Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for a parent > Reviews

Content by a parent

a parent (UK)

Fat Chance: The bitter truth about sugar
Fat Chance: The bitter truth about sugar
by Dr. Robert Lustig

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has probably saved me from an early grave, 11 Jun. 2013
When I first read this book (hardback version purchased in January), I was obese with a whole host of associated health problems. I followed the "personal solutions" in part V, and now, just 6 months later, I am no longer obese. Although I am of course, delighted with my weight loss (which has stayed off), I am even more happy of the other positive health benefits - i am not lying when i say ALL of my obesity health related problems have gone. I could write a very lengthy review about how Dr Lustig's book has changed my life (and that of my 3 young children and husband) for the better, but I do not wish to bore people. Suffice to say, that I recommend this book to all readers, especially to those who have struggled with their weight problems and to those who are worried about their children's health and well being.

There's little chance that i will ever have to pleasure to meet Dr Lustig and his colleagues in person, so if they are reading this review, I would like to give them my heartfelt thanks for writing this book. Thank you! From Laura and family.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2013 10:33 AM BST

What Every Parent Needs to Know: The incredible effects of love, nurture and play on your child's development
by Margot Sunderland

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish this book was available back in 2003!, 8 Jan. 2009
I really wish I had read this book prior to having my first child. Unfortunately, the book had not been published when my first child was born.

This book confirms what I instinctively know is 'right'. However, I didn't dare voice my thoughts (or even practice them) when my first child was born because much of Margot Sunderland's advice in the book goes against what is considered as mainstream parenting practice. At least, where I live in.

For example, I have never felt comfortable with the idea of "controlled crying", whereby you leave your 1 month old baby alone in their cot, in their own room, to cry themselves to sleep. However, I was told at the time by someone was a great advocate of controlled crying, "I have never known a baby die from crying themselves to sleep". Nevermind. The book is now published and her advice is still very useful in other ways.

By the way, if you are a fan of a certain author who has written a book about routines and contented babies, you will probably not take to this book. You will probably be rather critical.
However, if you are into "attachment parenting", you will probably enjoy the read and agree with the views and reasoning.

Why Love Matters: How Affection Shapes a Baby's Brain
Why Love Matters: How Affection Shapes a Baby's Brain
by Sue Gerhardt

5.0 out of 5 stars This book should be compulsory reading prior to anyone bringing a human being into this world., 8 Jan. 2009
I truly believe this book should be a compulsory read for anyone thinking or putting themselves in a situation which will result in a human being introduced into this world.

It is a relatively simple read but it explains so well why love is important - even vital - for proper development, not only in order to be able to relate and empathise with others but also for sound mental health.

Many parenting books will talk about "developmental milestones" and so-called "must-haves" and "essential" equipment. 'Why Love Matters' is different. It's talks about what really matters, what is really essential and why.