Profile for Mister Parsley > Reviews

Mister Parsley

Christmas Yves
Christmas Yves

4.0 out of 5 stars Look Forward To Christmas Yves, 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: Christmas Yves (Kindle Edition)
Another great read from the only chick lit author this male reviewer will entertain.

It's a festive short story/novella with London as a backdrop, serving as a well plotted, amusing and clever reminder that miracles can happen at Christmas. If you've read a Nicola May book before you'll be reassured to know that her great writing style and tone are fully in evidence, too.

This book has more festive spirit than any Christmas TV commercial - recommended!

The Bow Wow Club
The Bow Wow Club
by Nicola May

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bow Wow Club - not ruff at all., 15 May 2013
This review is from: The Bow Wow Club (Paperback)
I've been waiting for this book for what seems like a very long time. Completely different from what I usually read, Nicola's books so far have been well written, twisty and ultimately very satisfying. The Bow Wow Club also mentions home made pies which gets it an extra star from me.

Although the book is a continuation of Working It Out, you don't need to have read that to enjoy this (although you should). I won't divulge any plot spoilers, but from a heartbreaking beginning the story constantly surprises in its complexity, leading up to the ending you were hoping for in the first place. It's also delightfully filthy and should have been subtitled 50 Shades of May!

I genuinely hope that Nicola May becomes one of those huge self publishing success stories you hear about. Talent will out, as they say.

The School Gates
The School Gates

4.0 out of 5 stars She weaves a web of intrigue., 15 Oct 2012
This review is from: The School Gates (Kindle Edition)
Nicola May's a fine writer and her latest book continues her excellent work. It's a twisty, turny tale of parents and their complicated lives, but written in a breezy style that makes the book difficult to put down.

There's talent in this writing and I'm looking forward to reading Nicola's next. And the one after that.

Star Fish
Star Fish

5.0 out of 5 stars Astrology And The City, 19 Dec 2011
This review is from: Star Fish (Kindle Edition)
Showing the same knack for story and conversational tone of Ms. May's previous book Working It Out, Star Fish is a really fun read.

Lead character Amy is a different kettle of fish (that's my clever joke) to Nicola's previous heroine Ruby. She's randier, edgier, funnier and yet has a soft and damaged heart. She decides to date guys under each sign of the zodiac to find her ideal man, and the story is woven well between dating adventures and the trials of her close friends.

At this price you can't go wrong with this. There must be a bunch of major publishers kicking themselves over missing this treasure.

Working it Out
Working it Out

5.0 out of 5 stars In which a 40 year old man gets quite a surprise., 20 Nov 2011
This review is from: Working it Out (Kindle Edition)
Over the years I've taken great pleasure in laughing at Chick Lit - shopping and shoes and ripply muscled window cleaners playing hard to get. To be fair to me, I'm a man. I shop online, own three pairs of shoes, and feel sad at the lack of equality in the visual maintenance industry.

I heard about Nicola May's book and the story of how she came to self publish through Twitter a while ago, and when she decided to issue it for Kindle for £1.14, I thought I'd have little to lose. Although I was a bit scared I might catch estrogen or empathy or something.

What a surprise I got. Nicola has a fantastic conversational style of writing, almost as if she's telling you a story at a dinner party. Ruby, the central character in the book, is fully rounded and her adventures in finding herself are believable, funny and a great story arc. Plus any author that can spell the word 'pooh' correctly gets an extra star. The supporting characters are realistic too; Ruby's time at the funeral parlour actually affected me as I read.

You can't go wrong at a quid for this. Even if you're a chap. Promise.