Profile for Mrs. N. G. Chesterman > Reviews

Content by Mrs. N. G. Che...

Mrs. N. G. Chesterman "chesterperson" (kent)

The Good Earth. The Bestselling Epic of a China That Was.
The Good Earth. The Bestselling Epic of a China That Was.
by Pearl S. Buck

5.0 out of 5 stars an oldie but a goldie, 29 Nov 2013
although published nearly a hundred years ago now... this is a wonderful insight to China pre revolution from someone who grew up there and spoke fluent chinese.... I expected it to be a bit dated... but in the event I couldn't put it down.... life for a common farmer at that time and in that place was hard beyond any experience that any westerner is ever likely to have.... the choices worse than Sophie's Choice.... buy it and read it... and be glad that you live in modern times and in a democracy that although not perfect will nevertheless not see you eating tree bark and mud in times of want

Vivaldi Gloria
Vivaldi Gloria
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars the famous one, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Vivaldi Gloria (MP3 Download)
fabulous recording of this famous piece... or at least... the first gloria is famous.. the rest maybe not so well known.... the choir of king's college are sublime as always.... I bought this as a present for myself as my choir is singing it at christmas and I wanted to hear how it should be done.... wonderfully of course!

Mulepack
Mulepack

5.0 out of 5 stars what every birdwatching husband needs!!, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Mulepack (Electronics)
my husband only has one hobby... birdwatching.. which he has now done for 50 years... he has the best binoculars and telescope in the world... so it is very hard to find presents for him... this is a perfect present... a way to comfortably carry his telescope while out walking.. with a useful pouch for gloves.. hat... and jam sandwich for lunch!! wonderfully designed.... perfect! and came as described and very quickly when I ordered it... I can't wait to see his face on christmas day

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking and charming..., 1 April 2013
a heartwarming story..... the sort of story that is believable because it is as philosophical as it is compelling.... makes you think about what is REALLY important in life and relationships.... and how so many of us wander through our days often unthinkingly.....

Life After Life
Life After Life
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars a story of 'what ifs', 1 April 2013
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
as always with Kate Atkinson.... well written book and a story that keeps you glued to the page.... a story full of decision points that might have made a life entirely unrecognisable if the 'other' choice had been made..... certainly makes you think about your own life! recommended.....

From Arsenic To Biologicals: A 200 Year History Of Psoriasis
From Arsenic To Biologicals: A 200 Year History Of Psoriasis
by Barbara S. Baker
Price: 14.04

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating accumulated wisdom about the causes and treatments for psoriasis, 22 Jan 2012
I have had psoriasis for 50 years now. I underwent many of the treatments described in this book but have long since found my own regime to manage it. This book is a fascinating accumulation of most of the medical knowledge that exists about this condition. Helpful for those with psoriasis, it explains the current thinking about what is known. Very technical when we get to the 1990's onwards, and there was certainly some of the explanations that I struggled with, not having either a scientific or medical background. The answer seems to be that those investigating are getting closer and closer to the 'why'...but not very much closer to how to deal with it. I wish even half of the doctors I have met had known even a fraction of any of this! Well done Barbara.....hurrah for a informative and interesting account.

Cockatoos (Red Fox Picture Books)
Cockatoos (Red Fox Picture Books)
by Quentin Blake
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars fun for adults and children, 26 July 2011
I have been a Quentin Blake fan for as long as I remember and read his books to my children when they were growing up, enchanted by his playful humour and his wonderful colourful loose style of illustrating. This time I bought the book for myself. I don't have the excuse of small children anymore but still find his books irresistable! Good for any age, and particularly for those who like to combine learning with humour and original artwork.

Davina - Super Body Workout [DVD]
Davina - Super Body Workout [DVD]
Dvd ~ Davina McCall
Price: 8.75

5.0 out of 5 stars fitness for the ordinary woman, 12 Jun 2009
I'm not built for exercise so it was with trepidation that I got into the appropriate clothes and started the DVD....now some weeks on I feel like a hero! the DVD is easy to follow and for us mere mortals there is usually a low impact alternative to the jumping about that Davina can do....the first morning I managed 15 minutes...now I am up to the full super fit portion and walk with a spring in my step. I recommend this for anyone who is frightened of the lycra clad bunnies at the gym....use this DVD in the privacy of your own home...go at your own pace....and still get there!