Profile for Lucy Maud > Reviews

Content by Lucy Maud

Lucy Maud (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
03 The Huge Hair Scare (Mariella Mystery)
03 The Huge Hair Scare (Mariella Mystery)
by Kate Pankhurst

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely series for 6-9 year olds, 22 Jun. 2015
My 7 year old daughter loves these books.

The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train

2.0 out of 5 stars Superficial and forgettable, 18 April 2015
The characterisation is thin and the plot is predictable, not a terrible book but an utterly forgettable one. I won't be recommending it to others.

Shadow on the Mountain
Shadow on the Mountain
by Margi Preus

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and exciting book for tweens and teens..., 21 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Shadow on the Mountain (Paperback)
My 11 year old son loved this book. He has only been reading comics and magazines recently so it was lovely to see him sit down and read a book cover to cover in less than a day. He loved the story and found it very exciting and moving. Highly recommended.

The Kitchen Diaries II
The Kitchen Diaries II
by Nigel Slater

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book but don't buy it from Amazon!, 27 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Kitchen Diaries II (Hardcover)
A really great cookery book from an author who really knows his stuff. A pleasure to read and a pleasure to cook from.

But don't buy it from a tax dodging multinational like Amazon, buy it from your local bookstore or buy it really cheap from Sainsburys Entertainment.....they pay a morally acceptable amount of tax at least!!

The Song of Achilles
The Song of Achilles
by Madeline Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic surprise!, 16 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Song of Achilles (Paperback)
I read this book largely due to a positive review in The Times. I thought it would help increase my knowledge of Greek myths and be vaguely interesting too. I didn't realise that I would be completely blown away by the wonderful writing of this very talented author. The book is absolutely gripping, beautifully and powerfully written, and I was so sad when I finished it. It is both a story of war and a story of love, and I felt literally choked up near the end. I wanted it to go on and on and felt so sad to say goodbye to these larger than life characters! I do hope that Ms. Miller has some more ancient Greek stories in the pipeline; she is certainly very deserving of her Orange Prize.

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep

1.0 out of 5 stars Forced myself to finish it!, 22 Feb. 2012
I very rarely stop reading a book part way through, but I almost did with this one. The plot was so preposterous and so full of holes that I wonder if the editor even read all of it? How on earth has this book made it onto the best seller lists? I felt so disappointed but was determined to finish the book in case something magical happened at the end, but it didn't sadly. The dialogue was wooden, the characters unbelievable and the narrative had too many flaws to mention.

I think this book may have been written with a view to selling the film rights rather than adding to the literary canon!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2012 11:43 AM GMT

The Secrets of Aga Cakes
The Secrets of Aga Cakes
by Lucy Young

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 17 Nov. 2010
I loved the look of this book and was very keen to try a few recipes. However, I have been very disappointed. The recipes do not appear to have been tested thoroughly. I have an aga and normally have great success with aga recipes but I have had to adjust every recipe I have tried from this book. It is almost as if the cakes are too big and therefore do not cook through before drying out on the outside. I have now had this problem with 3 different cakes from this book. For example, the Swedish apple cake has a total cooking time of 50 minutes but I had to cook mine for well over an hour before it was not raw in the centre. Of course it was then overcooked on the outside. I will stick with Mary Berry or Delia from now on!

LEGO Star Wars (PS2)
LEGO Star Wars (PS2)
Offered by CDandVinyl

5.0 out of 5 stars My 6 year olds LOVE this game!, 16 May 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO Star Wars (PS2) (Video Game)
If you have a child with even the slightest interest in Star Wars and/or Lego then buy this game. My 6 year old boys love it and play it whenever they get a chance. It is very easy for such young children to get to grips with, but challenging enough to keep their interest. The great thing is that the characters can't "die" even when the player makes mistakes. Also, because it is 3+ there is no graphic violence or scary scenes. A great game and great value.

Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
by Gill Rapley

5.0 out of 5 stars So much more natural than spooning in purees all the time!!, 3 Jan. 2009
What a fantastic book! I wish I had it 5 years ago when I was weaning my eldest. My little one didn't like being spoon fed so I explored other options and came across baby-led weaning on the internet. A complete lifesaver for me and for her. She loves feeding herself and it has saved me so much time and energy. Now when we go out she will eat almost anything and her manual dexterity is excellent.

I was most worried about the choking and gagging but it is amazing how well babies can cope when you let them lead the way. I feel confident that baby-led weaning will really help my little one to be led by her appetite as she gets older, rather than led by someone spooning mush into her until the bowl is empty.

I highly recommend this book to any new parents and to any parents whose babies are not keen on being spoon fed. Try it (and feel free to combine it with a bit of spoon-feeding too, if that makes you more comfortable!)

TomTom Go 510 GPS Satellite Navigation With European Mapping (discontinued by manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars load of rubbish, 16 Aug. 2007
Sorry to be so negative but have had nothing but trouble with the Tomtom go 510 since I bought it a few months ago. The power lead doesn't fit properly, it is too loose, and so it is difficult to charge up. It takes ages to lock onto satellites once turned on so you have to factor in an extra 5 minutes before setting off. It doesn't stick to the the windscreen on my car very well (VW Golf) and regularly comes clunking off and turns itself off. Worst of all, it has twice tried to make me take a right turn where it has not been allowed (and has not been allowed for several years according to locals). I now only use the thing when I am on my own in a new area, otherwise my husband and I prefer to rely on paper maps and signs!!

Page: 1 | 2