Profile for Jay Mittener > Reviews

Wraithsong: Desirable Creatures Series - Book I
Wraithsong: Desirable Creatures Series - Book I
Price: 1.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 13 April 2014
E.J. Squires really doesn't a beautiful job bringing us this enchanting story that mixes love, romance, and mythology. This is a young adult 20 something read which I think will appeal to men and women alike who have two feet on the ground and their heart in the clouds.

For those well versed in mythology this book centers and plays on the story or myth of Huldra. It's characters Sonia and Anthony are simply lovely. Their romance is one to root for and the Norse mythology is well done. Squires clearly knows the material and was able to relate it in a way that I hope would encourage any young person to sink their teeth into some mythology and broaden their knowledge base.

The writing is exceptional. I'm thrilled this is just Book I. There will be more. There are so many more stories to tell and more elaboration to find. Thanks for a great book.

Lover, Soldier, Reprobate: An International Odyssey of War and Family
Lover, Soldier, Reprobate: An International Odyssey of War and Family
Price: 6.38

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 18 Feb 2014
It's amazing how one man's life an affect and trickle down to the lives of others. It is an incredible tribute to a father that this author only has one memory of .. the memory of seeing him on the steam ship that would eventually take him away forever.
It's an excessively difficult task, it took this author decades, to compile a life in reverse of a man who was prone to wandering, had little loyalty, and barely a scrap of paternal responsibility. I often wondered why Alexander DeVolpi bothered to use all his time and energy creating this work and the answer in the end was clear.. To honor family, to connect with those he's related to on a cellular level, to learn about who he is and where he came from.

At times the book was difficult for me to read because there is so much information about so many wars and geographical locations that it didn't hold my interest, but then would come more human elements that would draw me back in. It's well done. It doesn't diminish the man, nor does it elevate his behaviors. There is pride where pride is due, and remorse where that is due too.

In the end, what is obvious is that Alexander DeVolpi may be his father's son, but he is a man with far more loyalty and family respect than his dad could have ever wished for.

The House of Charles Swinter
The House of Charles Swinter
Price: 1.94

4.0 out of 5 stars A mind twisting love., 8 Feb 2014
There are a lot of little stories going on in this book that sometimes left me a little confused for moments, but the story quickly works itself out and I found myself really loving it. The pace is really steady through the book and I found all the characters to be fascinating.

When a book can take me across the globe I'm always thrilled. This one visits Australia, Thailand, and even England with great imagery and a way about it that makes you believe you've been there as a shadow to these great characters.

I fell in love with the 80 year old Charles Swinter and really just learned that a love triangle is just three stories. These are told in a way that you can put yourself in the position of any of the people and really learn a lot from different perspectives. The book does at times as us to be critical instead of emotional thinkers and in the end that pays off because we learn something different about our emotions and the way we look at situations.

More than anything this book gave me hope. Swinter is an 80 year old man set out for love at an age where society starts to discount people as elderly or on their last leg. My heart felt happy to understand that no matter how old we are that our hearts ever stop needing a companion.

Jessie Slaymaker's Non-Existent Love Life (The Jessie Slaymaker Series Book 1)
Jessie Slaymaker's Non-Existent Love Life (The Jessie Slaymaker Series Book 1)
Price: 1.83

5.0 out of 5 stars If Jessie's love life is non-existent.. mine is a dinosaur., 3 Feb 2014
I immediately fell in love with Jessie and her apparent complete oblivion to her own charm and attraction. She is so well written that you'll be able to see yourself or one of your friends in her. I love that Jo IIes stays true to the character she's created. Jessie grows and loves but she keeps her charm and never leaves us saying.. wtf? ..

This book will really speak to all women from dating age on because it is a brutally honest look at the foibles we all make in the name of love and fulfillment. Nothing is perfect and somehow Jessie comes out in the end happy, working it out and figuring life and love on her own terms. It's refreshing to read a story that contains so many truths about the path we all take.

This was a debut novel and I'm excited for more!

Tax Planning For Forex Traders
Tax Planning For Forex Traders
by Mr Lee Hadnum
Price: 20.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Easy to Understand!, 27 Jan 2014
I'm so fascinated by tax planning and tax law that when I saw Mr. Hadnum has published another book I was thrilled. He has brought us many great books of advice like Tax Planning for Companies, Off Shore Tax Secrets, and The World's best Tax Haven's to name a few.
What is so enjoyable about Hadnum's style is that he makes complex issues simple and easy to understand. His education and tax knowledge make you know that you are getting good advice, yet his ego is not so big that he comes off as a know-it-all.
The world of Forex trading is already complex, but as any trader knows they have to consider their tax implications with every move they make and the way this book is laid out it makes it almost like a go to reference guide.

I love how he explains income splitting to reduce tax. It's such a great concept that I think may traders don't ever consider putting into practice.

The Kramski Case (Tales of MI7 Book 1)
The Kramski Case (Tales of MI7 Book 1)
Price: 1.77

5.0 out of 5 stars From a Bond lover... Terrific!, 18 Dec 2013
Let's just start by saying that we don't get just one clever hero, we get three! Three countries are represented each with their own great guy who will capture your attention expertly .. this is a real plus for a girl who loves all things Bond and Ian Fleming.

I love this concept of a super secret M17, highly evolved of the M15 and M16 yet secret and elite- who doesn't want to believe in these highly funded super secret spy organizations that are full of amazing technology, great gadgets and super trained good guys? I do, I want to believe!

I love the book, it's multi-layered, a lot is going on and it's exceptionally well written. Each character has a good development and nothing is left in a lingering sense, yet everything resolves nicely. There are a ton of surprises, and you won't be bored at all.

I was up way past lights out reading about the secret worlds of espionage and international government double dealings.

There are more in the series- I'm getting them.

The Girl from Ithaca
The Girl from Ithaca
by Cherry Gregory
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars In love with this book!, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Girl from Ithaca (Paperback)
What a great book! I have always been fascinated, albeit uneducated in Greek mythology. This book really makes me want more. I am enthralled with the events leading up to the Trojan war.

What is so unique about this book is the vision and voice we get to experience the events through..,, a young girl, sister of Odysseus, who is 14 years old. It is a view of mythology and the important events in history that is shown to me from an age where I remember being fascinated with all things mythology related. Just this alone makes the book special.

I love the trek into Troy and I can't wait for the next book, I can't wait to see the detail and the voice for the Trojan war.

Books like this are important today because young people are no longer interested in literature or history, they are interested in stories, fables, and things that captivate them. This book so brilliantly uses it's voice to reach out and teach history without ever really giving a lesson.

Tax Planning With Offshore Companies & Trusts: The A-Z Guide
Tax Planning With Offshore Companies & Trusts: The A-Z Guide
by Lee Hadnum
Price: 20.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and Insightful., 23 Nov 2013
This is a fantastic A to Z guide about offshore companies and how they are taxed. It's been updated for the anti-avoidance rules of 2013 which is important to note.

No book, obviously, will replace getting sound advice from a tax professional but this book is perfect in it's ability to educate us all enough to know what we are talking about. To understand if our business plans are feasible and to start the process of protecting ourselves, our companies, and our assets. It also serves as a great reference guide for existing off shore companies.

We all want to understand how our capital gains from our offshore companies will be taxed and this book explains all that to us in the new framework of 2013. We can better protect our retirements and avoid paying large tax bills at home in the UK. Tax treaties are such a complex structure that everyone involved with offshore companies really should read this book and get the education. It's very well written, easy to understand, and doesn't fill you with information you don't need.

Scarface: The Ultimate Guide
Scarface: The Ultimate Guide
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I read this guide THEN watched this movie., 16 Nov 2013
I have a unique perspective as a 20 something because this is not a movie I grew up with, this was not a defining film of my lifetime. I heard about this book and decided to give it a try and I am thrilled that I did. Not only did Stevenson ignite in me a deeper understanding of Hollywood he brought a movie to life for me. Often I have heard of Scarface as a classic and a must watch but I never heard or saw true passion until I read this guide.
This guide covers all aspects of this film including music, lighting and wardrobe. Stevenson really compels us to think further on subjects that we may not have otherwise considered about movies and life. For example, he talks about on and off camera violence and concludes (teaches) that even violence we can't see in detail has a huge impact. I loved this book. I learned a lot about the making of movies and about this movie. I am now a huge Scarface fan.

The Ian Fleming Files: Operation Armada (Book 1 of The Ian Fleming Files)
The Ian Fleming Files: Operation Armada (Book 1 of The Ian Fleming Files)
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars 200 pages of pure delight., 16 Nov 2013
Damian Stevenson has quickly become one of my favorites for my kindle. This book is absolutely no exception because it feeds my love for a good thriller with some mixed in period history that make the plot and characters real. Stevenson really delivers a complex story line without ever pandering or taking his audience for granted with lazy work.
This book is like the daddy to James Bond and packed with the sexy thrills that we love the Bond series for. I loved how it transports to the 40's and teaches us a lot about the British Navy and brings you right into that era with page turning anticipation.

Page: 1 | 2