProLogic), the pictures are 4:3. They have a "Virtual Ticket Window" which is a recording of "Beside Myself" from the Hammersmith Apollo from three angles; but they've recorded it as three separate tracks when this was BEGGING to be a DVD multiple angle feature so that you can switch between the views without interrupting the song.