Profile for Lucy Maud > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Shadow on the Mountain
Shadow on the Mountain
by Margi Preus

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and exciting book for tweens and teens..., 21 Aug 2014
This review is from: Shadow on the Mountain (Paperback)
My 11 year old son loved this book. He has only been reading comics and magazines recently so it was lovely to see him sit down and read a book cover to cover in less than a day. He loved the story and found it very exciting and moving. Highly recommended.

The Kitchen Diaries II
The Kitchen Diaries II
by Nigel Slater

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book but don't buy it from Amazon!, 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Kitchen Diaries II (Hardcover)
A really great cookery book from an author who really knows his stuff. A pleasure to read and a pleasure to cook from.

But don't buy it from a tax dodging multinational like Amazon, buy it from your local bookstore or buy it really cheap from Sainsburys Entertainment.....they pay a morally acceptable amount of tax at least!!

The Song of Achilles
The Song of Achilles
by Madeline Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic surprise!, 16 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Song of Achilles (Paperback)
I read this book largely due to a positive review in The Times. I thought it would help increase my knowledge of Greek myths and be vaguely interesting too. I didn't realise that I would be completely blown away by the wonderful writing of this very talented author. The book is absolutely gripping, beautifully and powerfully written, and I was so sad when I finished it. It is both a story of war and a story of love, and I felt literally choked up near the end. I wanted it to go on and on and felt so sad to say goodbye to these larger than life characters! I do hope that Ms. Miller has some more ancient Greek stories in the pipeline; she is certainly very deserving of her Orange Prize.

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep

1.0 out of 5 stars Forced myself to finish it!, 22 Feb 2012
I very rarely stop reading a book part way through, but I almost did with this one. The plot was so preposterous and so full of holes that I wonder if the editor even read all of it? How on earth has this book made it onto the best seller lists? I felt so disappointed but was determined to finish the book in case something magical happened at the end, but it didn't sadly. The dialogue was wooden, the characters unbelievable and the narrative had too many flaws to mention.

I think this book may have been written with a view to selling the film rights rather than adding to the literary canon!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2012 11:43 AM GMT

The Secrets of Aga Cakes
The Secrets of Aga Cakes
by Lucy Young

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 17 Nov 2010
I loved the look of this book and was very keen to try a few recipes. However, I have been very disappointed. The recipes do not appear to have been tested thoroughly. I have an aga and normally have great success with aga recipes but I have had to adjust every recipe I have tried from this book. It is almost as if the cakes are too big and therefore do not cook through before drying out on the outside. I have now had this problem with 3 different cakes from this book. For example, the Swedish apple cake has a total cooking time of 50 minutes but I had to cook mine for well over an hour before it was not raw in the centre. Of course it was then overcooked on the outside. I will stick with Mary Berry or Delia from now on!

LEGO Star Wars (PS2)
LEGO Star Wars (PS2)
Offered by multimedia-online

5.0 out of 5 stars My 6 year olds LOVE this game!, 16 May 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO Star Wars (PS2) (Video Game)
If you have a child with even the slightest interest in Star Wars and/or Lego then buy this game. My 6 year old boys love it and play it whenever they get a chance. It is very easy for such young children to get to grips with, but challenging enough to keep their interest. The great thing is that the characters can't "die" even when the player makes mistakes. Also, because it is 3+ there is no graphic violence or scary scenes. A great game and great value.

Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
by Gill Rapley

5.0 out of 5 stars So much more natural than spooning in purees all the time!!, 3 Jan 2009
What a fantastic book! I wish I had it 5 years ago when I was weaning my eldest. My little one didn't like being spoon fed so I explored other options and came across baby-led weaning on the internet. A complete lifesaver for me and for her. She loves feeding herself and it has saved me so much time and energy. Now when we go out she will eat almost anything and her manual dexterity is excellent.

I was most worried about the choking and gagging but it is amazing how well babies can cope when you let them lead the way. I feel confident that baby-led weaning will really help my little one to be led by her appetite as she gets older, rather than led by someone spooning mush into her until the bowl is empty.

I highly recommend this book to any new parents and to any parents whose babies are not keen on being spoon fed. Try it (and feel free to combine it with a bit of spoon-feeding too, if that makes you more comfortable!)

TomTom Go 510 GPS Satellite Navigation With European Mapping
TomTom Go 510 GPS Satellite Navigation With European Mapping

1.0 out of 5 stars load of rubbish, 16 Aug 2007
Sorry to be so negative but have had nothing but trouble with the Tomtom go 510 since I bought it a few months ago. The power lead doesn't fit properly, it is too loose, and so it is difficult to charge up. It takes ages to lock onto satellites once turned on so you have to factor in an extra 5 minutes before setting off. It doesn't stick to the the windscreen on my car very well (VW Golf) and regularly comes clunking off and turns itself off. Worst of all, it has twice tried to make me take a right turn where it has not been allowed (and has not been allowed for several years according to locals). I now only use the thing when I am on my own in a new area, otherwise my husband and I prefer to rely on paper maps and signs!!

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian
A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian
by Marina Lewycka

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it loved it loved it!, 26 Mar 2007
I had this book sitting on my shelf for ages waiting to be read. I finally finished my other, more interesting looking books and started this one. I was very well rewarded. This is a very original and well-written book that is also a page-turner, in that I couldn't wait to find out what happened next in this crazy family. The characters are wonderfully well drawn and very sympathetic and it was very interesting to learn something about the Ukraine too! I found the book very funny and very uplifting, it was a joy to read and I would highly recommend it.

Saturday
Saturday
by Ian McEwan

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant novel from a genius, 10 July 2006
This review is from: Saturday (Hardcover)
I couldn't believe it when I saw so many 1 and 2 star ratings. I thought this book was one of the best novels I have read in a long time. His prose takes my breath away, his characters are so rich and fully drawn that I feel like I know them. The detail that McEwan goes into is an essential part of the book and I found it immensely enjoyable to read. His brain surgeon protagonist is a man I would love to meet. I will be reading this one again very soon. Genius!

Page: 1 | 2