Profile for KEN SCOTT author > Reviews

Content by KEN SCOTT author

KEN SCOTT author "Scotty" (Spain)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Rockers and Rollers: An Automotive Autobiography
Rockers and Rollers: An Automotive Autobiography
by Brian Johnson

4.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better Brian, 26 Aug 2012
Ahh my friend I wish I'd been the writer that had got a hold of you and together we could have battered out an autobiography to be proud of. Nice... I enjoyed the read and of course your humour was there too but I wanted to read about the early days where I watched you in the Buffs Club in Heaton and your rise to stardom with AC-DC, I wanted so much more, I wanted to relive your times in Newcastle in the pubs like the Monkey Bar, and passionate fills days out at SJP not the Sports Direct Arena. If you ever have an urge to go along the book route again be sure to look me up. I'm the man!
Ken the Ghost .com

Guernica
Guernica
by Dave Boling

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Read, 11 May 2012
This review is from: Guernica (Paperback)
When I closed this book I wondered if it were possibly one of the best books I have ever read, certainly at this moment in time I can't think of anything better. True the subject matter interests me greatly so I am slightly biased but then I judge a book on the author's ability to place me within the environment he or she is writing about. In Dave Bolings book he did just that... perfectly. His use of the English language during his descriptions of rural Basque life was perfectly pitched and the conversations between the main characters of the book almost bordered on genius giving the impression of a type of broken English type of speech adding to the authenticity of the occasion. Boling set his stall out from the beginning of the book in not wishing to be too political and to allow the reader to make their own judgements and yet he captured perfectly the injustices of the time particularly against the Basque people. His depictions of the bombing of Guernica was made more powerful by the fact he endeared you to the characters caught up in the systematic savagery of the German Condor Legion. And once again the author placed me in the smouldering festering town and I felt the panic and the sheer disbelief of the townspeople caught up in such a massacre, for that's what it was. I am well aware that the death toll to this day is a hotly disputed subject but it matters not, the point is that The Lufftwaffe destroyed a defenceless civilian population terrorising them into defeat shooting anything that moved, men women and children and even cattle in the field depriving the people of Guernica a means in which to replenish and regrow almost starving them into a second submission. Again the author doesn't get too hung up on death tolls but instead takes a few unfortunate families and captures their heartache and loss of their loved ones well. I confess part of the plot was a little predictable but nonetheless it did not take away the enjoyment of the read. This is historical fiction at its best and it has everything a reader is looking for. Having studied the Spanish Civil war extensively (My own book on the subject is nearing completion) I feel Dave Boling has researched the subject accurately without boring the reader with too much insignificant detail.
I enjoyed the way it all came together in the end, a nice happy ending and why not? Reading some of the less favourable reviews it appears that a happy ending is not everybody's cup of tea. It bothered me not, Boling captured the tragedy and heartache and sheer futility of the war well, he took me through a range of emotions, anger and heartache and at times sheer admiration for the Basque population but above all he took me to Guernica on that fatefull day which should never be forgotten. I thank him for that and congratulate him for all his efforts.

The Blue Door: A little girl's incredible story of survival in the Japanese POW camps of Java
by Lise Kristensen

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Anne Frank?, 2 Mar 2012
Just when you think you've read everything there is to read about World War II along comes a true account that quite simply takes your breath away. Lise Kristensen was a small child in Indonesia when one by one her friends started to disappear. It wasn't long after Pearl Harbor, when the Japanese invaded Java and were slowly but surely rounding up all the Dutch, Norwegian, French and English residents who had settled to enjoy the idyllic lifestyle on the other side of the world in a pleasant tropical climate. Young Lise's father was the first to be taken and soon after the rest of the family were marched up the garden path at the point of a bayonet to be taken away on a truck and interned into the brutal regime of Japanese POW camps.
Nearly seventy years on Lise has painstakingly retold her horrific tale from the viewpoint of that small confused, terrified, hungry child.
Yes, quite rightly Lise has been compared to a Norwegian Anne Frank because the book captures perfectly the torment of a child made to suffer at the hands of adults and the decisions they make, inflicting so much pain and suffering on those who can do least about it. The book is heart-wrenching in its innocence, a personal triumph for the author who eventually has a little closure on memories that have surely invaded her dreams night after night right up to the present day. Lise it was a pleasure to work with you, your story is sensational.

Trafficked: The Terrifying True Story of a British Girl Forced into the Sex Trade
by Sophie Hayes

4.0 out of 5 stars Fact not Fiction., 27 Jan 2012
I'll have to be careful not to give too much away in this review as I don't want to upset the reader. Some will sit down and devour this book and will be forgiven when their imagination propels them into a fictional thriller, eager to turn each page wondering if, when, our protagonist manages to escape the evil clutches of a man not quite belonging or deserving to belong to the human race. But it is not a crime fiction book, it is a sensational and accurately detailed account of a young middle class girl's propulsion into the evil world of the sex trafficking business. As the author is pained to point out it's not just the illiterate peasant girls from Bangladesh or a poor Eastern bloc backwater who get forced into this savage industry. Mistakes... yes... Sophie Hayes will tell you she's made a few but don't let that lure you into any sort of a comfort zone thinking 'that won't happen to my daughter.' Sophie knew her pimp (for want of a better word, I can think of many more) for four years and considered him a friend and a confidant. Only when he lured her to Italy for a holiday did she discover the real man, the criminal, the drug dealing gangster, the monster who immediately put her to work on streets fraught with danger.
The book is a one off in that the thoughts and feelings, doubts and emotions of the author pour onto each page almost like a diary. A tiny bit repetitive in places but that is not to criticise the author as it makes for a more powerful account giving it a genuine almost amateurish flow. Congratulations to the publisher for that as the editors have clearly not interfered too much. I'd like to go on but I won't because as I said at the beginning, the reader needs to take themselves through the story of their own accord not be told the plot by an over anguish reviewer as so often happens. All I will say is that I hope Sophie one day gets her life back. Her demons will sadly be with her for ever or at least until the day she does what she knows is right and deep down what she really wants to do to by putting this man behind bars. By writing this book I feel she is half way there. A powerful manuscript a good police force and prosecutor can work with.

Ken Scott-Author

Lust, Money & Murder - Book 1: A Female Secret Service Agent Takes on an International Criminal (Lust, Money & Murder Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars No Nonsense., 18 Jan 2012
Quite often we see a book described as 'a fast pacey read' but this book must be the champion of champions as far as that description is concerned. The author Mike Wells doesn't hang around as he dives head long into the plot and tells it how it is, no nonsense. At the beginning of the book a young lady is about to be shoved off a cliff, I steeled myself for the scene awaiting the adjectives describing her plunge into the abyss. Wells didn't bother with that he just 'shoved her off' and moved onto the next piece of the plot. At times I craved a little more description but when I realised it wasn't coming I simply got on with the read and enjoyed the book. A free download from Kindle sets up book two nicely which of course has to be paid for but there's nothing wrong with that. If I had to level one criticism I would say that the book overall is a little short. Nevertheless well worth the 'freebie' and I'll be on my Kindle soon to download book two.

Tales of the Alhambra
Tales of the Alhambra
by Washington Irving

4.0 out of 5 stars Tales From Yesteryear., 10 Jan 2012
This review is from: Tales of the Alhambra (Paperback)
During a family break to Granada in August 2012 there was only one book I wanted to download to while away those stolen hours in the bars surrounding the Alhambra Palace while my better half trawled the boutiques and markets of this wonderful city. Washington Irving, I soon discovered (thanks to Google) was the author of Rip Van Winkle and I confess I was a little apprehensive having been force fed that particular book as a small boy. However with a love of southern Spain and the incredible history of this wonderful country I was quietly confident that 'Tales Of The Alhambra' would slake my thirst.
I was not disappointed. Although not exactly a pageturner in that I am able to read a good book in one or two sittings it was perfect for the length of time it takes to sink a particular nice rioja or two, or three. The narration and language and expressions and phrases were of course from a different era but it added to pure feeling of escapism that should always be taken from a book. To me that's what books are all about. Whether it's a crime fiction thriller, a memoir from World War II or a book such as Irvings the reader gains the utmost satisfaction if he can transport himself into the pages and chapters of the book and it takes the skill of the author to be able to do that. And with this book I was right there with our protaganist as he made his way across bandit infested Spain, across the plains and through the mountain passes and I was with him as he made his way through the gates and into the city walls of the Alhambra Palace. I even managed to steal a few chapters right there in the Alhambra as I took a break from the midday sun.
I think all devoted book readers should take time out to read something from the 1800s and Washington Irvings book is a fine place to start.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
by Stieg Larsson

4.0 out of 5 stars The Introduction of one of Literary Fictions Great Characters, 9 Jan 2012
I happened on to Steig Larsson way after all the hype but confess I wasn't disappointed. So sad that some authors only come into being after their death especially after the introduction of one of literary fictions great characters in 'Salander'.
A page turner from the very beginning and i even managed to forgive some of the over the top descriptions, for example what was in Salanders sandwiches. Nevertheless well worth plowing on with the book, great plot, just enough pace and yes, of course I did... when I finished I downloaded the second book in the trilogy.

Madeleine
Madeleine
by Kate McCann

4.0 out of 5 stars There's Only One Thing Worse Than Losing A Child., 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: Madeleine (Hardcover)
There's only one thing worse than losing a child and that's to have been made to suffer the way the McCann's have been made to suffer because of it. In this quite incredible book, Kate McCann reveals in almost diary format the events leading up to the abduction of their beautiful daughter Madeleine and more importantly the shocking and quite unbelievable police investigation (or rather the lack of it) afterwards.
It is quite difficult to comprehend the attitude of the Portuguese Police in dealing with a missing child in the immediate aftermath, it was as if they were dealing with a runaway teenager aged fifteen or sixteen years not a three year old girl in her pyjamas.
The facts make disturbing reading. Madeleine was reported missing shortly after 10pm. At 11.10 pm. two GNR policemen arrived, they normally deal with crowd control or traffic, law enforcement and the like. They were, to use Kate McCann's analogy, "a little bewildered and clearly out of their depth."
It wasn't until midnight that they bothered to inform the Policia Judiciaria, the police who should have been alerted in the first place. Those two hours were critical; they were lost and gone forever and there was worse to come.
At three o'clock in the morning the police left.
That was it for the night. No road blocks, no searches of local houses and hotels, nothing. They said they'd be back after nine the next day, leaving the McCann's and their friend's gobsmacked and helpless. Whoever took that decision to do nothing that night should be birched to within an inch of their lives. I've read (and written) enough books on crime to know that the first 24 to 48 hours in child abduction is absolutely crucial so why didn't the Portuguese Police know that? It is simply unforgivable that they totally wasted the first 12 hours... quite breathtakingly beyond comprehension... staggering.
From that moment in time the McCann's and the Portuguese Police let's say, didn't exactly see eye to eye. Surprise, surprise??
Kate McCann remains quite tactful in the book for obvious reasons. She believes her daughter is still alive and still needs the help of the Police in Portugal so she didn't exactly say what a pack of useless incompetent unprofessional people they were. But they were, make no mistake about it, at least they were in those oh so crucial first few days. Whilst I'm on a rant I'd like to give it to certain journalists too, the hacks that ganged up on the McCann's with false accusations and sensational unfounded headlines based on lies. The McCann's had to build bridges with these so called professionals to keep Madeleine in the public eye and some of them knifed the poor couple in the back even accusing them of killing their daughter at one stage.
An Alien flying in from outer space could be forgiven for picking up this book in the local library and thinking it was a work of crime fiction. And yet no... the police incompetence and the sheer audacity and cruelty of the parasitic tabloid writers would be considered a little too far-fetched for the average Martian.
The book is an absolute jaw dropping read at times and Kate McCann does an admirable job on what is clearly a very difficult write. And her desperation shines through every page as well as her unconditional love for her children who she clearly loves more than life itself. Kate McCann speaks from the heart in an honest and open manner giving the McCann's version of events pouring ridicule on some of the crap written about them since that terrible day.
Do I blame the McCann's for leaving their children in an apartment they could see from where they sat? No I don't. As a parent you take instinctive actions and judge situations every day and some of them you get wrong. As a parent I've made wrong decisions but the worst that has happened is a split lip or a grazed knee. Every time you leave a child with a babysitter or a child minder, or a nursery nurse you take a chance. Leave a young child in a hotel room with a baby listening service and you are placing your trust in a stranger you haven't even met and how many of us have done that? How do you know that the stranger listening in to your child sleeping isn't the local paedophile biding his time?
If the McCann's could turn the clock back I'm sure they would, that is clear for anyone to see reading this book but then hindsight is a wonderful thing. I urge you to read it with an open mind not like some of the one star reviewers who haven't actually reviewed the book but instead professed to be the most perfect, infallible parents in the world. There for the grace of god and all that. Talking of god, as an atheist it saddened me so much to read how much time the McCann's wasted on divine intervention even taking time out to meet the Pope, but there again that's their choice. Kate McCann's comes over as honest sincere, compassionate woman and full of love for her family, a devout catholic and if there was such a thing as god he wouldn't have put her through this torment.

Ken Scott - Author
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2012 7:08 PM GMT

Ladybird, Ladybird [DVD]
Ladybird, Ladybird [DVD]
Dvd ~ Crissy Rock

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Ken Loach Classic, 8 April 2011
This review is from: Ladybird, Ladybird [DVD] (DVD)
Another classic from the master director. Tremendous acting performances all round especially that of Crissy Rock. Not quite sure how Loach seems to bring the best out of his actors but whatever he does it works.

SO YOU WANT TO WIN WIMBLEDON?: HOW TO TURN THE DREAM INTO REALITY
SO YOU WANT TO WIN WIMBLEDON?: HOW TO TURN THE DREAM INTO REALITY

4.0 out of 5 stars A Must Buy For Those With a Dream, 19 Mar 2011
I was lucky enough to get the galley proofs to this book some months back. So nice to see it in print. Full of good information from an author who lives and breathes the game of tennis.
An absolute must for all tennis players especially the youngster who dreams of making it to the top of their game.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7