Profile for Mark Wills > Reviews

Content by Mark Wills

Mark Wills (Manchester UK)

The Great Beauty [DVD]
The Great Beauty [DVD]
Dvd ~ Toni Servillo

2.0 out of 5 stars The Great Boredom, 2 July 2014
This review is from: The Great Beauty [DVD] (DVD)
A grave disappointment. As pretentious and unoriginal as it is convoluted; a film that tempts the audience with the "so deep and meaningful that you won't understand it" card. While the photography is the only thing that keeps you awake,you kick yourself for buying the DVD because of all the journalistic hype on the cover. The dialogue is strange but unfunny as the film tries surreal verbal exchanges which miss their mark because the characters are so boring in spite of it. There isn't enough of Rome in this film as you cling on for 2 1/4 hrs and if you wanna see what this director CAN DO watch The Consequences Of Love.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2014 8:37 AM BST

Sony Bravia KDL22E5300 22-inch Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV with Freeview - Black
Sony Bravia KDL22E5300 22-inch Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV with Freeview - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving Image Legend, 8 Dec. 2009
This is my 3rd LCD TV for the bedroom, due to discontentment. I am very discerning about picture quality and I am usually at cross purposes with my wife who is only interested in content. However, even she is overwhelmed by the picture on this TV. Although the price appears to be high-ish for a TV of this size we are glad we splashed out.
What surprises me most of all is the effort involved to get a good demo of it in the various shops we visited to try and buy it. They all had bluray players going, in one capacity or another - but this telly only had freeview going through it. I pushed one salesman to connect up a bluray player - and within minutes the TV was at the centre of attention in a very busy store.
Picture quality can be subjective at best and abstract at worst. But to give an example of the strength of this set - I watched "Tears of the sun" on C5 freeview last night on this TV and had forgotten (since CRT TV days) how many colours and skin tones the human skin carries.
I/we will be spending more time in front of this TV than the living room one.